Missing Wesnothd

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
7thWolf

Missing Wesnothd

Post by 7thWolf »

Okay, whenever I try to play Wesnoth over lan a window pops up telling me to locate and choose the file wesnothd, so I did some looking (I even did a search on my whole computer) but couldn't find it (wesnothd). So I'm guessing that, for some reason, it didn't get installed when I downloaded Wesnoth (I'm on Ubuntu, by the way). I have another computer that also has Wesnoth (the one I would be LANing with, it has Windows) and it has wesnothd, so I tried copying it over to my computer and selecting it from the menu that pops up when I try to do lan, but that didn't work (I would post the exact message, but right now [after connecting to the official server, I thought that might get the file or something, it just says: cannot connect to host]).

So my question is, is there some way I can get the wesnothd file that will actually work so that I can play lan?

Thanks!

Note: my version of Wesnoth is 1.8
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Missing Wesnothd

Post by Gambit »

You need to install the wesnoth server package.
7thWolf

Post by 7thWolf »

Okay, I installed it. But now when I try to do lan it makes it to the screen with the loading bar (which fills up/goes all the way) and then it exits and says: "could not connect to host."

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks!
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Are you using a package manager? If so, which one?

Edit: Also, I remember I had to disable my firewall to log on (or just make an exception) on Debian a while ago. Does your firewall allow Wesnoth?
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
7thWolf

Post by 7thWolf »

Um, I'm not sure. Does the Ubuntu software centre use a package manager? Because I downloaded the .deb package/file and opened it (which automatically moved over to the Ubuntu software centre) and installed it from there (if it does use a package manager, I think it's synaptic).
Does your firewall allow Wesnoth?
Heh, I don't know. How would I view my firewall?

Note: I can connect to the official wesnoth server, it only displays the "could not connect to host" message when I try to do lan
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

7thWolf wrote:
Um, I'm not sure. Does the Ubuntu software centre use a package manager? Because I downloaded the .deb package/file and opened it (which automatically moved over to the Ubuntu software centre) and installed it from there (if it does use a package manager, I think it's synaptic).
Ubuntu Software Center is a Package manager (.deb is a package, your just downloading it from elsewhere). Are you downloading the official Wesnoth? (From wesnoth.org) or from another website. (Besides Sourceforge, of course.) The official Wesnoth packages are out of date, so that MIGHT be a problem with connecting.

An easier way (In my opinion) is to just compile it yourself. Just a few simple commands can do that. Please note you will need to become Super User to do so, requiring your password.
Spoiler:
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
7thWolf

Post by 7thWolf »

No, it's still displaying the same message. However, when I tried to run this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install liblua-5.1-dev libboost1.40-all-dev
it said it couldn't find those (I don't know if that would have an effect or not, though). Everything else worked fine.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

sudo apt-get build-dep wesnoth is enough for current Debian and Ubuntu versions.

Also note that if you don’t want to compile by yourself, current Debian and Ubuntu versions have Wesnoth 1.8.something (the backports repositories have 1.8.6 I think) and you can avoid all that hassle if you just make sure to install the wesnoth-1.8-server package, or alternatively wesnoth-1.8-all or wesnoth-all.

I’d also advise you get familiarized with the real package list by using synaptic or enable advanced mode (if there’s such a thing) in the Ubuntu Software Center.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
7thWolf

Post by 7thWolf »

Okay, thanks. It actually did work, I had just chosen the wrong icon (at the time there was only the one, but when I rebooted the computer the other one showed up). I do have two other questions though:

1 - Should I uninstall the old Wesnoth (and if so, should I uninstall it or just remove its folder)?

2 - Is the new Wesnoth installed in the home directory or did it get installed somewhere else (I was just wondering, because I didn't see the add-ons folder)?

Edit:
Okay, forget the second question, I found it (it is in the same place as the other one). I am still wondering about the first one, though (will uninstalling it remove needed files, such as the editor, or does it not matter since the new one comes with its own....right).
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Was the "old wesnoth" installed via the software center? It should handle all of that for you.