[1.8] Mandatory Child Missing WML bug

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
TheChosenOne

[1.8] Mandatory Child Missing WML bug

Post by TheChosenOne »

Everytime I try to host a multiplayer game, I get this bug after playing for a few turns. This apparently happens no matter what scenario I play, so I think it has something to do with Wesnoth itself. What this bug basically does is give a warning to the host 'Mandatory Child Missing WML untested' and kicks him/her. This happens not only to the original host, but also to the subsequent hosts of the game.

I just downloaded the latest version of 1.8. Could someone please look into this ?
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Re: [1.8] Mandatory Child Missing WML bug

Post by ivanovic »

Please provide some more details:
1) When exactly does it happen? Is it always the same thing going on when this crash occurs, like eg the AI recruiting a unit of the type ABC or some player attacking with the unit XYZ or whatever.
2) Do you have a savegame that makes this reproducible in a reliable way? Some "it happens in 10% of the games by a chance of 20% in turn X" is hard for us to reproduce. The developer trying to fix this problem was not able to make it occur for him so he was not able to fix it (yet).

Yes, it is a case where something in the engine is broken but so far we have no idea where things break. This error message was our improvement for some "rare error condition" (a *general condition* that can be hit by myriads of bugs!) to make it provide some error and not just shut the game down. At the moment the code was changed so that you will get a hard crash in the next version which will likely provide us with more info about where exactly it happened.

EDIT: I opened a bug report for this. If you got any additional information, please make sure to provide it. The bugreport (referencing several forum posts mentioning this problem) is available at https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?15865.
Crab
Inactive Developer

Post by Crab »

Big thanks for reporting!
I've just fixed that particular "Mandatory WML child missing..." bug. The fix is in branches/1.8 in [rev]42123[/rev] and in trunk in [rev]42125[/rev],
and the fix will be included in 1.8.1 and 1.9.0
The usual (not only) cause was 'host sending/receiving a chat message during AI attack'
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

I found it hard to reproduce as well. Yesterday the error came up in 3/3 games that I played while today it came only in 1/4.

it was a major annoyance - good to know it has been fixed :)
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I just encountered the bug too. Happened when my troll attacked another player's outlaw archer in Isaar's Cross. Here's a screenshot:
Attachments
Image 1.png
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

psst. It's already been fixed. Read previous posts. :eng:
Mastix

Post by Mastix »

Please release 1.8.1 as fast as possible, pretty please :P