The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

saskganesh

Post by saskganesh »

Balgur can be lost, but you can still win. its not clear, but it s'alright.
saskganesh

Post by saskganesh »

on the rider scenario. i have a level two rider and he's dead meat. would having a level three rider make the dif here?

or maybe (as per the undo cheat) let him spawn ... just a few more spearmen. he's slower and badly outnumbered. i'm playing on easy.

really great campaign. a bit talky in places.
saskganesh

Post by saskganesh »

or perhaps just reduce the number of elven outriders from 5 to 4. this level has the potential to be a real nailbiter, as it should be.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I also had a level 2 rider when I was playtesting, and it was possible for me. ;)

BTW, Baglur is not a berserker, Kuhnar is. Yes, you can lose Kuhnar, because he doesn't have the shield, but I might make that more clear.

Other than that... I'll try to fix the Outriders bug soon (no clue how that one happened)... any other bugs?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
js138

Post by js138 »

yep - I lost the horseman (alawhatsit) before the end of the scenario, but still won when Rugnar got into the cave.

I also lost another unit with a shield and the scenario didn't end.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

You didn't win because I forgot to add in the {SOF_DEATHS} to the scenario. Next release, it will be there.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
js138

Outrider kebab

Post by js138 »

Ok. I have a L2 Alanin and I'm getting kebabbed easily on medium diff. I think I made it to turn 5 once...

Alanin is hard to level in the caves - being L3 shouldn't be a requirement to have a chance - not that I think I would even if he was.

[cheats].

Ok - I could finish it, just about, if I tweaked his XP so he leveled after a few attacks and if I created an extra spearman by the undo bug.

I think part of the problem is that 5 outriders can mow down spearmen even in good terrain a little too quickly.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, the hard part of the level is supposed to be 1, distracting the enemy with the spearmen, and 2, having them block the ouriders. I might have made it too hard, but with 4, it is too easy, or at least it was when I tested it.

I'll see if maybe making an outrider and 4 riders helps.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, well, first off, I'll say that for me at least its not that hard to win Outriding the Outriders with Alanin level 2, as long as you place your spearmen correctly.

So, I haven't touched that level. But I did mess around a lot with Towards the Caves, and there are some new graphics for the runemaster tree, so I figure there's enough for a new release: 0.5 is out!
The World of Orbivm
claus

Post by claus »

turin wrote:OK, well, first off, I'll say that for me at least its not that hard to win Outriding the Outriders with Alanin level 2, as long as you place your spearmen correctly.
Playing on easy difficulty (campaign version 0.4, the scenario had no difference between difficulties) i had no real problem too (Alanin was level 2). I even managed to kill all outriders.
I tried to make a replay, but it is corrupted. Watching it several times, the corrupted moves are different (i think it is a problem with the random traits generated for the Spearmans).
Some examples for corruptions:
a Outrider kills a Spearman (replay), but the Spearman returns to be killed by a second Outrider (seems like the real Spearman had more hitpoints than the replay Spearman and survived the first Outrider (gives no corrupted message))
a Outrider survived in the replay but died in the real game (the replay Spearman got the Xp for the kill, i think the real spearman was strong) (causes corruption because of ZoC later)
a replay Spearman has more hitpoints and does not die (I had a Outrider doing only one shot with its ranged (in the real game it was a kill, in the replay the Spearman survived because he had more hitpoints which caused a corruption (again ZoC))

By the way, if not done yet you should replace TRAIT_DEXTEROUS (Outriders) with TRAIT_DEXTROUS.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I don't know what's up with the corrupted replays. I guess it is, as you say, the random traits. If so, I think a bug report should be filed.
The World of Orbivm
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

We've been trying to isolate replay OOS errors for many moons. The last serious attempt fixed several causes to do with AI gold and with a bug in the pathfinder, but there remained suspicion of random traits causing problems. However, we didn't have a good savegame to work from.

If you have a reproducible OOS that shows traits being different on different loads of the replay, please open a bug report at Savannah and post the replay and precise steps to reproduce this behaviour.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
js138

Post by js138 »

So where do you place them then? I've been placing them in good terrain in a desparate attempt to keep them alive long enough to allow Alanin to get enough space to get to the next village.

I'm sure it's much simpler on easy, but if this is how hard it is on medium, I hate to think what hard would be like.

[experiments]

Ok - I survived once. A little lateral thinking at the start got me going, but you still need reasonable luck.

The first few turns seem to be the cusp - once you survive the turn you can't get a village in one, it's straightforward enough.
claus

Post by claus »

js138 wrote:I'm sure it's much simpler on easy, but if this is how hard it is on medium, I hate to think what hard would be like.
Looking at the scenario code (version 0.4, can not download 0.5 because of internet connection) i think this scenario has no difference between difficulties.
saskganesh

Post by saskganesh »

turin wrote:I also had a level 2 rider when I was playtesting, and it was possible for me. ;)
the designer has an advantage here i would think. :P