banned for a name...

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
jukomo

banned for a name...

Post by jukomo »

yo, i have been playing wesnoth for week now, i got banned yesterday for fooling around with a gm or admin. he told me to change my name to something less provakative,i did not know how and he did not tell me the first time. i asked him "your supposed to be an admin and help people resolve their problems." he answered with something like you guys are pissing me off im going to one day ban you. i thought in my head, that sounds reasonable. then my brother told me how to change my name and then i went back in. he then said "ok jomama, your getting a week ban" im like wtf?? i wonder how do admins get accepted to do the job, and some admins abuse their power just for a minor offense...btw his name is Noy3
Jozrael

Re: banned for a name...

Post by Jozrael »

Roffles. I don't blame him.

Noy has a rather short temper, but if you're going to leave with a very provocative name and come back with a slightly lesser so one (I don't know the names that were used, obviously), Noy is just going to ban you.

Unfortunately for you, you didn't realize the amount of patience Noy has for those who don't live up to his expectations (not following the rules, asking again about whether we'd want to reduce luck in the game...).

Which is none.

See you back on the server in a week?
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

To make that pretty clear: It is not Noy's expectations, it is the expectations of the whole wesnoth project team.

The server is a jungle, sometimes, but we want to keep a minimum of manners there. If you start to spam, offend others personally, by religion, nationality or something alike, we won't tolerate that.

We have few enough people administering the server, but i can assure you, that they are chosen carefully. Noy has done this job for years now and he has done it well. His interpretation of rules is a strict one and there is nothing wrong about that.

There are always people who are trying to provoke one way or the other. Sometimes it's their age, sometimes they just don't know how to behave or miss respect for others.

Remember that even if you can't see each other, the server is a social community just like anywhere else. Would you go to a party and tell the guy next to you: "Hey, you gay idiot, i don't like your face, back off!". No, you wouldn't do that.

The same we expect from you if you come to the server. Nothing more, nothing less. There is a reason why the wesnoth project is considered to have a special and friendly community. And we want it to stay that way.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
JW

Post by JW »

Yogi Bear wrote:Remember that even if you can't see each other, the server is a social community just like anywhere else. Would you go to a party and tell the guy next to you: "Hey, you gay idiot, i don't like your face, back off!". No, you wouldn't do that.
jukomo wrote: i asked him "your supposed to be an admin and help people resolve their problems." he answered with something like you guys are pissing me off im going to one day ban you.

...btw his name is Noy3
There is a reason why the wesnoth project is considered to have a special and friendly community. And we want it to stay that way.

Put the pieces together and this is what you get.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Well lets get the other side of the story.

First off I was on the server between games. All of a sudden "Jomama" utters a racial slur. Its not directed at anybody in particular, but it was said, so I decided to ask the user to change his name, Identifying myself as an admin. He didn't respond and entered a game. I kicked him from the server. He returned and I explained it again. He didn't respond and entered another game. I kicked him again. This continued twice more until he responded; it wasn't anything memorable, and he reentered a game right after. So then I kicked him again, the fifth time, wearing my patience down to nothing. So I told him he had 30 seconds to change it or I was going to ban him for a day. He then claimed he didn't know how to do so myself and a another user explained it. What happened next? He came in as Noy5 and said "why would I ever want to have a name like this" or words to that effect. So then I banned him for a week.

Now, I should also note that Mythological was on the server at the same time as me and witnessed all of it. After the fifth kick I asked him if he agreed this warranted a ban. He did.

So yeah, thats what actually happened.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
ADmiral-N

Post by ADmiral-N »

I think people like Noy should not have to justify their moderative actions on the forums. This thread should have been locked before the first reply. After all, there's a link to deal with all related questions.
Subspace! Subspace is freeware and is the longest-running massively multiplayer internet space combat game in the world.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Anywway, there are other servers you can join in the mean time.
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

As Noy said, I was on the server when the incident happened and the user was rightfully banned for having an offensive nick, profanity and impersonating a mod. It is true that Noy did not answer jukomo's question when he said that he is new and he does not know how to change his nick on the multiplayer server, but I told him how to do it, and so did another person who was in the lobby at that moment (nick: Dark_Beer_Adept). And since Gallifax few months back told me about a person with the same nick acting like a maniac on the server, it is likely that it was all just an excuse.
Anyway, with all due respect to those who feel mistreated by the actions of the server mods and to those who think that the mods are being too harsh, I have to say - think of the alternative; what would happen if there were no rules and no "law enforcement" on the server. We would have a server where everybody would be free to impersonate everybody else, so no one would be sure who is who nor whether someone is a friend or not; it would give no possibility of organizing tournaments and ladders; a lobby filled with idiotic exclamations, profanity and hostility etc. Would that be a good place to spend a few free hours for fun and relaxation, which is the case with most of the people who play multiplayer and would that be a good way/tool to promote a free game like wesnoth and attract more players to it? Or is it the way it is now? If something, the mods should be encouraged to be on the servers more often and to work more in keeping the servers a clean and friendly place, since there are still occasional troublemakers who get away unpunished. Remember, a fair portion of wesnoth players are minors and they deserve better.
About the post above, even if it might be troublesome to justify and discuss the actions of the mods, it is still better than keeping everything under the rug by locking threads and not allowing any discussion about the issue. The mods know what they're doing, they have done a good job in the past and all the threads questioning their bans have only proven the mods' actions. After all, Soliton, Noy, jb, ping, Truper, Dragonking, Blueblaze, Weeksy and anakayub are human too, they can make a mistake (not that it was a mistake this time), and if they do, the forums are the best place to point that out and clear the things up. And despite the popular opininon on the forums, Noy is a human being :wink:, if you get on a good start with him he is OK and when you get to know him better his actions start to make sense.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Sorry, but I don't understand what is offending on the jomama name?
Does the string have a semantical meaning in english?
Google didn't help me.

Fabi
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Does it really concern you?

No.

And I really think this thread needs to be locked. We've explained this out fairly well.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.