Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

blackjack

Post by blackjack »

In 0.8.1, Weldyn Attack is extremely slow. For some reason, each move takes about 5 minutes. Might be an AI issue in that pathfinding is extremely difficult. I don't know what the reasons are...

I don't find it that difficult, all you have to do is to "choke" the main gates for as long as you can. However, the AI doesn't seem to be very good at it.

In 0.8.1, the scenario where you go to Weldyn is strange. To complete the level, you have to go to 2 specific villages. I think it's a WML bug, in that any castle hex should complete the level. Didn't find it all that challenging... Gweddry virtually walked back untouched. Fights only occurred because I attacked others.

Another point: in the intro, isn't Sudoc supposed to be the cavalry commander in the South? Why does he become a fencer in Peasant Revolt?

(Apologise if these have been fixed in 0.8.2 or CVS. Haven't played for a few days)
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Ewan

the duel

Post by Ewan »

OK - so being cave-wall-enclosed actually makes the duel trivial: recruit the wall guards, who are impervious and have ranged fire, and pick off the lich. But that's all kinda silly.

Plus: (i) some of the undead units actually managed to escape the walls on two of the turns (for no apparent reason); (ii) the keep stops being a keep after the first turn (possibly intentional, but apparently not true for the undead).

All very buggy still.
Ewan

victory?

Post by Ewan »

Double-posting; sorry!

At the end of the duel, the intended scenario 'victory' is not present; I thought this campaign was now complete?

I've been trying to think of a motivation for Gweddry agreeing to the duel, given that he knows how easy it has been to resist the hordes thus far :). Still, not a bad plot line if the dialogue (see previous post) can be cleaned up.

The more I think about it, the more 'attack on weldryn' is too easy on easy mode. Basically, the wall guards alone can hold the city, pretty much. I ended up going out and killing all the liches after their troops died at the wall. The son who is going to rebel might well be allowed to get more forces in place, too - that could get nasty (i.e. more fun).
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

sorry about this, but

Code: Select all

[kill]
							{NORTH_OF_BRIDGE}
							animate=yes
							[/kill]
should be

Code: Select all

[kill]
							x=1-31,1-20
							y=21-24,18-20
							animate=yes
							[/kill]
I didn't realize that {NORTH_OF_BRIDGE} had [not] tags, and the code there now will kill every unit that is not north of the bridge!
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Forget what I just said. I was right the first time.

Sorry.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

blackjack wrote:In 0.8.1, Weldyn Attack is extremely slow. For some reason, each move takes about 5 minutes. Might be an AI issue in that pathfinding is extremely difficult. I don't know what the reasons are...

I don't find it that difficult, all you have to do is to "choke" the main gates for as long as you can. However, the AI doesn't seem to be very good at it.
I'm still working on this scenario. :)
Actually, FYI, you should consider all scenarios after Evacuation incomplete and probably unbalanced. I'm going to fix them ASAP.
blackjack wrote:In 0.8.1, the scenario where you go to Weldyn is strange. To complete the level, you have to go to 2 specific villages. I think it's a WML bug, in that any castle hex should complete the level. Didn't find it all that challenging... Gweddry virtually walked back untouched. Fights only occurred because I attacked others.
That is a bug,.. i'll try to fix it.

Again, they are unbalanced. :)
blackjack wrote: Another point: in the intro, isn't Sudoc supposed to be the cavalry commander in the South? Why does he become a fencer in Peasant Revolt?

(Apologise if these have been fixed in 0.8.2 or CVS. Haven't played for a few days)
His horse gets taken away. ;)
Yes, something else would make more sense probably. Actually, i might want to just delete Peasant Revolt and let you recruit fencers from the beginning, or starting in a different scenario. And not every introduce Sudoc.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

I have a problem with this campaign. I played until Evasion (0.8.3 CVS) and on finishing it, it tried to take me to Peasants Revolt, but gave an error. Now (0.8.4 CVS) I saw next scenario has changed, so I hacked my savefile in Evasion to go to Drowned Plains, but I get 'The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: No starting position for side 1', and it breaks.

I have looked at the map file, and there are a pair of keeps, but not numbered. I didn't look much inside the .cfg file, but since some people are talking about latter scenarios, I guess it should work. Any clues on what to do?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

cobretti wrote:Any clues on what to do?
Um, yeah... get CVS to get version with normal keeps. :oops:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

turin wrote:
cobretti wrote:Any clues on what to do?
Um, yeah... get CVS to get version with normal keeps. :oops:
Done, thanks :)

Yet another one: In 'The Council', I get the whole conversation ok (btw, it went from Drowned Lands to Approaching Weldyn without any level between them, so now Sudoc doesn't appear at all), but then the game says 'Illegal character' and quits the campaign.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

cobretti wrote:
turin wrote: Um, yeah... get CVS to get version with normal keeps. :oops:
Done, thanks :)

Yet another one: In 'The Council', I get the whole conversation ok (btw, it went from Drowned Lands to Approaching Weldyn without any level between them, so now Sudoc doesn't appear at all), but then the game says 'Illegal character' and quits the campaign.
does it say it when trying to load Weldyn Under Attack? If so, i think i know what the problem is... i'll try to fix it soon.
The World of Orbivm
lilepo2023

Post by lilepo2023 »

try the first levels of this campaign on easy an tell me if u think its a lil... different...
im sinning but im winning at the same time/took a couple shots from a coward tryin ta take mine/back in the hood wit a chopper an a tech nine... im doin 100 on the hi way/u doin the speed limit then get the f*ck outta my way...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

lilepo2023 wrote:try the first levels of this campaign on easy an tell me if u think its a lil... different...
I changed the dialogue a lot, if thats what you mean...
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

@túrin: Captured is really unbalanced. In my last (and only) time I've reached captured, I was in Easy mode. It was pretty difficult.

1) I was playing in the version with the bugs, but it made no difference. I had spent the entire campaign levelling up horsemen, so I had no units that would have been recalled.
2) The Troll Warrior... has it been changed on Easy? When I fought it, I had all three of my heroes end up at very low HP. And that was the second try. Not very easy. Make it a Troll on Easy.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:@túrin: Captured is really unbalanced. In my last (and only) time I've reached captured, I was in Easy mode. It was pretty difficult.

1) I was playing in the version with the bugs, but it made no difference. I had spent the entire campaign levelling up horsemen, so I had no units that would have been recalled.
2) The Troll Warrior... has it been changed on Easy? When I fought it, I had all three of my heroes end up at very low HP. And that was the second try. Not very easy. Make it a Troll on Easy.
1) if you want to only level up one unit, be prepared for there to be consequences. If you only leveled up horsemen in HttT, i think you'd find The Lost General kind of hard. ;)

2) Good idea (but ONLY on easy.)
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:1) if you want to only level up one unit, be prepared for there to be consequences.
Another consequence is that I completely SLAUGHTERED those enemies in Evactuation. Grand Knights and Lancers are great for taking down Orcish Warlords in one round, and my castles full of horsemen were effective too.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.