Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

A notice to everyone translating UTBS:

After much deliberation, I have decided to go back and rewrite scenario 5 "A Subterranean Struggle" and split it into two parts to speed up the gameplay and fix the income problems. For this reason I may have to add/change some of the dialogue and intro text. So I strongly suggest that everyone translating UTBS not translate scenario 5 until I have finished the rewrite. Going back and rewriting scenario 5 will take a lot of work, but it the end I think it will make UTBS a better campaign.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

lougarou, I went through the UTBS v1.1.1 Scenario 5 WML code, and strangely I couldn't find the "Store Kaleh" code that you quoted:

Code: Select all

[store_unit] 
      [filter] 
         description=Kaleh       
      [/filter]    
         variable=elf_var 
[/store_unit]
I backup each version of UTBS that I upload to the campaign server, and I went through some of the older versions and still couldn't find this code. So I'm not sure where it came from.

I have changed that code somewhat and will upload a new version soon, so hopefully if you replay Scenario 5 you won't have the same problem.
lougarou

Post by lougarou »

quartex wrote:lougarou, I went through the UTBS v1.1.1 Scenario 5 WML code, and strangely I couldn't find the "Store Kaleh" code that you quoted
It is in scenario 4. Around line 1561.
Grey_Wolf_c

Post by Grey_Wolf_c »

I have a feeling that this is more me not knowing enough of the inner workings of Wesnoth than actual bugs, but there are two things a tad fishy happening to me in the "Morning After" scenario:

- Lesser mud piles and whatever it is that attacks you in the central lake do not show up - they are there, but invisible. I detect them by running the mouse over the screen until the movement tiles pop up - this makes for some painful surprise attacks from creatures I don't realise are there. Strangely enough, the level 1 mud piles do show up (only level 0s are "invisible"). I didn't think it could be a bug until I was attacked by the lake enemy.

- Most enemies don't fight back - nor do my elves, when attacked. I have a feeling this might be an 1.1.1 issue rather than a burning sands issue, since I have seen it in at least one other campaign. Essentially, when attacked the enemies display a "0/0" attack for the range in question, as if they didn't have such attack - but they do (mud piles have both short and long range, and so do skeleton archers - not to mention de elves). Again, I thought it might have been one of the rule changes specific to the Burning Suns (like the day/night cycle), but I'm starting to wonder, now.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Wesnoth 1.1.1, Mac OS X
Disto

Post by Disto »

This issue will be that UtBS was programmed for before 1 and now there are a lot of new and updated code in 1.1.x so that'll not run quite as smoothly.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Grey_Wolf_c

Post by Grey_Wolf_c »

Could it be related to the new WML tags that allow for customization of attack types? Since the elves were changed, they might be using melee and ranged while the other creatures are using short and long (or viceversa) - that would mean that no attacks can be returned (since they are no longer synonymous).

I've advanced to the second stage, and I can confirm that it happens too with the bandits of the oasis.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf
lougarou

Post by lougarou »

lougarou wrote:
quartex wrote:lougarou, I went through the UTBS v1.1.1 Scenario 5 WML code, and strangely I couldn't find the "Store Kaleh" code that you quoted
It is in scenario 4. Around line 1561.
I checked: when removing those lines, the code is fine. It is also fine if whether you remove those lines or not, but if some soldier is right below (south) of Kaleh at the time of the cloak appearance. I think that if this is the case, the second filter applies and the store_unit is replaced by the soldier below. Else Kaleh is stored, and duplicated when cloak disappears.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Grey_Wolf_c wrote:Could it be related to the new WML tags that allow for customization of attack types? Since the elves were changed, they might be using melee and ranged while the other creatures are using short and long (or viceversa) - that would mean that no attacks can be returned (since they are no longer synonymous)
You are very likely right. Attacks for 1.1.1+ should be labled "melee" and "ranged"
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

A lot of these bugs are caused by the changing unit definitions in 1.1.1. I have a lot of custom units that are using old code. I'm going to have to go through and update all the code with the new commands. It's annoying, but it seems that WML has changed a lot since I first coded UTBS.

Right now I'm trying to go through and update UTBS for 1.1.1 and also do a major revision on a few scenarios. For this reason, I won't be fixing these bugs immediately, but instead you should see a big release in a few weeks.

Thanks for your patience.

P.S. Due to the 150+ custom units I have I'm finding having to manually change various parts of their unit definitions to be very annoying and tedious. I wish the older definitions could have been continued to be supported in 1.1.1+.
Grey_Wolf_c

Post by Grey_Wolf_c »

Quartex, I've read that there is an automatic script that will change the most obvious problems - like the melee/short, ranged/long issue - somewhere in the WML development zone?. If not, it might pay of to do one for yourself - a simple sed might be what you need:

sed s/melee/short/g [file of custom unit] > [file custom unit 1.1.1]

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thank you for the suggestion Grey_Wolf_c, I actually ended up doing it all by hand. It was better that way becuase it allowed me to proofread my unit files and fix some mistakes and add some missing images.

A notice to all those wonderful people who are translating UTBS:

I have pretty much finished redoing the strings for UTBS and have posted an update to the SVN. When I went through the unit files I found some that had no translation tags and others that were improperly tagged, so you'll find some changes there. I have also split scenario 5 ("A Subterranean Struggle") into 3 scenarios, and added some dialogue, so you'll find lots of changes there as well.

I have no doubt there are some mistakes and typos and I may change a few sentences, but the biggest changes are finished and I think you can continue translating. I'm making this public announcement becuase I've lost contact with some of you and am a bit vague on who is doing what, but thank you all for your hard work, I'm honored that so many people want to translate my rather long-winded campaign into other languages, and I am delighted that non-english speakers will be able to play UTBS in their native tounge. As always, if you have any questions or problems, feel free to private message me. A new string file with the updated strings should be available on the wescamp SVN repository soon.
Grey_Wolf_c

Post by Grey_Wolf_c »

Qatex, any ETA on the 1.1.1 upload? You don't mention it in your post, but a quick check on the 1.1 server hrew up nothing. I supose I could assume you uploaded it to the 1.0 server, but it is a bit of a hassle to find, so I'd rather ask first - can I dowload this fixed version from anwhere?

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
Grey_Wolf_c

Post by Grey_Wolf_c »

Ummmm... ignore that. I just found it in the 1.1 server, but I must report that the bugs are still there - the lesser mudpiles are still invisible, and the elves and mudpiles use different attack words.

Sorry

Grey Wolf
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Grey_wolf_c sorry for not replying earlier, I've been so busy working on UTBS that I've been neglecting the forums. I'm currently working on a major update to UTBS, which I expect to have completed in the next week or two. Besides fixing all the bugs you've listed, I have split Scenario 5 into three parts (the first half and then a dwarf second half and a troll second half) which has taken a lot of work. I also hope to introduce some new artwork.

I know UTBS is very broken right now, if people can just wait a week or two, I think you will be justly rewarded. Thank you.
BurningSuns

Post by BurningSuns »

game could not be loaded

unit not found : 'Orcish Leader'

Stirring in the night turn 6

Please help

realy interesting game, thanks alot

if it is solved now please give a link