Cannot Exit Wesnoth

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Music_Ian

Cannot Exit Wesnoth

Post by Music_Ian »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, may be an installation problem or just a problem with my system, but has anybody else not been able to exit the game? I've tried using the Quit/Exit button (whichever it says) from the main menu, tried entering the map editor to try to quit, and have used alt+every F number there is, all with no avail. When I click the button on the main menu the Wesnoth pointer changes to a plain black pointer (my default on the computer is plain white) which can still move but the computer stops responding. I am running Ubuntu Linux 9.10, so ctrl+alt+delete doesn't open any task manager. In fact it does nothing, while it's supposed to bring up a shut down menu. Alt+Fwhatever does nothing either. This didn't happen the first time running the game, but every subsequent time I have had to physically turn off my computer in order to do anything. Please help!

Wesnoth version 1:1.6.5-1

I'm not including a save game file because it won't close no matter what I do, I just simply have to open the game (which so far has run perfectly, minor sound problems throughout but I attribute that to my poor computer)
m0ta

Re: Cannot Exit Wesnoth

Post by m0ta »

I experience the same with 1.7.9 and Karmic. I usually switch to vt1 (via ctrl+alt+f1) log in and kill wesnoth with killall -9 wesnoth.
Music_Ian

Post by Music_Ian »

thanks for the info, I'm new to the Linux scene, I really need to learn how to use the console...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Ctrl-f switches to windowed mode.

Can you confirm if this issue still exists in 1.7.12?
Music_Ian

Post by Music_Ian »

not yet, I may not even update though, until it's completely resolved (or some other awesome new feature/important bug fix shows up), I just don't see much point seeing as how I can play all of the game I want so far.

Anybody else know what all versions this happens in?
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

The issues is because you have libsdl-alsa installed instead of libsdl-pulseaudio, which you need for ubuntu. Switch to that one and things should work. Yes, feel free to post an official bugreport for the ubuntu bugtracker, since this is clearly an ubuntu bug!
Music_Ian

Post by Music_Ian »

are you sure? the audio is messing up, yes, but I couldn't see how that could be what is causing a system crash...

I'll try it out and get back to you
m0ta

Post by m0ta »

Well audio under Linux is sometimes... strange. Especially with the introduction of pulseaudio. And by the way, the sound system isn't crashing the whole system, since you still can kill the wesnoth process and go on.

@ivanovic: there is no such package in the repository. But I will compile the latest beta and check out if this still occurs. Might take a while since I am on a netbook.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

AI wrote:Ctrl-f switches to windowed mode.
Weird, it's not Alt+Enter?

(One of the things I dislike is the lack of standardization of keyboard shortcuts across OSes. Toggle fullscreen is like F11 on Windows, Opt+Cmd+F on Mac OS X, and Alt+Enter on Linux, and lots of apps just make up their own keyboard shortcuts...)
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
m0ta

Post by m0ta »

Just a quick note: 1.7.12 does not fix this issue.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

m0ta wrote:@ivanovic: there is no such package in the repository. But I will compile the latest beta and check out if this still occurs. Might take a while since I am on a netbook.
Right, looks like the package is now named "libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio". Basically search your system for which libsdl things you have installed and check if there is one named -alsa. If there is, remove that one and install the one named -pulseaudio.
m0ta wrote:Just a quick note: 1.7.12 does not fix this issue.
This is a known bug in Ubuntu (eg cf this bug report. It is NOT a Wesnoth bug in itself so we can't fix it and a new Wesnoth version most likely won't change anything about this behavior...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Ubuntu has marked that bug as invalid, while they haven't fixed the issue on their end. (either fix libsd1.2debian-alsa or make wesnoth-core depend on libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio)
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

AI wrote:Ubuntu has marked that bug as invalid, while they haven't fixed the issue on their end. (either fix libsd1.2debian-alsa or make wesnoth-core depend on libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio)
Yes, it was closed as invalid because the "real" bug lies in the libsdl package Ubuntu does use, as described in this bug report. Basically Ubuntu is ([sarcasm]who would have expected this?[/sarcasm]) utterly broken in some regards and Wesnoth is not the only package affected. Or, how someone commenting in the bug report formulated it:
It looks like this isn't going to be fixed easily.

They don't want to put libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio as the first dependency of libsdl1.2debian, because Kubuntu and Xubuntu don't use pulseaudio by default, and that would break them. So Ubuntu remains broken instead.
With other words: complain to the Ubuntu folks are making things overly complicated...
TheAmazingMiguelX

Post by TheAmazingMiguelX »

Hi, i'v had the same problem. First the sound crash and then i cannot exit without "killing" the game.
ivanovic wrote:Right, looks like the package is now named "libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio". Basically search your system for which libsdl things you have installed and check if there is one named -alsa. If there is, remove that one and install the one named -pulseaudio.
I've already ran synaptic and sarch for "libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio". There is a package with that name and another two named "libsdl1.2debian-alsa" and "libsdl1.2debian-all".

Then i've uninstalled "libsdl1.2debian-alsa" and installed "libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio". The problem still there.
Then i've uninstalled "libsdl1.2debian-pluseaudio" and installed "libsdl1.2debian-all". The problem still there.

i'm using "Trisquel Arwen". It's a debian based SO too.

sorry for my bad english