The South Guard

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AI
Developer

Re: Beginner Campaign: The South Guard

Post by AI »

I believe the dialogue tells you the exact same things. It is intentional.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, exactly. You can take any units you want with Gerrick, and then the rest go with Deoran.
Iah

Post by Iah »

Hello!

I would like to know what is that "b" part?

I played on the hard difficulty and completed the campaign. However, after I won the scenario "Vengence", the campaign was over... How can I play the additionnal scenarios?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

It's a different branch. If you accept the help of the bandits, the elves leave and you play the 'b' scenarios. If you don't, you have to kill the bandits and play the 'a' scenarios.
Iah

Post by Iah »

Actually I diden't had a dialog with the bandits. At the beggining, I sent a scout to capture the 2 villages at the east and a bandit with blond hair killed it. Then, I went south and faced the undeads. On the south-east, there is a bridge. I must cross it to go see the bandits in order to get the dialog?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You should have gotten to speak with the bandit when you got close to his camp, this sounds like a bug.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Come to think about it, I never got to talk with the bandits either. I just played the campaign last week. I wasn't going to play with them anyway, and at the time, I though that it might be because I'd recruited a whole castle full of elves. I forgot about it until now.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Re:

Post by beetlenaut »

Shasaar wrote:
Jigsawn wrote:"Into the Depths" though is very, very hard.
Usually, when you can't beat a scenario, the key is to go back a couple scenarios and concentrate on reaching the hard scenario with more high-level units. I would suggest this: Replay the forest one, and do your best to finish off skeletons with a couple elvish shamans. Use them to slow enemies down when they can't kill one. Hopefully, you can level some up, and start the cave with some sorceresses: they are slow underground, but wicked against the undead. A couple spearmen leveled into swordsmen or royal guards are very helpful as well. They do a fair amount of damage against skeletons at least, and they can protect other units without dying easily. Getting your mage to level 3 would also be a great help. At level 3, he will illuminate the area around him making your lawful units fight better, and the undead fight worse.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Flying Mage

Post by Flying Mage »

I was a bit disappointed, when my White Mage reach out 4th level but did not get it.
His exp reset, amount to reach next level raised, but characteristics stay the same.
It was in last scenario, but still…
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

It's called an AMLA. Standard game mechanic for units levelling up and having nothing to level into. Doesn't go far enough if you ask me, but making a L4 Mage of Light is probably more effort than it's worth (and might unbalance this campaign and many others).
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Orcish Shyde wrote:It's called an AMLA.
Which stands for "After Maximum Level Advancement". White magi, and most other units, have a maximum level of three.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Some units also only have a maximum level of two. You can tell if your unit is going to hit the maximum level by looking at the color of the experience numbers when you have to choose between advancements (If there is a choice). Blue means that the unit still has a another level beyond the one it is leveling into, and purple means that it is the unit's maximum level.

You can also look at the user description of a unit in order to understand the advancement path of all your units.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Flying Mage

Post by Flying Mage »

Orcish Shyde wrote:making a L4 Mage of Light is probably more effort than it's worth (and might unbalance this campaign and many others).
Unbalance - maybe. But I didn’t make any special efforts to make level 4. This mage was unbelievable useful against the undead.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

That's because Fire and Arcane are unbelivably useful damage types.
IMHO, some unit re-balancing should definately take place (in general, not just for South Guard)
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

TrashMan wrote:IMHO, some unit re-balancing should definately take place (in general, not just for South Guard)
Do not sidetrack the South Guard thread with comments like this. Do note before you start a new thread that you are arguing that a level 4 Great Mage or level 3 Mage of Light often prove to be too powerful in campaigns against level 1 or level 2 undead. Not to mention, it often takes several scenarios for a player to level them the unit that high.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time