Can't mount the disk image for the mac binary

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Feory

Post by Feory »

Okay, so this isn't a problem with the *actual game*, as such, but this still seems the appropriate place.

Running MacOS 10.3.9.

When I download the disk image for the Mac binary for version 1.3.11, it fails to mount, with the reason "no mountable file systems".

Looking this up on the internet, it seems this is usually due to it not downloading properly, or some problem with the image itself. I'd doubt it's the image itself as there doens't seem to be anything else on this on the forum.
However, I tried downloading 1.3.10, then downloaded it again, then tried the lite version, then tried downloading the full thing on my laptop, then came back the next day, saw 1.3.11 had a mac binary available, tried that, then tried downloading in a different browser, and each time the .dmg file was the correct size, so I don't think it can be a problem with not downloading fully, so finally I've turned for help here.

So, is there any way I can have it working (downloading it as something other than a disk image?) (or am I stuck playing 1.0.2 on my laptop ><)? Compiling isn't an option, as even if I could follow the instructions for compiling, we don't know where the disk with the installer for the compiling stuff is (and assuming the source code isn't in a disk image too).

Oh, and my computer can mount other disk images fine.

I hope that's enough info >< (still, better than just "It won't mount the disk image", no?)
CMonkey

Same here.

Post by CMonkey »

I'm having the same problem. I get that "no mountable file systems". I've downloaded it so much trying to see if it'll fix the problem...I've looked into compiling, but it looks a bit complicated for me. I'll donate $20, if someone can get me 1.2.8 or 1.3.12 to work.

Sincerely,

The Monkey
Bah!
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

I'm having the same problem on a Powerbook G4 running OSX 10.3.9. The problem isn't with DiskImageMounter, as I'm able to mount other downloaded disk images.
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

I had that problem downloading from the link, however the main page download seems to be working just fine.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

talk to whoever makes the mac disk images and see if they'd be willing to make an archive that you could unzip somewhere as well. That's what I'd do, at least.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Marathon Man

Post by Marathon Man »

I have Mac OS 10.3.9 on a PowerPC G4. I tried to use hdiutil to mount the 1.2.8 version. The image verified okay but, it failed because of a "no mountable file systems" error.
Here is the output from hdiutil when I tried to mount the image:

Code: Select all

Initializing...
Verifying...
Checksumming Protective Master Boot Record (MBR : 0)...

Protective Master Boot Record (MBR : 0): verified   CRC32 $43D1B0A2
Checksumming GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1)...

GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1): verified   CRC32 $43459BA6
Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Table : 2)...

GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Table : 2): verified   CRC32 $966B96F8
Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 3)...

(Apple_Free : 3): verified   CRC32 $00000000
Checksumming EFI System Partition (C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B : 4)...

EFI System Partition (C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B : 4): verified   CRC32 $125D7C7B
Checksumming disk image (Apple_HFS : 5)...

disk image (Apple_HFS : 5): verified   CRC32 $E33BAD82
Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 6)...

(Apple_Free : 6): verified   CRC32 $00000000
Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table : 7)...

GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table : 7): verified   CRC32 $966B96F8
Checksumming GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 8)...

GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 8): verified   CRC32 $5367C0A2
Verification completed...
verified   CRC32 $95991A12
Attaching...
Volume check completed…
Mounting…
Attaching...
Finishing...
hdiutil: mount failed - no mountable file systems
tpac

Post by tpac »

I have the same problem - also a Powerbook G4 with 10.3.9. When I try and mount it via Disk Utility, it seems to think the size of the volume should be 148.4 GIGabytes - which is obviously incorrect and would obviously cause problem mounting on my 80 GB drive ;)

I also found this little tidbit from apple: "UDF 2.50 volumes cannot be mounted on computers using Mac OS X v10.3 Panther. A warning appears with “no mountable file systems” as the reason for the mounting failure. UDF 2.50 is compatible with Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger. "

Could the creator of the disk image be using a UDF 2.50 volume that's defaulting to make the image also UDF 2.50? Is that even possible, or do UDIF disk images not function like that?
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

I upgraded my Mac to 10.5 and it appears that the default partition format of disk image creation changed to be not compatible with 10.3.9

I'll do what the message below says and upload a new set of disk images as soon as possible (probably tomorrow)
http://lists.apple.com/archives/darwin- ... 00003.html

Don't worry about the huge disk size displayed, it's usual in most compressed disk image, unassigned parts doesn't take any space :wink:
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Due to my poor Internet connexion, I was only able to upload the 1.2.8 full new package. You can get it there at this address:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 1.2.8d.dmg

Please tell me if you have some change with 10.3.9

Edit: here is a link for a binary of Battle for Wesnoth 1.3.12
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... .3.12d.dmg
tpac

Post by tpac »

lwa, thanks. I've just tried downloading from your links. For me the 1.2.8d image mounted fine, but the 1.3.12d gave the same error ("no mountable file systems").
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

My bad, I forgot to regenerate the 1.3.12 image before uploading it.

Thanks for testing, here is fresher version:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... .3.12e.dmg

Also the lite versions,
for 1.3.12: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... f_lite.dmg

for 1.2.8: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... f_lite.dmg
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Okay, do those dmg files work for all OSX users from 10.3.9 onwards? With other words: can I now change all the links to point to those versions and can you update apple.com/downloads to link the updated version?
tpac

Post by tpac »

Awesome, Wesnoth_MacOSX_1.3.12e.dmg mounts fine, thanks. It's still thinks the image is 148 GB for some reason, but it works fine, so I don't know what the deal is.

The lite ones are stalling out when I try and download them this morning, so I'll try 'em tonight.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

ivanovic wrote:Okay, do those dmg files work for all OSX users from 10.3.9 onwards? With other words: can I now change all the links to point to those versions and can you update apple.com/downloads to link the updated version?
This images are compatible with 10.3.9 and more. They have the same content, just the disk image format is slightly different. I'm on the way to update Apple's site.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Okay, updated the links on the downloads and on the frontpage to point to the version that will work with the older version of OSX, too.