The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nuorc
Forum Regular

Dragon: no heroes

Post by nuorc »

I'm playing BfW 1.8.4 on WinXP.

I just tried to play the Dragon scenario (medium difficulty), but there are no heroes!

The only starting character is Dulalsil (edit: with no recall list available); nothing happens when he reaches the end of the tunnel, so I guess I need Rugnur, Krawg and Thursagen...

Any suggestions?

Thx
Attachments
DZdF-Der_Drache.gz
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 789 times
I have a cunning plan.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Campaign: the Sceptre of Fire

Post by zookeeper »

There's no trace of any other unit(s) other than Alanin in your savefile, which is very odd. Did you use the debug mode or do anything else out of the ordinary?
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

zookeeper wrote:There's no trace of any other unit(s) other than Alanin in your savefile, which is very odd. Did you use the debug mode or do anything else out of the ordinary?
Hi, nope, nothing.

I finished scenario 6, outrode the outriders and started the Dragon, I believe without even closing the game in between or anything.

Should I upload scenario 6 & 7 save or replay files?
I have a cunning plan.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

nuorc wrote:Hi, nope, nothing.
Strange. :hmm:
nuorc wrote:I finished scenario 6, outrode the outriders and started the Dragon, I believe without even closing the game in between or anything.

Should I upload scenario 6 & 7 save or replay files?
Yes, that'd help, but if you could also include the beginning-of-scenario saves for all three scenarios (6, 7 and 8) then that'd be even better.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

zookeeper wrote:Yes, that'd help, but if you could also include the beginning-of-scenario saves for all three scenarios (6, 7 and 8) then that'd be even better.
OK, I hope I got you right...
Attachments
DZdF-Der_Drache_Runde_1a.gz
SoF8, first manual save (Already uploaded automatic save at start.)
(20.78 KiB) Downloaded 872 times
DZdF-Flucht_vor_den_Elfen.gz
SoF7, automatic save at start
(9.68 KiB) Downloaded 851 times
DZdF-Flucht_vor_den_Elfen_Runde_1a.gz
SoF7, first manual save
(25.72 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
DZdF-Flucht_vor_den_Elfen_Runde_11a.gz
SoF7, last manual save
(30.49 KiB) Downloaded 793 times
DZdF-Flucht_vor_den_Elfen_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
SoF7, replay
(17.7 KiB) Downloaded 879 times
I have a cunning plan.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

...and here come the To the Caves files.

If I would know something about these files, I guess I could copy the units from an old file into a new file, correct?

Yes, I'm rubbish, I save & reload and I might have more quick and healthy units than you'd expect by statistics...
Attachments
DZdF-Auf_in_die_Höhlen.gz
SoF6, automatic save at start
(9.67 KiB) Downloaded 795 times
DZdF-Auf_in_die_Höhlen_Runde_1a.gz
SoF6, first manual save
(29.14 KiB) Downloaded 852 times
DZdF-Auf_in_die_Höhlen_Runde_12c.gz
SoF6, last manual save
(53.75 KiB) Downloaded 903 times
DZdF-Auf_in_die_Höhlen_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
SoF6, replay
(40.37 KiB) Downloaded 891 times
I have a cunning plan.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Did you end 6_Towards_the_Caves.cfg by defeating all enemies ? (In that case the variable dwarves isn't filled, and also, the variable stored_Rugnur_side is completely useless although not harmful.)

EDIT
Yes you did (due to you apparently cheating you could unusually win here :P.)
So your recall list isn't stored and in the next scenario it is [kill]ed.
Last edited by Anonymissimus on December 1st, 2010, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Oh, I see, you won "Towards the Caves" by killing all enemy leaders, that must be the cause. I had added a simple fallback event there which triggers victory when the enemy leaders are defeated, but it seems I wasn't careful with how the recall list and leader swapping for the next scenario works in that case.

So, the simplest solution would be to just win the scenario by moving Rugnur to the cave. If you don't want to replay the whole scenario then you can simply use the debug mode (type :debug and then :unit moves=99 while Rugnur is selected) to do it.

Looks like Anonymissimus beat me to it.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Thanky you, Anonymissimus & zookeeper!

I have no idea what you meant with that variables stuff or cheating :whistle:, but since I have the last manual save, I can simply move Rugnur to the cave.
I have a cunning plan.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

just played the campaign (second time), and it was surprisingly nice.
it was especially refreshing that the characters didn't feel like they are just some dummies saying something ultra egoistic or something that the players might hopefully consider impressive.
the characters felt quite alive and the story was fittingly dramatic.

if some idealist is still working on improving the campaign, i got some comments.

in the first scenario, when elves attack side 1 for the first time, there is the dialog.
if they first attack alanin they say he is a dwarf.
if they first attack a caravan, the caravan answers 'kiss my axe', while they don't seem to have too many axes or any means of fighting at all.
all it would take is
[filter_second]
race=dwarf
[/filter_second]
if it was intended as humor, i think all the other humor in the campaign was much better.

also, why do you give 5 caravans in hard difficulty?
the more the merrier imho, because 1 of 5 caravans is harder to kill than 1 of 4, and caravans have nice zoc that can keep elves from reaching haldric ii, and you have the option of completely blocking haldric's recruiting for a few turns with 6 units.
and there are those mountains in the east that allow dwarfish scouts to kill elfish leader reliably at turn 7 or 8, maybe you might want to add some more snow there?

