Occasional crash with planning mode, recruiting & recalling

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Thrash

Occasional crash with planning mode, recruiting & recalling

Post by Thrash »

Wesnoth 1.12.0 (installed via homebrew)

I'm seeing an occasional problem when I have planning mode enabled and I do both recruiting and recalling of units. When I execute the planning, sometimes the recalled units don't seem to get recalled properly and still appeared greyed out (the recruited units appear fine). If I end the turn, the recalled units still appear greyed out and if I then try to move one of them, Wesnoth crashes (see attached report).

If I load the game at that point (which is the start of a turn, hence I have an autosave), it's as if I didn't recalled the units - the recalled units don't appear at all and I have the gold back that I used to recall them.

The problem is irregular, I'm seeing it once or twice a campaign. Turning off planning mode works around consistently. If I replay other aspects of the turn differently, it can also cause the problem to go away, but I'm not sure what exactly is meaningful.

Before I spend time trying to figure out how to recreate, is this a known problem?

TIA

(Edited to add crash report)
Wesnoth_2014-12-30-204445_XXX.crash.txt
Sample crash report
(42.39 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
iceiceice

Re: Occasional crash with planning mode, recruiting & recall

Post by iceiceice »

Glad to hear that the homebrew install is working for you.

There have been intermittent problems with planning mode crashes since it was introduced. But none of the reports on the bug tracker are reproducible. Unfortunately it's very hard to reproduce these problems consistently. The person who made planning mode has long been inactive.

I never tried to do planning mode recalls. If this is a consistent way to get a crash then the backtrace might help to solve the other problems as well.