HELP for a poor person

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
floodbud

HELP for a poor person

Post by floodbud »

I don't have the net at home, so I download all factions/eras/units from the web interface of the campaign server at school and bring them home via my flash drive. I am having a TON of trouble getting them to work after bringing them home. Most of the campaign stuff is intuitive, like putting maps in "maps/" and scenarios in "scenarios/", but everything else is very confusing. I got the napolleonic era to work, but need help with extended and imperial eras and a few more. Any suggestions? My wesnoth folder is "C:/Program files/wesnoth/", for your reference.

Also, what is the .mo extension for? Any relevance to my first question?

Thanks!
--floodbud
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Unpack every add-on (campaigns, map packs, everything) into C:/Program Files/Wesnoth/userdata/data/campaigns/. That's where they go when you download them off the add-on server.
floodbud

thx

Post by floodbud »

Okay...
Then how do I access them in-game?
--floodbud
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

They should just show up either in the multiplayer era select menu, the multiplayer map menu, or the Start Campaign menu, depending on what it is you downloaded.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
floodbud

hey

Post by floodbud »

Allright, I've unzipped all to the the userdata/data/campaigns folder and nothing is working--that's right, NOTHING. Extended era, imperial era, windsong era, saboteur and savior, etc.

any ideas?

thanks.
--floodbud
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

You didn't "fiddle" with the names of anything, did you? Maybe accidentally remove the .cfg from the ends of the files? If not, everything should be working. I have no idea why you are having this problem.
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
floodbud

hey

Post by floodbud »

i didn't fiddle with names at all...
anyone else have a try at it?
--floodbud
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

.mo? I have never heard of that extension before. What is it on?
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Clonkinator

Re: hey

Post by Clonkinator »

floodbud wrote:Allright, I've unzipped all to the the userdata/data/campaigns folder and nothing is working--that's right, NOTHING. Extended era, imperial era, windsong era, saboteur and savior, etc.

any ideas?

thanks.
Uhm... In what way they are not working? Do they not show up in the menu? Do you get an error because of them when trying to play them?
If the former is the case, check if there is a folder with the addon's name (containing all the data of the addon itself) in your campaigns directory, as well as a .cfg-file telling the game where to find the addon. If the latter one is missing, you won't get any error messages, but the addon simply won't show up.
floodbud

hey

Post by floodbud »

Alright, maybe someone who is really nice could try downloading campaigns/eras/factions/etc from the web interface and manually getting them to work...or maybe zip your userdata/data/campaigns folder and post it so I can learn from it?

thanks,
--floodbud
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

You need to have userdata/data/campaigns/add-on.cfg and a userdata/data/campaigns/add-on folder. If you have that it should actually work..
floodbud

h

Post by floodbud »

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:41 pm Post subject:
You need to have userdata/data/campaigns/add-on.cfg and a userdata/data/campaigns/add-on folder. If you have that it should actually work..
Uh, nope. Not a sign of either. Looks like everyone knows more than I do...want to explain in depth what is in the add-on folder, and maybe give me add-on.cfg?

Thanks, you're a pal.
--floodbud
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Floodbud:

* .mo files are for translations from English to foreign languages. Don't worry about them.
* I once had your same problems, no Internet at home, etc., so you are speaking with a veteran.
* If you are using Windows, I recommend you to use 7-Zip (Google it, download it and install it) to uncompress the *.tgz files the campaigns and other stuff are contained in. You must make sure it keeps the directory structure when uncompressing; you should refer to 7-Zip's documentation for that matter; make sure a UserMadeContentNameGoesHere folder and *.cfg file are created in WesnothInstallDirectory/userdata/data/campaigns. Also, make sure the .tgz file you downloaded from the web interface contains content designed for the Wesnoth version you are running. The web interface currently provides up-to-date content for the 1.2.x BfW and 1.3.x classified in the first columm.
* You should not have any issues if you follow these instructions.
* This is my userdata/data/campaigns directory structure in Linux, but it is exactly the same if I was using Windows:

Code: Select all

AgeOfLegends_Era        Hall_of_Lame.cfg               Saving_Elensefar.cfg
AgeOfLegends_Era.cfg    Imperial_Era                   Temples_Of_The_Nagas
DotG                    Imperial_Era.cfg               Temples_Of_The_Nagas.cfg
DotG.cfg                Invasion_from_the_Unknown      The_Fall_of_Wesnoth
Eliador                 Invasion_from_the_Unknown.cfg  The_Fall_of_Wesnoth.cfg
Eliador.cfg             Invasion_from_the_Unknown.pbl  The_Heist
Extended_Era            Ooze_Mini_Campaign             The_Heist.cfg
Extended_Era.cfg        Ooze_Mini_Campaign.cfg         Wesvoid
Flight_Freedom_1_3      Raajal                         Wesvoid.cfg
Flight_Freedom_1_3.cfg  Raajal.cfg
Hall_of_Lame            Saving_Elensefar
The .cfg are files, and the others are just folders.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
floodbud

floodbud

Post by floodbud »

Thank you so very much, Shadow Master. In fact, when I unzipped the .tgz files, they did not keep directory structure, I just got a bunch of files. Very frustrating. I will look into the 7-zip documentation to see how to keep that. It should help.

That should take care of everything, thanks everybody. Maybe there should be a sticky with info like this on it, so other people in my position don't have to start a new thread every time.
--floodbud
floodbud

h

Post by floodbud »

um...where is that documentation? can't find it anywhere. I will play with 7-zip though and see if I can figure it out.
--floodbud