Mac OS 10.4.10- BtfW 1.3.10 runs once, never runs again.

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Parzival

Mac OS 10.4.10- BtfW 1.3.10 runs once, never runs again.

Post by Parzival »

I ran v. 1.3.10 on my iBook G4 and ran the tutorial scenario through the fight on the bridge. Great game, no problems. Two days later, I tried to start the game again. The app icon flashes, but nothing happens.

I tried trashing the "preference" file. No change. I moved the entire "Wesnoth" folder from Preferences. No change. I moved it back. No change, and it never created a new "preference" file.

I don't run Cocoa Gestures, whatever that is.

Any suggestions?

iBook G4 1.33 Ghz PowerPC, 512Mb, OS 10.4.10

Thanks!

--- Parzival
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

weird. Try reinstalling Wesnoth, see if the problem persists, is just about the only advice I can give.

I have the same configuration, except that my processor is a 1.42 Ghz G4 and Tiger is at .11. I never had a similar problem.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Create a new account on your mac and try starting Wesnoth from it.
nlmiller

Same problem here

Post by nlmiller »

I have the same problem with The Battle for Wesnoth 1.3.9a on an Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 1.83 GHz, 512 MB SDRAM, under both Mac OS X 10.4.10 and 10.4.11. I started the tutorial and everything ran fine, but I quit the program before the tutorial was complete. When I returned to it later, neither the primary program nor the editor would open. The application would bounce once in the dock and disappear. I tried running the game by opening with Rosetta, and the icon bounced several times in the dock before it disappeared this time. I tried deleting all of the files in the preferences, but that hasn't helped either.

I even tried downloading the last stable version, 1.2.7, but still just one bounce in the dock and it's gone.

I really would rather not create new users on this computer, or at least not until I upgrade to Leopard. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

The test account is just for testing. Some extensions, like Afloat, may conflict with Battle Wesnoth. Another possibility is to boot your mac with the shift key pressed, which will disable custom login items, but I'm unfamiliar with it.

Whatsoever is the error, please attach the relevant part of Console.app messages (in Utilities).

You can also try the new 1.3.11, freshly released.
nlmiller

Tried version 1.3.11...

Post by nlmiller »

...still no luck. I'm wondering if it's a font problem. I was curious, so I started looking in the 'package', and decided to try installing the fonts into my system to see if that would help. DejaVu Sans installed fine, but sazanami-gothic.ttf had serious problems and couldn't be installed.

Do you think that might be part of the problem? Since all that happens is the icon bounces in the dock, then disappears, there aren't any error messages to report.

Thanks for any help you can give.

By the way, it didn't work any better when I started the computer with all extensions off.