Northern Rebirth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

garak

Post by garak »

did the drake die in an earlier scenario?
if you keep him alive you can recruit drakes ,in the stolen gold scenario and onwards. :D
hagabaka

Post by hagabaka »

What garak said.

But it looks like if you didn't keep the drakes alive, you'll have a lich leader who can recruit trolls and ogres? That sounds pretty good too.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

hagabaka wrote:Troll welps and junior oggers? not sure what you're talking about...
If your drake friend dies earlier on, then one of the liches takes the North during 'Showdown' and is able to recruit Troll Whelps, Gryphons, Ogres and Mages. Same with the south - if Anita dies eariler on, then the Other Lich takes control of that side.
To be honest, the last scenario isn't as enjoyable as the rest. I lost motivation a few times during the scenario. I wish you could make it shorter, with more variation, somehow. There was an advice for giving the orc guards traits, and I think that would make it a little more interesting. And I think the It could also make it easier to lure some of the guards if they have the quick trait. Also most of the other non-recruited units should have traits too (I think only Tallin has them currently).
I agree that it should be shorter and I am in the process of doing that just now. It still will be quite a large scenario, but hopefully not something that will take an hour for each turn. And as was suggested earlier, I have already added traits to the orc guards in the latest SVN version :-)
Darkest wrote:I've noticed an error in the scenario named "the Pursuit"
One of the gold boxes contains too much gold!
Not sure what version you are playing, but that typo has been fixed in the latest mainline version...
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
hochbass

Post by hochbass »

The drake has gone long ago.
He didnt survive a dispute with some gryphons.
So I have to play with the Ancient Lich.
So he can recruit gryphons, I send a pack to the dwarfs. Troll welps and mages in ratio 2:1, a big party.

Now in turn 12 -my human with his strong Dwarfen Lords has captures the walls.
No problem to come to the end quickly.

Taurus
Is there a strategy for the AI to retreat there expeditions to rescue there leader in danger?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

hochbass wrote: Taurus
Is there a strategy for the AI to retreat there expeditions to rescue there leader in danger?
I highly doubht it. You should have smooth crusing from now on. Congragulations :-)

friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

Taurus wrote: I agree that it should be shorter and I am in the process of doing that just now. It still will be quite a large scenario, but hopefully not something that will take an hour for each turn.
If it's only to counter the slowness, then pĺease please please do this in a "Windows special" version (maybe that could be a special difficulty level or whatever). I would loathe to have this great campaign crippled just because some people are using an operating system which apparently can't cope with allocation of large static arrays.

On Linux, I didn't notice any particular lag. Of course attack animations add up to a certain amount of time while the AI opponent is moving about, but not more than could be expected for the number of units (and certainly less than I take myself to move about 100 units). If I tune up speed in the settings menu, everything happens so lightninglike fast my eyes can't follow. In fact, I'd rather sit down and enjoy the show (and know where a couple dozen of my units suddenly went :wink: )
hochbass

Post by hochbass »

This Showdown reminds me on the opening squence of the movy "Enemy at the gates" - Stalingrad
hordes of of spearman as kanonenfutter to brake the defence down and to save the more valued units - what a battle.

Taurus:
Many thanks for this campaign. I have finished in turn 16.

Is there a hidden story if I join the dark side in "Clearing the mines"? An other campaign? How about?

After some days of recuperation I will try to play this in "hard"
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Frair Tuck:

Well, it's good to hear that someone other then me doesen't have an issue with the speed :-)

But don't worry, I do not plan on crippling anything, or changing one of the most dinstinguising elements of this campaign - namely the large scale of the battles. It will just be more refined, tight and balanced. Mind you though, I still have to go through all the other scenarios first so it may be a while yet before I get to that particular scenario.

Hochbass:

Glad you liked the campaign :-) Yes, there is another branch of the campaign if you join the dark side. However, this branch is still under construction so you won't be able to play it through till the end. It also could use a bit of ballancing...

The other campaign that I helped do, and am currently Maintaining is Son of the Black Eye. The battles aren't as big as the ones in Northern Rebirth (except maby for one or two climatic battles) but it is well balanced and has a strong storyline. Give it a shot and let me know what you think :-)

Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Taurus wrote:If your drake friend dies earlier on, then one of the liches takes the North during 'Showdown' and is able to recruit Troll Whelps, Gryphons, Ogres and Mages. Same with the south - if Anita dies eariler on, then the Other Lich takes control of that side.
For defending the northern keep it might even be advantageous to let the drake die. Trolls can take much more heavy punishment in mountains and hills than drakes... :twisted:
I agree that it should be shorter and I am in the process of doing that just now. It still will be quite a large scenario, but hopefully not something that will take an hour for each turn. And as was suggested earlier, I have already added traits to the orc guards in the latest SVN version :-)
Cool, I'm happy you used my suggestion!

Maybe slightly reducing the size of the orc-keeps, forcing them to recruit a bit slower, might help speeding up the scenario. As far as I remember, much of the time there were many more orcs on the map than could actually reach battle. If they had been recruited 2-3 rounds later, no one would have noticed. But the CPU would have had much less to do.

When I played this scenario (ver.1.2.4), the southern keep (elves) was never attacked by the orcs. Of course, the forests are the worst place for orcs to fight, so it probably was a wise decision. But is this AI-behavior intended?

It would be a great strategic challenge, if the orcs could wisely change their preferred direction of attack every now and then. E.g. after most of my elves moved to save the dwarves, the orcs could easily have overrun the southern keep. As the orcs are in the center, they can always choose where they want to fight. Currently they are wasting this advantage a bit, but maybe making the AI behave differently is too much of a hassle...

