[Historical] Liberty

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Just upgraded to 1.3.2, and saw a bunch of errors on the console as the campaign was cached, starting with

Code: Select all

error: preprocessor symbol 'MK_UNIT' has 4 arguments, 5 expected: 'MK_UNIT 19 27 2 (Goblin Pillager)  '
(lots more MK_UNIT errors snipped), then

error: preprocessor symbol 'SEEKER' has 4 arguments, 5 expected: 'SEEKER 7 14 2 (Shock Trooper) '
then more MK_UNIT and MK_GUARD and MK_UNIT errors again.

The code for SEEKER is:

#define SEEKER X Y SIDE UTYPE NAME
which seems to expect a NAME argument, while the usage seems to have blank NAME arguments.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

If you don't want to give them a name, how about putting "" for the fifth argument.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

MadMax wrote:""
or just '()'...
scott

Post by scott »

The ( [space] ) works. I also fixed a disappearing campfire and - hang on - female fugitives!

I continue to appreciate the feedback.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Herkum

Post by Herkum »

I had been playing this campaign and I find that has been very interesting. I did come across a stumbling block and I wanted to share my thoughts about it.

Spoilers

I got as the Grey Woods and then I was not able to proceed any further. I did not have alot of experienced units, only about 5 level 2 units, 5~ that were closing to leveling to 2 and 720~ gp at medium level. At this point I did not have enough strength to complete the scenario. I would have to purchase a LARGE number of level 1 units, they are too slow to get through the woods quickly and too weak to stay in combat too long. The distance from the villages was also a limiting factor.

What I ended up with is a war of attrition, that I could eventually win against the yellow Lich but it would take around 10~ units to wear him down. Once I had this victory it would take about 6 to 7 turns for these units to move south or 5~ turns to go towards the middle. Through in the Wraiths with their superior movement I would lose momentum to push south through the woods quickly.

To hold my own against the green and purple I would have to be very agressive and drive a wedge between them with 25~ units. The problem is that Zombies do not give enough experience to level units, and they do enough damage that I have to rotate wounded units to villages far behind the line. It would be a stalemate where I cannot gather experience to level, lack villages to heal, and not enough forces to push the issue.

With all of these issues combined with a long time to complete the mission it get fustruating to know you are going to lose after 1 1/2 hours of playing.

I don't have any easy answers for addressing some of these problems, move villages towards where combat takes place instead of being so far away and terrian that is not so difficult to move through. The southern approach seems so out of the way and does not seem to contribute much to the map. If a player could use it sneak more towards the purple Lich it would be more important part of the map. As it was, it takes 7 turns to proceed through the area.

I do not want to seem that I am complaining, I just wanted to let you know of the difficulties that I encountered in a very fun campaign.
Iron

Post by Iron »

MORE SPOILERS:

I found this level hard as well, but it is by no means insurmountable even with poorly leveled units to start with (although I did have one huntsman).

Driving a wedge between the green and pink liches is unlikely to work IMHO, as all you'll do is get sandwiched between them and end up fighting on two fronts. You're much better off using a small force to distract one while you deal with the other with 90% of your army - don't let them join up. Napoleon's classic strategy in other words. You have to be aggressive, going all out to eradicate the enemy rather than falling back if you take casualties. If you don't they'll build armies so huge you haven't a chance.

Oh, and try and get all of the villages as well - don't be nice to your ally. You need the gold to keep a constant stream of reinforcements coming. Send a unit or two south purely to grab those villages too.
scott

Post by scott »

One problem is that the stats for the ghost line have changed since I built the scenarios but I haven't thought about going back and seeing how the wraiths do in this level. I can post a replay (on medium) of this level if you want. In the replay I ended up winning on the last turn. If it makes you feel any better, this is the hump in the campaign.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Herkum

Post by Herkum »

I don't think that I need a replay, if I played it enough times I am sure that I would win.

I find that it takes a long time, before it becomes obvious that I cannot win and that takes away from the fun. I am replaying the missing with a eye on developing by army a bit better.
Iron

Post by Iron »

scott wrote:If it makes you feel any better, this is the hump in the campaign.
Actually scott I found the next level harder, as I'd chosen for the allied army to join me later rather than taking the gold or whatever the other choice was. Therefore I had the bare minimum of 100 gold (Grey Woods kinda empties your bank balance) & had no way of winning.
scott

Post by scott »

You would probably do ok if you took the gold because you always get to recruit 1 new unit, and enough of those should see you through.

I should make a poll to see what option people pick.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Iron

Post by Iron »

Yes, as soon as I realized I couldn't win with 100 gold I went back to Grey Woods (thankfully I'd saved a game close to the end) and chose the gold.

The "borrow our troops" option - what does that do exactly? I didn't take it as I assumed it gave you access to the allied vets ... all very well except all the allied units bar the leader were dead long before the end, mostly due to dumb behaviour once they got poisoned.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

'borrow our troops' gives you access to rogue mages.

scott

Post by scott »

and thieves and shadow mages. The rogue mages are more for novelty because they cost too much for just 2 scenarios - the thieves are good to have though.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

A few weeks ago I downloaded Libnerty from the campaign server.

I just tried in using 0.8.7, and upcoming beating the first scenario I got an error "Illegal Character". Is there a newer version of Liberty i should be using?

Here's the error output:

loading map: 'fgffhghhfhhhghggwgwwwgwnwngnfnfnfnfnhfhh
hwccYwfffffghggfggwgwnngnRngnRngngngnnfh
wwwcccgcwgffhggcfggnnvRgvRgfgfRRvRfRggng
ccccccccccccfccgggnfggRgvRggvRRgRgRvfgng
cwccwwcccpcwcggffgnggRRggRggRggggRggggnf
ccwgwwYccwg\ggtggRnRgRvggRggRggRRRRRgfng
wggggggcwfffggcrrRRRRRRRRrRRRRRRC1CRggnf
gggfgggwcwfggrrgrfnggRggRRRgRgRRCRCRggnf
ggfgggvrc/rrrggggfnggRgfgRggggggRRRgggng
gfgfgrrgrccggfffffnfggRRgRvgfgRggggfggng
frrrrffgffccffggggnnggvRggRRRRRvgggRggng
rggfgffffgfgcgtfgggngggRvgRvfgRRRRRgRnnf
gfgtffgfggfgccfggfggnnvgggRggvRgggvnngfh
n2ffgffggfgfgfccgfffgwnngngngnRngnnfgffs
ggggggggggggfggffssssswfnfnfnfnfnfgffhhs
'
Illegal character in map: (112) 'p'
The game map could not be loaded: Illegal character
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

It has not been updated to use bridge tiles instead of pier tiles. What is happening is that it can't find the pier, which has been removed.