[Historical] Legend of Wesmere (add-on version)

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tillea

Post by tillea »

tillea wrote: Kind regards and thanks for fixing the campaign
After finishing 14_Ancient_Alliance I got

Code: Select all

next_scenario: '15_The_Treaty'
Jan 27 22:30:12 error general: The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Invalid starting position (-999,-999) for the leader of side 1.
so it seems that several scenarios are fixed but 15_The_Treaty is not. I attached the last working savegame where you have to kill the last Orc leader and the one that does not load.

Another remark: I wonder why those units that stay with Kalenz are no loyal units. It starts with Cleodil and their both companion fighters and I would also regard Olurf story wise as loyal units. It's a little bit unlogical and quite hard to pay for those experianced units that stick always to you.

Kind regards

Andreas.
Attachments
Der_Pakt.gz
This savegame does not load
(36.83 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Historische_Allianz-Autospeichern16.gz
Try to kill the last Orc leader
(116.79 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Thanks for the report. You are correct, the conversion script failed in this case.
I will post the corrected maps shortly. I already fixed The Treaty(Der Pakt) and am also working on the next map, which was also problematic.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

ok, here is the fix. I made sure this plays up to scenario 17. I am relying on your help to find any remaining problems, map or otherwise.
By the way, the idea of no upkeep for loyal units(Cleo, Olurd, Arkildur, Tameril etc) makes sense, but these units already have traits other than loyal. I might change that, but judging from your savegames after Ancient alliance, you are doing more than well goldwise, so this would unbalance the campaign, I think.
Attachments
maps.zip
(20.1 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
tillea

Post by tillea »

santi wrote:ok, here is the fix. I made sure this plays up to scenario 17.
Works until scenario 21. Uhm, loosing nearly all units is really hard ...
santi wrote: I am relying on your help to find any remaining problems, map or otherwise.
22_Northern_Battle.map is broken (a clear sign is the small file size I guess).
santi wrote: By the way, the idea of no upkeep for loyal units(Cleo, Olurd, Arkildur, Tameril etc) makes sense, but these units already have traits other than loyal. I might change that, but judging from your savegames after Ancient alliance, you are doing more than well goldwise, so this would unbalance the campaign, I think.
Well, OK I cheatet them to be loyal - perhaps this is one factor why I did reasonably good. Perhaps making them loyal and doing some other balancing might more sense story wise. It is not necessary for balancing.

Kind regards

Andreas.
Attachments
Elfische_ScharfschÃŒtzen_Runde_5h.gz
Move Kalenz to the signpost
(72.95 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Thanks again,
loops like map 22 is empty. I need to fix that. Meanwhile, can you resend the last savegame? it does not open.

Losing almost all your units may be uncomfortable at first, but
-it is justified by the story
-it is also justified by gameplay(you are too powerful by now)

Note that all shaman variants stay with you(it helps if their leader is kinda ... your girlfriend)

And, do not worry, you will have enough scenaria to rebuild a sizeable
army for the final showdowns.
Now, I need to fix the broken maps. Thanks again
tillea

Post by tillea »

santi wrote:Thanks again, loops like map 22 is empty.
It seems so. Please also have a look at 15_The_Treaty.map which also has very small byte count.
santi wrote: I need to fix that. Meanwhile, can you resend the last savegame? it does not open.
Just uploaded with ASCII only file name.
santi wrote: Losing almost all your units may be uncomfortable at first, but
-it is justified by the story
-it is also justified by gameplay(you are too powerful by now)
Sure - it's hard anyway, isn't it. ;-))
santi wrote: Note that all shaman variants stay with you(it helps if their leader is kinda ... your girlfriend)
You mean all shaman variants? I see only level one shaman units. No Princesses or Sylphides and no other healing units. I could easily live without the other fighters but I really like the magical units.
santi wrote: And, do not worry, you will have enough scenaria to rebuild a sizeable
army for the final showdowns.
Now, I need to fix the broken maps. Thanks again
Good luck
Andreas.
Attachments
Elvish_Assasins_Turn_5h.gz
Same savegame with ASCII-only name
(72.95 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Ok, I fixed ALL remaining maps -the treaty btw was also fine.
Staring with scenario 22, all shaman variants are recallable-which is a big help. They stick with you even after Scenario 23

Should be ok now.
Attachments
maps.zip
(18.16 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Just put the new version 1.4.4 on the 1.3 campaign server last night
This features:
-all bugfixes for maps in the new (standard) form
-updated translations
-new images(especially the images for the elvish scouts), but also Landar, Andulias, Velon and a few others

So this should be bug-free. I am not sure it is well-balanced though, and I really need user input in this respect, particularly on easy and medium, but also hard.
Orome

Post by Orome »

I would like thank Santi and to all other creators those campaign. Splendid action, well - balanced burdensomeness and genuine fantasy atmosphere, this are words that the me at playing. Coincidentally at this very moment I'm reding „ Silmarillion" from J.R.R. Tolkien again and whole story and some way battles me remind of this novel, markedly. I think, that the will not to be far from truth isnt´ Santi ?