Anyway, it's already a great scenario as it is!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I was wondering, is there any particular reason you have not added Ruffians (L0 outlwas) to the recruit list in the first scenario for BFW 1.3.x mainline branch? I think they'd do good consistency, as you can recruit L1 outlaws in the next scenario.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Angry Anderson wrote: For defending the northern keep it might even be advantageous to let the drake die. Trolls can take much more heavy punishment in mountains and hills than drakes...
Depends on your personal taste I guess. I myself just think drakes are just plain cool, and to be honest that was the primary reason why I added them to this campaign. Besides, you don't often get a chance to play them on single player. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Northern Rebirth is currently the only mainline campaign in which you can play them - even if they are not the featured race...
Cool, I'm happy you used my suggestion!
Yes, thank you for making it :-)
Maybe slightly reducing the size of the orc-keeps, forcing them to recruit a bit slower, might help speeding up the scenario. As far as I remember, much of the time there were many more orcs on the map than could actually reach battle. If they had been recruited 2-3 rounds later, no one would have noticed. But the CPU would have had much less to do.
Another good suggestion. I'll definitely keep it in mind.
When I played this scenario (ver.1.2.4), the southern keep (elves) was never attacked by the orcs. Of course, the forests are the worst place for orcs to fight, so it probably was a wise decision. But is this AI-behavior intended?
Since then I messed around with the AI a bit, so the orcish attacks should be pretty much balanced to the relative strength of all the different forces surrounding them. Of course, it still probably needs a bit of tweaking....
It would be a great strategic challenge, if the orcs could wisely change their preferred direction of attack every now and then. E.g. after most of my elves moved to save the dwarves, the orcs could easily have overrun the southern keep. As the orcs are in the center, they can always choose where they want to fight. Currently they are wasting this advantage a bit, but maybe making the AI behave differently is too much of a hassle...
If the AI was that smart, they would have a whole lot less gold to start with - making it a different ball game entirely. But, now that I think if it, it may be possible to do something like this using WML.... Well, once again, you got me thinking. Thanks for al your great suggestions.
Anyway, it's already a great scenario as it is!
Shadow Master wrote:I was wondering, is there any particular reason you have not added Ruffians (L0 outlwas) to the recruit list in the first scenario for BFW 1.3.x mainline branch? I think they'd do good consistency, as you can recruit L1 outlaws in the next scenario.
Yes, the main reason is because Ruffians in the first scenario doesn't quite fit into the story-line. Take a look at the beginning dialogue in 'Infested Caves' and you can see where the outlaws come from.

garak

Post by garak »

First I have to say I like the big battles in the campaign and the persuit is simply great.
Differnces between 1.2.4. and 1.3.4
You cannot level about the outlaws to level3 :( That makes it more difficult
There is a big change in the map for the second scenario.actually i found it more interesting in 1.2.4 and it is more difficult to find the dwarves :( .but still it is very nice.
stolen gold
that the drakes now come to the mountains that is much better :D ,than before.

Another point is ,if you level up the mage in a mage of light and he dies he is again only a white mage :( .maybe you let him be a graet mage :D
In the last scenario the orcs attacking mainly the dwarves and not the elfs or the humans so it is easy to get in the castle. and kill the leaders,actually i kill the main leader (i forget the name) first and the scenario wasnt finished is this your intention?

also i found the picture of tallin better than now. He looked more like a rebel ,but that is just my personal taste.
BTW the second branch will be finished soon? I am very interested what is going on if Tallin goes bad
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hey Garak, I'm glad you like the campaign :-)
garak wrote: Another point is ,if you level up the mage in a mage of light and he dies he is again only a white mage :( .maybe you let him be a graet mage :D
Yeah, it is intentional he or she goes back to being a white mage. There has to be some sort of penalty for them dying!
In the last scenario the orcs attacking mainly the dwarves and not the elfs or the humans so it is easy to get in the castle. and kill the leaders,actually i kill the main leader (i forget the name) first and the scenario wasnt finished is this your intention?
The main objective is to kill Rahshas -yes. The other guys are just his croonies. However, it should by no means be easy... I'll have to check over it.
also i found the picture of tallin better than now. He looked more like a rebel ,but that is just my personal taste.
I more or less agree with you. However, the older image was not Wesnoth specific while this one is. With Northern Rebirth now in the mainline, I think it is pretty important that his portriat should be original.
BTW the second branch will be finished soon? I am very interested what is going on if Tallin goes bad
It is about halfway finished but still in progress. I am currently foccusing on getting the existing scenarios balanced, so work on that branch has slowed down a bit. So, to be bluntly honest and frank... it may be a bit of a wait - but it will happen so don't worry :-)

simira

Post by simira »

I just had a curious bug. I think it is, at least. From the scenario "Into the Dephts", the game becomes extreemly slow. It happens when the other side(s) are done and it's my turn. Even though my units have "turned green", the game seems to hang up for a minute or so, before I can do anything.
Loading also takes amounts of time.

Also next, in the "Vengeance" scenario, when I want to recall units, I get 12x of every single unit I ever recruited... Including the mage Hylas. Of course, if I could bear with the time, a scenario with 12 Hylases could be fun, but...

Any ideas about what might have gone wrong?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Are you sure you have the right campaign - "Northern Rebirth" because there is no 'Into the Depths' or 'Vengence' scenarios, or mages named Hylases in this campaign...