Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I have removed UTBS from the Wesnoth 1.1.2 campaign server becuase it already exists in the mainline. A surprising number of people were still downloading the older version on the campaign server. A much older version of UTBS is still available on the Wesnoth 1.0.2 campaign server for people that want to play that version. But frankly I'm not putting much effort into supporting it.

I'm a fan of the band They Might Be Giants, and while I was writing UTBS I listened to a lot of their music so it was only a matter of time until I started trying to create a TMBG soundtrack for UTBS. Specifically it occurred to me that "The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas" was really appropriate for the second scenario.

I couldn't think of song for each scenario, but here's my partial TMBG/UTBS soundtrack. Some songs fit thematically better than others, but I thought TMBG fans would get a kick out of the connections.

Scenario 1: Pencil Rain (referring to the rain of stones)
Scenario 2: The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas
Scenario 3: Wearing a Raincoat (""And the undead are like / A bunch of friends / That demand constant attention")
Scenario 4: Whistling in the Dark
Scenario 5: Particle Man (referring to the different sides all in conflict with each other)
Scenario 6.1/6.2: ???
Scenario 7.1/7.2: ???
Scenario 8: She's an Angel (referring to Eloh)
Scenario 9: Kiss Me, Son of God (referring to Eloh or Tanstafal)
Scenario 10: The World's Address
Scenario 11: Women & Men (referring to the Desert Elves)
Scenario 12: Your Own Worst Enemy
Scenario 13: The End of the Tour
Last edited by quartex on April 26th, 2006, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
scott

Post by scott »

If I remember these scenarios correctly, how about...

6.1/6.2 Spider ("Get rid of him!")
7.1/7.2 Birdhouse in you Soul (see: "Hope is a thing with feathers")
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Good suggestions. However 'Birdhouse in your Soul' doesn't actually contain the lyrics "Hope is a thing with feathers". Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.
scott

Post by scott »

quartex wrote:Good suggestions. However 'Birdhouse in your Soul' doesn't actually contain the lyrics "Hope is a thing with feathers". Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.
That's correct, but I am almost positive the poem and the song are talking about the same thing.
Emily Dickinson wrote: Hope

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
http://www.lyricsdepot.com/they-might-b ... -soul.html (posting the lyrics would be too long of a post)

Judge for yourself!
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

SmokemJags wrote:
two, in the second scenario, when you kill the last scorpion, it supposedly drops a ring, but there is no ring on the ground, and if it was supposed to be given to the one who killed the scorp, it has no visible effect.
The ring appears at a set hex location after the scorpians are killed regardless of where they are killed. This is especially confusing if you kite the scorpians far from where they originally spawn.

Yes, it crashes like crazy when dialogue starts. Your guess is as good as mine, everyone seems to suffer from it.
Maybe a message could be adjusted to say something to the effect that "I thought I saw a ring earlier where we first bumped into the scorpions..."

Also, I think the code for the ring's effect is buggy. A unit wearing the ring will lose 5 hp if it is undamaged, but not lose 5hp once it sustains initial damage.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

blackjack wrote: Also, I think the code for the ring's effect is buggy. A unit wearing the ring will lose 5 hp if it is undamaged, but not lose 5hp once it sustains initial damage.
This has been fixed in the SVN version. The ring now functions correctly and drops at the location of the last scorpion killed.
Sly

Post by Sly »

I saw another bug : in In the Tunnels of the Trolls, there is no crypt or tomb in the secret passage where the zombie is ... Zhul says she can see something accros the chasm, but when I go there she finds nothing :(

Alse I think siding with the dwarves is a little easier, but the dwarven sentinel is less usefull than the troll chieftain :twisted:
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Sly wrote:I saw another bug : in In the Tunnels of the Trolls, there is no crypt or tomb in the secret passage where the zombie is ... Zhul says she can see something accros the chasm, but when I go there she finds nothing :(
Thanks for pointing this out. The coffin and the corresponding event have been reactived in the SVN version.
Tropico

Post by Tropico »

Do you have any suggestions to stop the random crashes in Windows discussed in http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10514 ?

Soliton said it was caused by an ICC profile int he PNGs which is incompatible, and that it can be ripped out. I don't know how to do that but I would definitely give it a shot if you have any hints as to how.
frickenmoron

Post by frickenmoron »

Hi people, ive managed to fix dialogue crash issues by opening all the portrait pngs in a different image software (paint shop pro) and saving them again.

No more crash ever occurred in a dialogue for me then in UTBS. At least that helped under windows.
Xandria

dialogue crash

Post by Xandria »

the dialogue crash happened to me too... is it sufficient to just open the files and save them again as the same file type?
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

If you use something different then Photoshop that should to the trick.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Ragwortshire

Post by Ragwortshire »

I found a tiny bug in the unit config - the Desert Sentinel has one of its frames marked "elvish-desert-seninel" whereas the image is "elvish-desert-sentinel".

Not sure if this is the right place to put it, or if it has been fixed already. I did at least search the forum for "seninel". :)
There midnight's all a-glimmer, and noon a purple glow. (The Lake Isle of Inisfree - W.B. Yeats)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Ragwortshire wrote:I found a tiny bug in the unit config - the Desert Sentinel has one of its frames marked "elvish-desert-seninel" whereas the image is "elvish-desert-sentinel".

Not sure if this is the right place to put it, or if it has been fixed already. I did at least search the forum for "seninel". :)
Thanks. I just fixed this in the SVN version. Hopefully 1.1.3 will be released soon-ish and allow everyone to play the improved version.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

quartex wrote:
Ragwortshire wrote:I found a tiny bug in the unit config - the Desert Sentinel has one of its frames marked "elvish-desert-seninel" whereas the image is "elvish-desert-sentinel".

Thanks. I just fixed this in the SVN version. Hopefully 1.1.3 will be released soon-ish and allow everyone to play the improved version.
Well, there's a bug in "Blood is thicker than water" which prevents from playing the SVN... some closing tag missing, apparently. In the scenario cfg, to be precise. Or at least that's what the error message said.

This problem is now fixed, or should be..

There's some weird stuff in the scenario 8 .cfg, though, but it doesn't make playing unpossible.