Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

quartex wrote:
Dave wrote: So now that I have people's attention here's a wishlist of art I'd love to see:

-My rubble terrain image. This was original copied from Christophe33's old rubble image, but I'd love something that looked better. I'm using the hex for destroyed buildings and castles, so when I say rubble I mean lots of fallen stones and debris scattered across the sands. (not just a few rocks like we have in other rubble images)
well, my revisiting of my old castle ruin graphics is under-way. They should look quite spiffy, when done, with no two ruins looking quite the same (or at least, very few...)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks Darth Fool! I was referring more to rubble strewn across the ground, as opposed to a ruined building/castle. But I have at least one ancient castle in my campaign, so the new artwork will be much appreciated.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

quartex wrote:
Glowing Fish wrote:I liked this scenario so far...it seems to have a lot of RPG elements, which I like.I want to keep playing it, to find out what exactly is going on.

When I was playing it, there seemed to be some graphical bugs. The desert hunters didn't have graphics, and some terrain graphics were just blank. However, that was last night, so maybe I need to download a new version.
Glowing Fish, help me out here. Are you using Linux? And you can't see either the desert rubble nor the Desert Hunters. Just for the record, you are able to see custom graphics on other campaigns, like "The South Guard"?

In general, can anyone besides me see the custom graphics I've added? I'm trying to see if this is only happening on some systems. I must be doing something different than other people, I'm just not quite sure what this is. I definitely want to fix this becuase not being able to use Desert Hunters or see other custom graphics is very bad.
I am indeed running Linux, and the only time I've noticed a missing image is in the missing Zolpha in the gryphon campaign.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

quartex wrote:
Glowing Fish wrote:I liked this scenario so far...it seems to have a lot of RPG elements, which I like.I want to keep playing it, to find out what exactly is going on.

When I was playing it, there seemed to be some graphical bugs. The desert hunters didn't have graphics, and some terrain graphics were just blank. However, that was last night, so maybe I need to download a new version.
Looking in my .cfg file, I see the path to units and images would seem to point to /usr/share/games/wesnoth
Since this is a user campaign, downloading it from the campaign server would put it in my ~/.wesnoth directory.
All of which may be a moot point, since right now I am going to download the newest version of the campaign.
pravin

Post by pravin »

quartex wrote:I just uploaded version 0.1.3 to the campaign server. This version has the added line of code to the campaign.cfg file:
{@campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/images}

I'm not sure if it will solve the custom images problem, but I encourage anyone who is having problems seeing the custom images to download it from the campaign server.
I downloaded the latest version. I cant see the Desert Hunter images. I'm running linux.
A warrior may die a thousand deaths,
An empire dies but one.
pravin

Post by pravin »

I exited wesnoth and restarted it. Now I can see all the images :D
A warrior may die a thousand deaths,
An empire dies but one.
bobis2high

Holy Water

Post by bobis2high »

Hey... dont know if anyone has posted this problem but at the eng of scenario 2 the game would show the holy water picture, but none of my units could pick it up. Kinda annoying with the undead....
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Pravin, I'm glad to hear it worked with the new version. In general when loading new campaigns from the campaign server it's always a good idea to quit Wesnoth and reopen it, just to make sure all the files that you just downloaded load properly.

bobis2high, whoops, thanks for catching that. I put the holy water there for just that reason. Obviously I missed something. I'll fix it this evening and post an update. In Normal difficulty I have managed to beat level 3 without the holy water (though Elyssa helps a lot), so it is possible, though much more difficult.
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

quartex wrote:l'ultimo cruco thanks for the post.

