How to uninstall Wesnoth with Ubuntu Jaunty

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
acdspit00

How to uninstall Wesnoth with Ubuntu Jaunty

Post by acdspit00 »

What can I do to completely remove the new version of Wesnoth from my Ubuntu Jaunty OS

I am pretty sure this command will remove the bulk of it but what else would I have to remove? What will remove the reference in "games" at the home screen? If I decided to keep it what would I need to do to be able to adjust the screen so I can see the whole thing. I am running a 10.2 inch Samsung Netbook NC10 and I can't see the bottom section of the screen which makes the game unplayable. Thanks for the help.

rm -r /usr/games/wesnoth
WildPenguin

Re: How to uninstall Wesnoth with Ubuntu Jaunty

Post by WildPenguin »

If you installed wesnoth via a package manager such as aptitude, apt-get, synaptic, etc. you can remove it entirely via:

aptitude purge ~nwesnoth

I believe wesnoth will run fine on netbooks when smallgui is enabled. With removed files reinstalled, see if the following helps:

wesnoth --smallgui
lmelior

Re: How to uninstall Wesnoth with Ubuntu Jaunty

Post by lmelior »

Whoa there fella, there are very few things you should uninstall that way. How did you install it in the first place? Did you:

A: use the "Add/Remove Applications" button in the Applications menu;
B: use Synaptic;
C: use apt-get or aptitude; or
D: build it from source?

For A and B, then you remove it the same way you installed it. For C, you could do something like "sudo aptitude purge wesnoth."

For D, well that depends on what tool you used. In scons you can do a "scons uninstall," and I'm sure there are similar targets for autotools and cmake.

Alternatively, we can certainly fix your resolution problem. Are you running full screen? If you aren't but you want to, you need the full screen command line switch. You can either start your game from a terminal like this: "wesnoth -f," or you can right click on the Applications and change the behavior of the wesnoth menu entry, or you can go manually change wesnoth.desktop (I think it's in /usr/local/share/applications, but check /usr/share/applications if not). Wesnoth probably saves a configuration file somewhere too, so you might be able to just change it in game.

If you don't want fullscreen, then we'll need to do something similar, but pass the "-r WxH" option. Something like "wesnoth -w -r 800x500." I added the "-w" option to force wesnoth to start in windowed mode, in case that's not the default.

One more command line switch you might want is "--smallgui." I don't know if it changes anything in game, but it makes the title menu look nicer. This will only work with the most recent wesnoth line, however. I'm not sure if the version in jaunty's repo (is that 1.6 alpha 3?) has this option.

By the way, I play this regularly on an 8.9" Aspire One with a custom Jaunty install, fullscreen with a resolution of 1024x600. I went in and manually changed "/usr/local/share/applications/wesnoth.desktop" just as I described above.

EDIT: Ninja'd. To clarify, I basically run "wesnoth -f --smallgui"