[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gdou

Post by gdou »

Hello Taurus.

You're welcome.

The pleasure has been upraised by the ESR's touch ;-).

And you should not only thank me but the whole french translation team, who does a marvelous job as a whole.

Do you plan more "undead" scenarios in the future ?

Kind regards,

Gdou.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hey Gdou,

Yeah, ESR really did a good job on the english.

Please convay my thanks to the french translation team. Do you think you can send me their names or nicknames so I can add them to the credits?

There are more undead scenarios in the making. The next scenario - Ray of Hope is like the undead paralell to The Persuit - very long and lots of WML work on my part - that's why it's taking a while, but it will get done :-)
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Version 1.18.3 is out on the 1.3 server. Nothing much different on this one except for the fact that it has been modified to suit the changed terrain engine.

Have fun :-)

SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Nice to see a 1.3 compatible version :)
That means I'm going to play it again soon, I really look forward to play the undead branch.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Just an idea: if the first scenario is deemed too boring since you only have peasants, you could allow the player to recruit a few spearmen, bowmen or similar. Just have someone say that a few of the freed slaves were former soldiers, and now that they've managed to steal a few weapons they can kit up and fight using them, and limit the number of those the player can recruit.

For an easy way of implementing the limits, check the macros LIMIT_CONTEMPORANEOUS_RECRUITS and LIMIT_RECRUITS at the end of 1.2.x utils.cfg (those macro additions were never merged to 1.3 it seems, I can fix that).
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Don't think it's boring because of recruitment options, swarming bands of peasants is fun especialy if you see the effects (multiplayer rules apply- use the correct daytime, protect more experienced units). Only thing that actualy hurts that scenario is the size of the map, there is a point in game at which you start to dominate, but mopping up simply takes a bit to long.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Actually, an even better idea: have lvl 0 versions of spearmen, bowmen and others (?) as recruitable units in the first (and second?) scenario. Not as boring as peasants, while being pretty similar in power (probably a little bit stronger, though). Of course you could still have peasants, too, if you want to. Maybe have a generic lvl 0 outlaw, which could then advance to poachers and thugs and whatnot.

The art probably won't be a huge problem; not many frames needed for animations, and I'd imagine you'd get adequate images pretty fast by asking for them in the art workshop.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thanks for the suggestions Zookeper. I actually like the idea of being able to recruit a limited number of spearmen/archers rather then making custom units. Custom units imho are a bit of a headache both to create and maitain. Since there are so many great units already in the game - I would rather just use them :-)

But for now, I think I'll leave it the way it is. I am trying to stick to the idea of a last minuite - rushed - do or die type of of mood. Having spearmen around would change the whole tactical situation as well as the atmosphere. However, I am not compleatley concreate on this, and if enough people want it this way I'll change it.

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Taurus wrote:Thanks for the suggestions Zookeper. I actually like the idea of being able to recruit a limited number of spearmen/archers rather then making custom units. Custom units imho are a bit of a headache both to create and maitain.
Well, I can offer to do the .cfg's for the custom units, and I actually just frankensteined some decent sprites for them, too, just in case (it's your choice, after all) you want to go this way in the future (even if not right away). The spearman and bowman are animated, the outlaw isn't.
Attachments
armed_peasants.png
armed_peasants.png (78.95 KiB) Viewed 8116 times
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

zookeeper wrote:
Taurus wrote:Thanks for the suggestions Zookeper. I actually like the idea of being able to recruit a limited number of spearmen/archers rather then making custom units. Custom units imho are a bit of a headache both to create and maitain.
Well, I can offer to do the .cfg's for the custom units, and I actually just frankensteined some decent sprites for them, too, just in case (it's your choice, after all) you want to go this way in the future (even if not right away). The spearman and bowman are animated, the outlaw isn't.
Good idea, Good work.
If Jetryl concurs, these should be added to mainline when they have the minimum # of frames. Several campaigns have used peasant-variations, so i think it's worthwhile to provide some standard graphics. Personally i think the peasant-spearman looks too well armored, i'd remove the breast-plate or shield.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

zookeeper wrote: Well, I can offer to do the .cfg's for the custom units, and I actually just frankensteined some decent sprites for them, too, just in case (it's your choice, after all) you want to go this way in the future (even if not right away). The spearman and bowman are animated, the outlaw isn't.
Well, I think you might just have something here. If as Eleazar said, they are going to be included in the mainline - I just might use them. However, I think that perhaps just a peasant archer would sufice - as the simple peasant already is like a spearman.

Anyhow, I'll let you know in a day or two which way this campaign is going to go...

esr
Retired Developer

Making civilians more interesting

Post by esr »

I have a different proposal at https://mail.gna.org/public/wesnoth-dev ... 00055.html .
The intention is to be less of an NR-specific hack and more a way of
making level 0 an interesting resource for all campaigns.

edit to fix hyperlink
Last edited by esr on April 11th, 2007, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:If Jetryl concurs, these should be added to mainline when they have the minimum # of frames. Several campaigns have used peasant-variations, so i think it's worthwhile to provide some standard graphics. Personally i think the peasant-spearman looks too well armored, i'd remove the breast-plate or shield.
I concur. :)
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

In preperation for going mainline, version 1.18.5 is out. A lot of changes - both major and minor in this release mostly based on advice from the following thread check there for further details:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=1

In summery: The maps have been updated, the storyline changed, new music, an updated (although not permanant) Tallin portrait, and many other minor issues too numerous to list.

Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Attention all, the latest relase of campaign is broken at the moment and won't allow any recruitment in the first scenario. Taurus forgot to include one new unit .cfg and until he does it there are two options :
1) Wait for patched relase
2) Edit 'Breaking the chains' scenario and in side 1 declaration substitute line

Code: Select all

recruit=Peasant, Woodsman
with

Code: Select all

recruit=Peasant
EDIT : People using SVN builds that have woodsman.cfg somewhere won't be affacted by this problem.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.