after installation of 1.2.1: only a grey screen and not more

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Lunar

after installation of 1.2.1: only a grey screen and not more

Post by Lunar »

Hey folks!

I am new here. At first I was very keen on playing BFW, but now I am a little frustrated.

I have downloaded both versions for windows (1.2. and 1.2.1. also) several times, but none of them works on my PC (P III, 733 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 128 MB Graphics).

After the download, several parts of the data do not clearly show the type of document (for example the "readme" is not in txt-format, the manuals neither etc.). Also the wesnoth.exe has no own symbol, instead it has a small dos-sign.

When I try installing the game, everything seems to run without problems. After having completed the installation I try to start the game, but nothing happens besides the fact that the sreen seems to switch to a dos-mode and after a while, I can hear (very promising!) music... but thats it. No game, no fun, no no nothing...

What is wrong with my installation? Can anybody help? Thanks a lot in advance from Germany,

Lunar
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Re: after installation of 1.2.1: only a grey screen and not

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Lunar wrote:Hey folks!

I am new here. At first I was very keen on playing BFW, but now I am a little frustrated.

I have downloaded both versions for windows (1.2. and 1.2.1. also) several times, but none of them works on my PC (P III, 733 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 128 MB Graphics).

After the download, several parts of the data do not clearly show the type of document (for example the "readme" is not in txt-format, the manuals neither etc.). Also the wesnoth.exe has no own symbol, instead it has a small dos-sign.
readme should be in text only with unix line-edings which might look bad on Windows, and the icon IIRC is a small error with the packaging and only in 1.2.1.
Lunar wrote:When I try installing the game, everything seems to run without problems. After having completed the installation I try to start the game, but nothing happens besides the fact that the sreen seems to switch to a dos-mode and after a while, I can hear (very promising!) music... but thats it. No game, no fun, no no nothing...

What is wrong with my installation? Can anybody help? Thanks a lot in advance from Germany,

Lunar
Did you install Wesnoth 1.2 over an older version, if so please uninstall wesnoth and reinstall. The installation over an older version gives problems.
If the problem persists (or you didn't install over and older version) could you post stderr.txt. I think it's in the same directory as wesnoth.exe (not sure no Windows here)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

...the same download, that does not run on my desktop PC runs perfect on my laptop!? I cant explain why, but its working properly!

No, I didn't install the game over an older version. I installed both mentioned versions several times, but before, I uninstalled the formerly installed one.

Now as I have seen the game running on my laptop, I can say that when the map appears (if the game runs properly), the screen of my desktop pc turns grey with several small darkgrey lines across and thats it... the sound runs perfect, but I cant see any picture, menue or something.

But I am happy having it running properly on the laptop. Guess I will bother you with tactical questions very soon ;-)

Best regards from Germany

Lunar

PS
Anybody else here with the age of 41?
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Lunar wrote:...the same download, that does not run on my desktop PC runs perfect on my laptop!? I cant explain why, but its working properly!

No, I didn't install the game over an older version. I installed both mentioned versions several times, but before, I uninstalled the formerly installed one.
Oke.
Lunar wrote:Now as I have seen the game running on my laptop, I can say that when the map appears (if the game runs properly), the screen of my desktop pc turns grey with several small darkgrey lines across and thats it... the sound runs perfect, but I cant see any picture, menue or something.

But I am happy having it running properly on the laptop. Guess I will bother you with tactical questions very soon ;-)

Best regards from Germany

Lunar

PS
Anybody else here with the age of 41?
Could you post the stderr.txt from the machine where it fails? It might contain some hints what's going on.
Lunar

yes, here it is

Post by Lunar »

here we go:

Battle for Wesnoth v1.2.1
Started on Thu Jan 25 14:59:44 2007

started game: 0
Checking video mode: 1024x768x16...
setting mode to 1024x768x16
locale could not be determined; defaulting to system locale
WARNING: setlocale() failed for .
found valid cache at 'G:/Spiele/Wesnoth/Wesnoth/userdata/cache/game.cfg-cache-v1.2.1-MEDIUM-NORMAL' using it
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 101
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 11759
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 221
loadscreen: parser counter = 215
started music
showing title screen...
Loading tips of day
title screen returned result
quitting game...
exiting with code 0

Any idea?

Best regards

Lunar
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

This sounds like it could be a problem with SDL not supporting your video card. Could you post further details of the hardware? You could also try running another game that uses SDL and let us know if that was successful.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

...what is SDL???

Lunar
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) is a graphics and such programming library that Wesnoth uses for graphics, sound and etc.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Lunar

detalis of the graphics

Post by Lunar »

you asked for more details on the hardware. For the graphics I use a "NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 (64 PRO)"-device. Last time, I said, it was a 128 MB unit, but it only has 64 MB.

Bit izt a is a aboslutely common device and other games or programms cause no troubles!? But of course I don't know, wheter they use SDL or not.

Do you know another game that uses SDL? So I maybe could try if that one runes smooth.

Best regards,

Lunar
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

I already wanted to post a link yesterday but their site was down :(
The main site is http://http://libsdl.org/

and for various games/applications
http://libsdl.org/games.php
http://libsdl.org/demos.php
http://libsdl.org/applications.php
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

[censored]!

I have just downloaded Advanced Strategic Command from the mentioned website. It's first screen starts, but then the game collapses and the task manager tells me, that it does not respond...

What is going on on my PC? What can I do to fix the problem? Any idea?

Best regards,

Martin