Delfador's Memoirs

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pewskeepski

Re: Delfador's Memoirs

Post by Pewskeepski »

I have 'improved' face of the enemy. I'm not this campaigns maintainer, But I really thought this scenario was, To easy, and Boring so I made a 'Better' version, (Better IMO) And I realized that a lot of other people thought the same way I did, So I've decided to share it with you all!

The changes made were...
1: Shroud was placed over the fog
2: The objectives begin as "Retrive the book of Crelanu"
3: Enemy units have been placed around the map, They change with difficulties like so..

Easy: Skeletons and Archers
Normal: Revenants and Bone Shooters
Hard: Draugs, Deathblades and Banebows (Having just draugs was to hard)

4: There are 2 doors to Sagus' chamber, And to open them you must trigger 4 locks which are scattered across the dungeon.
5: Sagus dosn't speak until you've sighted him

Note: It's for 1.8.x, I was going to make it for 1.9.x but I didn't have any saved games on that version, And I don't feel like playing through the long campaign.

Enjoy! :D
http://download308.mediafire.com/34nrx1 ... _Enemy.cfg
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Its been almost a week since I released the scenario, So what do you think? Was there anything that you liked? Anything you didn't?
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I noticed something about this campaign which I couldn't put in a scenario review because it has something to do with the whole campaign: The flag variants change a lot. One minute, Delfador has the loyalists flag, and the next minute he has normal, and then a little later, long flags.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Pewskeepski wrote:Its been almost a week since I released the scenario, So what do you think? Was there anything that you liked? Anything you didn't?
The file you offer above does not have any of the features. Have you uploaded the wrong version?
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Woops, I guess so. Try these instead. If they don't work on 1.9.5, try running them on 1.9.4.
Attachments
22_Face_of_the_Enemy.map
Map file
(11.81 KiB) Downloaded 1048 times
22_Face_of_the_Enemy.cfg
Scenario file
(16.16 KiB) Downloaded 837 times
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Am I the only one who thinks this should be a beginner scenario? I found it much easier than Heir to the Throne on normal (I HATE VALLEY OF THE DEAD), and some levels are just amazingly easy.

Story wise I found it more engaging than HTT though not all the way through it, and like HTT it introduces you to a variety of factions.

Just my 2 cents
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

I have a few issues with 19 Showdown in the Northern Swamp (and also 10 The Gate Between Worlds).
  • Storywise, it doesn't make sense why Delfador should have a "spell [he has] specially crafted to the task" of killing Iliah-Malal only if there are no undead veterans.
  • Since the scenario is unwinnable if the last undead veteran is destroyed, there should be a scenario objective note and a result=defeat condition in the WML.
  • The entire alternate victory condition for winning scenario 19 if Delfador has no undead veterans at the start of the scenario should be scrapped. Currently, the only way this can happen (after the bug was fixed) is for the player to win scenario 10 with only Delfador alive at the end of the scenario. I don't think this is likely to happen, but, as an easter egg, perhaps some undead could offer to join Delfador if the player has no undead units. Then, remove the undead veterans check from Scenario 19, leaving only the intended method of victory: killing Iliah-Malal with an undead unit.
dabber

Post by dabber »

3 years since anyone has commented on this campaign?!? Does that mean making any changes is a mistake? Personally this is likely my favorite campaign (Northern Rebirth would be my other favorite, but for very different reasons).

Improvement ideas:
* 19 Showdown in the Northern Swamp - needs improved defeat/victory conditions based upon needing undead.
* 14 Shadows - has Delfador join Kalenz. But Delfador's human troops are conjured out of nowhere, instead of being brought from the Ford of Parthyn. Then those human troops are arbitrarily disappeared at the end of 15 Save the King. That has always annoyed me.
* 15 Save the King - Zorlan is described as a supreme Orc leader, but he's nothing special. He is the first enemy you run over, his troops are nothing special, and the other enemies don't care when he dies. I feel he should be emphasized more.
* 20, 21, 22 - need some inspiration. I need to look at Pewskeepski's version of 21 Clash at the Manor, as it sounds like it would help. Generally the last 3 scenarios feel tacked on and need more plot/complexity.
* Generally making the campaign harder, at least on HARD. Some people have commented that the campaign is easy, and I certainly find it to be easy. But I'm regularly obsessed with marking HARD harder, so I could be wrong.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

dabber wrote:3 years since anyone has commented on this campaign?!? Does that mean making any changes is a mistake? Personally this is likely my favorite campaign (Northern Rebirth would be my other favorite, but for very different reasons).

Improvement ideas:
* 19 Showdown in the Northern Swamp - needs improved defeat/victory conditions based upon needing undead.
Fixed in 1.13.1+dev.

I think it might be a good idea to change what happens if Delfador starts with no undead (it is an alternative, inconsistent timeline to how Iliah-Malal is defeated when Delfador starts with undead). Perhaps loyal wraith(s) join Delfador at the start of the scenario if Delfador starts with no undead?
Dronal-d

Post by Dronal-d »

Hi.

I would have preferred to ask if this is ok/warranted before posting, but I literally do not have time to wait for a reply before getting on a plane without this computer.

I've done a few sketches that could be used for Delfador's memoirs story art.
The idea behind these is that Delfador himself has sketched them into his diary.
I'm posting png's with transparent backgrounds. If anyone out there would like to add a nice old paper background to them, I think they could look pretty decent... or better than nothing.
Spoiler:
The Failing Line UMC
Dronal-d

Post by Dronal-d »

Alternative of the above dwarven fella.
dwarves.png
iliah-swamp.png
With the portal closed, Iliah-Malal was weakened. He retreated into the Swamp of Dread to recover his strength and attempt another conjuration. Delfador’s troop, hurrying west by secret Dwarvish ways and stealthily crossing the Listra by night, found the necromancer there, on the brink of raising another army amidst the fetid reek."

I'm really missing the final panel, with the mage academy. Maybe in another lifetime.
The Failing Line UMC