The South Guard

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aelius

Post by aelius »

I wondered how The South Guard ended up as a Cavalier before...

I'll look through and try and find something good to use. It'd really be nice if campaigns could have their custom icons appear in the campaign listing.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

it only appears as your speacial unit once someone actually has that unit
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
kilder
Translator

Post by kilder »

I've finished it today (human branch, i'll try the elf one soon) and is a great campaign.

Well, i noticed some bugs, regarding AMLA (btw, vs 1.0)

-Deoran : it says something about an slowing attack, but didn't change anything. I was disappointed to see he didn't have Lv3 (as scott said before )

-Sir Gerrick: The AMLA option that adds one attack more doesn't work too. I also think that only 40 XP to amla it's a bit low, but that's my opinion, anything.

Great plot, anyways, it's been a pleasure :)

Do you have any news about The north wind?? I remember playing it and it looked quite promising :)

Ah, and there's any chance you add this campaign to wescamp? I would gladly translate it :wink:
Kvasir
Code Contributor

Post by Kvasir »

This campaign looks very good so far, would be ideal as a starter campaign.

I have a bunch of minor remarks which I hope will help you to improve it even more.

Why is Deoran so wimpy at level 2? He only has half the attack strength of a lancer. The other leaders don't have such a huge handicap.

On hard it is a bit weird the south guard soldier is a peasant. I can understand why (level 2 at easy; level 1 at normal and level 0 at hard) but I think the text should be changed to make him a local peasant instead of a south guard soldier.

In the second scenario four peasants are spawned, each loyal. Since they don't cost any upkeep anyway it might be best to give them other traits on the harder levels since having four loyal soldiers will give a fairly big benefit to bastards that keep and use all of them.

Again in the second scenario on the easy level it was really trivial for me as the outlaw guard got scared and ran away from the citadel without fighting. But on the hard level it is fairly though, if you get unlucky it becomes impossible to get the outlaws killed in time.

In the third level you could maybe flag some (or all) of the villages north as belonging to the outlaws because the AI first sends everything he recruits north to take the villages. And with his army up north the leader is rather easy to kill.

I am not sure if you can change this but in the fourth level on easy the dark adept AI refused to recruit anything until I was right next to him.

The unwinnable scenario lacks an event if you beat both liches. And with a little luck it isn't that hard to beat the undead at the easiest level. I guess the best solution is to give them a higher income as time progresses, Another solution would be to remove the ability to hire the chaotic humans after some turns.

The cave scenario (only played it once on hard) is boring. I lost it, First I got north with most of my force to find out there is nothing there. I guess if that happens either give more turns or make a dwarf appear that tells you, you are wrong. At the very end I got south and saw a couple of dwarves fight the undead. I couldn't do anything but see the dwarves fighting because they was no room for my soldiers in the 1 hex wide opening.

But very good work until now.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I've rather enjoyed this campaign so far. It has a good chance of becoming The beginner campaign. I found i was caught up with the story half way through. The choice between allies is a nice dramatic point. Unfortunately i've gotten stuck in the cave, maybe i should try it with the outlaws.

P.S. any reason this forum topic is STILL titled "New"?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Rune

Post by Rune »

Hi.

Thanks for a great campaign.

I have an issue with the "Into the Depths" scenario though. After playing it several times and trying lots of different stuff I finally went and looked at the scenario file to find out what the scenario objectives actually were. I think that is not something that should be necessary.

Also, I find it a bit odd that you don't win if you kill both the Troll leader and the Lich. Why pay the trolls when you can simply kill them?
Rune

Post by Rune »

I just read the scenario file more thoroughly, and it seems that there is an event which makes the Trolls your ally. This event has never happened for me, so I've killed the trolls instead... Have anyone else had problems with this?
aelius

Post by aelius »

kilder wrote: Deoran : it says something about an slowing attack, but didn't change anything. I was disappointed to see he didn't have Lv3 (as scott said before )
I may add a third level to Deoran if I get in a mood to do the art, but he will always be weak. He's meant to be young and inexperienced, not some great hale warrior blazing his way through the lands.

I'll look into the AMLA for Gerrick, too.
Ah, and there's any chance you add this campaign to wescamp? I would gladly translate it :wink:
I've tried a couple of times, and darned it I can't get the software to work on my machine... I'd love it to be translated sometime.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
aelius

Post by aelius »

Apologies for the double post, but I've been out of town for a week and haven't had access to the net. I'm back now.

The South Guard, version 1.0.2 has been uploaded to the campaign server with the following changes:

- Units & Miscellaneous:
* It now takes 50xp to get each AMLA for Sir Gerrick
* It now takes 40xp to get each AMLA for Deoran
* It now takes 34xp to advance Deoran to the Horseman Commander (!)

- Into The Depths:
* The troll sighted event will now work properly.
* There is now fog in the scenario (to make the above work).

- A Desperate Errand:
* The enemies start out with more plentiful villages.
* I have included Eleazar's Great Tree terrain from this thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8468

Things I'm working on now are:

- Pebbles in the Flood:
* Making it actually impossible to win. Heh.
* Creating graphics for the bomb the trolls give you in Into the Depths.
* Creating graphics for the Lance Commander that Deoran will become.

As always, let me know if there are bugs and whatnot.

- b.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

aelius wrote:I've tried a couple of times, and darned it I can't get the software to work on my machine... I'd love it to be translated sometime.
I assume that you're having trouble to setup Subversion? What OS do you use? If it's linux, you may ask me. If it's Mac, try asking Scott or Ivanovic for help. If it's Windows... convince me to do a testsetup on my laptop to be able to help you there. :wink:
Once you've got that step done it's very easy since you need only three commands from there on: svn add (mark new files as belonging to the repository), svn commit (commiting your changes) and svn update (pulling translated files from the repository).
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
aelius

Post by aelius »

Yah - I'm using OS X 10.4.0, and darned if I can't get subversion to work for me. And I'd really like to have the campaign translated...

- b.
scott

Post by scott »

You can PM me with specific subversion problems.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

Hi. I started playing SG two days ago and have noticed 2 problems so far:

1) In developement version (SVN), the Sea Hag unit has been removed as obsolete. This broken the "Tidings, Good and Ill" scenario. I guess the unit should be added to the campaign itself.

2) Dismounted commander lacks "command" animation, which causes him do disappear when he commands a nearby unit.

Other than that, I enjoy it greatly.
gdou

French translation available.

Post by gdou »

Aelius,

I saw you would be happy to see your campaign translated.

It is done in french. It has given me a lot of pleasure translating it, so this is a call to translators in other languagues.

Thanks for your campaign and kind regards.
scott

Post by scott »

You should decide if this is going to be a 1.0 campaign or a 1.1-2.0 campaign. Features, units, file locations, WML, etc. are going to start changing. It may become mandatory for you to choose one or the other soon (I recommend you keep it 1.0 compatible and ignore 1.1+ compatibility). In the future you can develop a 1.1-2.0 version if you want. It's going to be hard to keep it universal, especially if balancing efforts start changing the units.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.