Yesterday, after several renewals games, I succeed finish mission „save the King" Garard me case as if had IQ 20 and attack even if had 10 HP. So that perhaps after 10 attempt to me succeeded to him in time fight and with the help of nymphs keep him alive. But to the those mission am didn't have bigger problems with finishing any map. I'm playing on middle burdensomeness, version 1.2.5. Once more thanks, unexceptionable work.

I am sorry for bad English.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Orome,
thanks for your kind words. As a matter of fact we("Santi" is in fact 3 people, father+2sons)
never read any of Tolkien's books and only saw the LOTR trilogy in the movies after this campaign was completed. The main inspiration was The Rise of Wesnoth(TROW) campaign, which left many stories to be told and many gaps to fill in till the days of Konrand and Delfador.
I notice you are playing the 1.2 version, which was, I think well balanced, except perhaps for the next scenario. We have playtested extensively on the 1.2 branch, but only on hard and mainly relied on user input, such as yourself to balance on easy and normal.
With regard to your question, the strategy we used was to storm the orcish leader Black Eye Karun in 1.2, and now Zorlan in 1.3(blitz attacks are a common theme in the campaign, wipe out one enemy leader fast, regroup and face the others). You need to finish off quickly as Garard(as most of your human allies) cannot fend of for themselves and yes, the AI makes
very poor decisions, not much you can do about that. So to save Garard you need
good strategical and tactical play. On the strategic front, the main strategy is simple: get to Garard as soon as possible. The tactical themes
are that sometimes to protect an important unit, you need to give the enemy what it considers an easier or more important target. That is,
is Garard has HP 40 and you have next to him an elvish fighter with HP 20 and probably in bad terrain, the orcs wil first attach the elvish fighter unless they have special instructions(high priority targets, which they do not). This buys you more time at the expense of troops.

=========================
Another issue: ONLY for those using the 1.3 version(does not affect to Orome): There may be a bug in the Ancient Alliance map, where the human leader is passive and he is not in the right spot in the original map, hence he cannot recruit. The attached map should fix this problem
I will upload it in a few days perhaps
Attachments
14_Ancient_Alliance.zip
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

BTW if you go to http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/BuildingCampaignsThePBLFile you'll find a hint on how to have easier handling for translations. The campaign server is able to send your updates to WesCamp and fetch translations automatically if you tell it that your campaign has the proper markers ( _"...", #textdomain...).
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Hi Toragan,
in the pbl file I have a last line
translate=true
, but in the link you provide it says (this functionality is fully operational yet)(1.3.13 or SVN trunk only), so I guess it now is fully operational?
It should not matter that I uploaded from a 1.3.13 version-the campaign has been tested under 1.3.14 also and the server should not care if you
upload from 1.3.1 or 1.3.15(as long as it's the 1.3 server).

I'm not sure what this means though: Maybe I do not need to have translations in my campaign(saving a little upload time?)
Is there something else that I am missing?

BTW, what would be a BIG help is a delta-upload capability, especially for images, i.e. specify new images and delete unnecessary ones.
This would greatly shorten upload time(at least for those whithout DSL )
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

So far the campaign isn't automatically commited and IIRC the latest version of Wesnoth should compress the campaign on upload reducing the amount of data somewhat. A delta would be more complex as you'd first have to detect what's on the server to compute it.

santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Toragan, what is
IIRC? If you remember correctly?

Also, as I understand from your email:
- the pbl file is ok with the translation thing, but it will not do anything automatically
-the latest version (1.3.15) does compress?
-last, I do not see whay detecting what's on the server would be complex
When you click on add-ons, you get a list of campaigns on the server, so it knows that. When it detects a pbl on your machine, it shows that(upload, delete). So it should not be too complex to specify a delta, right?
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Yes, IIRC is If I Remember Correctly.

If you do the upload with a late version and the key is set correctly it should be put into WesCamp automatically. I'm not sure wheter a recent client version is required. It worked for some campaigns so I guess the error to be in your setup.
Detecting what's on the server as in detecting the exact differences between your version and that on the server is hard. To create an actual delta you need both versions to find the differences. What maybe could be done is to upload only files which have changes. But it's very unlikely to happen while we stabilize for 1.4 and have a feature freeze.