As you may know on OS X there are 2 places you can store campaigns. One is within the wensoth app contents/resources/data/campaigns/
The other is in your home/library/preferences/wesnoth/data/campaigns/
Right now I'm running the campaign fine from library/preferences/wesnoth/data/campaigns/. But can you check for me on your computer? You said that the custom graphics appeared when you put the campaign in contents/resources/data/campaigns/, if you remove that copy and move it to library/preferences/wesnoth/data/campaigns/, does the custom graphics still work?
I'm glad you liked the first scenario where you couldn't recruit. It was tempting at first to make all the scenarios like this, but while I like streching the bounds of a wesnoth scenario and doing different things, scenarios are just more fun when you can recall units from previous scenarios, or when you have some control over what units are in your army. It would be kind of boring if you always had the same units becuase you only had the units I gave you in each scenario.
About the images:
Well, first I downloaded the new (0.1.2) version through the campaign server, which stored it in the library/... branch. I still couldn't see the images. Then I dragged a copy to the contents/data... branch and installed it there as well, so with actually two copies installed - the campaign appeared indeed twice in the game. Now the images showed correctly. On your domand I dragged out the copy in the contents/data... branch, but by now the images can be seen without problems :?:
So, I can't really see where the point is, but now all functions well.

About the no recruit option:
I intended that you where bound to the troops you get in the first scenario -> recall yes, recruit no; making it more and more difficult to go on, unless you use your tropps wisely, which I think could add to the exodus feeling of the campaign. From time to time you get some fresh troops - encounters, other survivors, new allies, etc - and you know you have to keep "your people" alive, if you want to succede.
But as I said, just an idea and I'm confident I'll like your campaign anyway.

Tonight (I'm on +1 gm, in Italy) I'll give the next two scenarios a try if I manage to finish some slack work, directly with the latest version.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I released 0.1.3 last night which probably fixes the image problem. I forgot to manually link the images to the campaign. Also there's a bug with some holy water at the end of scenario 2, I plan on releasing an update to fix that tonight. Otherwise enjoy the campaign.

Just being able to recall would make players concentrate on protecting units, it's an interesting idea. Later in campaigns people like to recruit new units to use as cannon fodder, not being able to recruit new units would definitely change your strategy and probably force you to be much more careful not to lose any units.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

quartex wrote:I just uploaded version 0.1.3 to the campaign server. This version has the added line of code to the campaign.cfg file:
{@campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/images}
Sorry if I'm about to be a bit harsh...

That is COMPLETELY USELESS!!! It only parses cfg files! [binary_path] is the only way to do it. The problem with yours is there should be no / on the end of the path.

Also, how dare you put so much stuff outside the campaign #ifdef, especially a macro with a generic name?!?!??!!!!

Here is the minimally fixed version...

I swear, I am going to make a generic campaign for people to start with. They keep making unnecessary mistakes.
Attachments
Under_the_Burning_Suns.cfg
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Invisible Philosopher, you aren't being too harsh, thank you for correcting my mistakes. I realize that my code has been very ugly recently, and I have gotten away with it "becuase it works". But your criticism is well deserved. I just plead ignorance becuase when I had no idea what to do I just copied other people's campaigns becuase their code must work, right? This practice can cause mistakes and generally ugly style to be spread from campaign to campaign. A good default campaign.cfg file as well as perhaps a quick lesson in style is definitely a good thing.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Well, I've just finished the campaign (what there is of it so far), and I can honestly say that it's my favourite Wesnoth Campaign yet, trumping my prior picks (HttT and TRoW). This is mostly due to the style of the campaign; dialogue-and-event heavy "questing" rather than straightforward "here's the situation, go fight" tactical combat.

It also highlights the need for a "Change Scenario Objectives" event, which changes the listed scenario objectives to a new string.

As a matter of interest, are you in need of any artwork? I'm already tempted to modify the Elvish graphics so that the "Desert Elves" are dressed in amber and ochre, and the new, long/short day/night cycle could probably use some distinctive graphics to make it clear exactly where in the cycle you are.

Not to mention unique graphics for the lead characters; Kaleh and Nim, which would obviously be a lot more diffcult.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
scott

Post by scott »

In scenario 2 I sent a scout up the right side. When I saw the ogre castle, I also got some dialogue "We should help her" but I had not spotted the mage yet.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I know why that's happening, the entire encounter happens to the NE of your unit. If he's on the right edge the encounter is created off the map, thuse the mage and the undead never appear on the map, thus they can't speak their parts and all you hear is the unit's comment. I need to add an error-checking clause that keeps you from drawing the encounter offscreen. Will do. Thanks.