the hammer in thursagan's portrait looked like an anvil, thursagan being crazy i found that especially fitting.
but, according to the impression i got, thursagan should have the hammer of thursagan with him in the northlands, shouldn't he?
now that would be nice if the hammer of thursagan was actually an anvil, because thursagan, being crazy, used it as a hammer head...
...but, how would the dwarfs allow their most important relic to be taken to some unsupervised hut in wilderness by some lunatic dwarf?
or rather maybe the hammer of thursagan was in knalga while thursagan was in northlands with the anvil.
and the dialog change might not be extremely unfitting to the context and would add some immaturity and sarcasm imho:
thursagan: i'd like to take a look at the ruby and get my hammer.
durnstorn: why see the ruby? and don't you have a hammer already? (sarcasm, trying to make a mess of the issue)
thursagan: do you think i am a fool who cannot tell a hammer from an anvil? (i understand that you are trying to insult me but i pretend i don't get it and i make you look immature for saying so)

for all those who have problems with outriders, maybe try not to capture all villages, but only those that are exactly at alanin's move limit.

the dragon scenario objectives say that you have to reach the end of tunnel, and for the sake of stupidity i did just that (avoided the altar), as much as reaching the 2 hex at the end of tunnel is possible with 3 heroes, and nothing interesting happened (where did i go wrong? lack of curiosity about strange altars is a sin, or what?).

the volcano scenario might be considerably smoother if there was some limit to how many troll warriors there can be at the same time, because after i had stepped on the glyph, every time i ended turn i felt like i could go and make some coffee or read a book while the trolls moved.

why does alanin lie to the king in the epilogue?
as far as i could recall, the dwarfs sent the message that if haldric ii wanted the sceptre he should come and rescue the dwarfs from cave, not that the sceptre was completed.

actually the gryphon could have delivered the sceptre to haldric ii maybe, but that would again have broken the story.
and why do they say that the location of the sceptre was unknown, did the volcano become lost?
unreachable, maybe?

i hope i will find some runesmith discussion somewhere, because somehow everything i had was either scouts or runesmiths whenever possible (= i feel they are usually overpowered).
even the main character could be a runesmith ; )
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
dark_Crag

Re: The Sceptre of Fire

Post by dark_Crag »

I found some bugs:

BfW version/Language:
1.11.0/GB

1) Campaign finishes too early - blocking for continuing in campaign
Description:
Campaign ends after finishing "Gathering Materials" scenario

Reproduction scenario: (reproduced)
Move the last "Dwarvish miner" into the castle

Attachment
SoF-Gathering_Materials-Auto-Save36.gz

2) warnings in stderr.txt
Description:
This error message appeared (eight times) in stderr.txt during playing "Gathering Materials" scenario
warning ai/general: At difficulty level NORMAL, trying to recruit a:mixed fighter but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team '' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...

Reproduction scenario: (reproduced)
I think that this error appears when enemy leader(s) wants to recruit new unit.

Attachment
n/a - I lost savefiles because my operating system failed
Currently playing: Legend of the Invincibles
Already finished on BfW 1.11.X: Heir to the Throne, A Tale of Two Brothers, Rebellion in the North
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

dark_Crag wrote:I found some bugs:

1) Campaign finishes too early - blocking for continuing in campaign
Description:
Campaign ends after finishing "Gathering Materials" scenario
Fixed in trunk (will be in 1.11.2).
dark_Crag wrote: 2) warnings in stderr.txt
Description:
This error message appeared (eight times) in stderr.txt during playing "Gathering Materials" scenario
warning ai/general: At difficulty level NORMAL, trying to recruit a:mixed fighter but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team '' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
Side 2 may only have 1 troll rocklobber at a time. It's the only mixed fighter, so you see those errors whenever it reaches "mixed fighter" in the recruit pattern and the rocklobber is still alive.
dark_Crag

Post by dark_Crag »

Alarantalara wrote: Side 2 may only have 1 troll rocklobber at a time. It's the only mixed fighter, so you see those errors whenever it reaches "mixed fighter" in the recruit pattern and the rocklobber is still alive.
So there is no reason to mention/report this type of warning(s) again?
Currently playing: Legend of the Invincibles
Already finished on BfW 1.11.X: Heir to the Throne, A Tale of Two Brothers, Rebellion in the North
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Just dropping by to report the SoF ending after gathering materials, but I see you have it in hand.
Weird problem ,I look forward to seeing the solution.
I had a number of suggestions for improving this campaign, but I know that there is a significant rewrite that was happening over in the Writer's forum, is it better to lay off the suggestions until that is updated? And if so, any idea when it might be?
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

UnwiseOwl wrote:I had a number of suggestions for improving this campaign, but I know that there is a significant rewrite that was happening over in the Writer's forum, is it better to lay off the suggestions until that is updated? And if so, any idea when it might be?
As per my post in that thread, the rewrites were simply forgotten about for way too long. :whistle:

If you already have a list of suggestions then feel free to post them (I guess here or in a new thread would be better, since the other thread is for Pewskeepski's stuff), but naturally they might not make the cut if they conflict with the aforementioned rewrite. No harm in having more suggestions laid out.