Intelligent troll leader wesnoth (Campaign planning)

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JustNatan

Intelligent troll leader wesnoth (Campaign planning)

Post by JustNatan »

Not sure if this is the right here, but we will see..
[This will include spoilers for the campaign I am currently developing]

I am currently writing a campaign in my semester break. I will present the story now and hope for feedback how wesnothian it is and where I might add some lore nuggets or should change some aspects to make it fit the lore better:

-Wesnoth north border-
1. The main leader/character C is just a soldier amongst many patrolling the north border of wesnoth, fighting goblins and orks who haven't learned their lesson yet. After fighting off a larger group of invaders he and his friend F gain rank (prob Sergeant) and become minor troop leaders.
2. Orcs appear near the north wall and weapons are readied. C will be in control of a few units (his friend, too). After some time the orcs will retreat. The leader of border control will then send a troop after the fleeing orcs and after some talking the friend will be sent, leaving C with nothing to do but waiting and training swordsmanship and walking around in the cold waiting for something interesting to happen.
3. The troop doesn't return and the leader of border control says that soon he will send C as well to look after the first troop. Before he puts his decision into action F appears, but heavily damaged and bleeding from many wounds. But he's not alone. A troll army is holding him captive. He tries to speak up, but is harshly silenced by the oldest troll mankind has seen: "I’m Grolloliga, Leader of the trolls, Ruler of the elements earth and fire, Conqueror of the roll of invincibility and soon avenger of Krallukutz, the peaceful village your men have destroyed so carelessly. Even slaughtered the younglings. PFAT! he spits out
You remember your man? He told us he was sent by you!" The leader tries to negotiate, not understanding why the troll village was attacked, but Grolloliga is not in the mood: "ENOUGH! There’s a time for talking, but you missed it." He releases F, telling him to run as fast as he can only then to send a fireball after him. The fireball hits heavily and kills F halfway. The battle begins and the leader of border control does many bad moves and the battle is clearly lost. Eventually he gets killed and with all other rank-higher already dead C takes control and blows to flight. The quick escape is not likely to save everyone, but only few indeed. Anyway, the white mage (server of the former border control leader) has to survive for the story to work. Without him there's no hope for our protagonist.
4. The Trolls are not that interested in the fleeing party, but Grolloliga announces that this was only the beginning. Soon all wesnoth shall fall for humans have taken it too far. He will no longer allow the fast-mortals to hold them down. He sends one of his troop leaders after C and heads to the capital of wesnoth
5. Fleeing C soon notices that the hilly track is slowing them down, giving the trolls enough time to catch up. It doesn't look too bad, but the castle, they hoped to find refugee in, is now in hands of orcs. So they find themselves between to brutal enemies. The orcish leader can be convinced that the trolls will not only kill the humans, but them as well and therefore refrains from attacking the human party. Anyway, he still doesn't trust them and forbids passage. After some fighting the only escape seems to be the dwarfish ruins. Depending on some decisions a few of the orcish soldiers will join them.
6. The trolls are eager to slay C and will not rest until the deed is done. They follow C into the cave and C has to find a way through the deadly labyrinth. He can make great use of his white mage who knows a helpful spell or two. In the end they find the mushroom-fond dwarfs. They left the mountain keep, because of the rough neighbours and decided to live underground. There are two roads leading from here, but the grey mage - quite surprised - can't follow them on the fastest road possible! The dwarfs explain that a strong antimagician has created this protection for them and that those of magic power can't cross it. The grey mage thinks that might be great aid against Grolloliga and suggests that he takes the slower path which also - conveniently - leads to the home of the antimage A.
If the orcs joined with the humans the dwarfs will not grant safe passage unless the orcs be slaughtered by C. He can also fight the dwarfs instead which will probably lead to his inevitable death. It's still possible for him to reach the slow path
7. [Quick path] Through orcish territory C must go and he will with ease if he still has orcish companions, but it will be tough without them. Some of the orcs pretend to be nice and offer C to drop their weapons and pass them without harm, since they have heard about the troll and are afraid as well. But they betray the humans attacking them without second thought as soon as they have left their weapons behind. When C wins and "kills" their leader, the leader begs for mercy and the player might grant it.
8. [Slow path] Grey Mage meets the antimage who is willing to help them against a small fee (not so small tbh). They have to pass through elvish territory and the elves are not very fond of the antimage and declare that they will not help the humans and will even attack them if they get close to their forest. There's a way without walking through the forest, but other habitual enemies will bring some fun.
9. Attack of a large city Grolloliga cannot be stopped, summons earth elementals and the city falls very quickly. The player can rescue some folk which will then be of use in a later scenario. The player can also reduce Grolloliga's Gold for the following scenarios by surviving longer. Grolloliga tells the player more of the troll culture, that they are a oh so peaceful species, but that orcs and humans have suppressed them far too long. Trolls aren't stupid, they just think slowly he insists.
10. Attack of large city2 Grolloliga cannot be stopped, summons earth elementals or fireballs (switching each turn) and the city falls pretty quickly. The player can rescue... When the situation looks bad the dwarfs appear being of great aid and delivering pieces of the antimagical runestone, that might be of use against Grolloliga.
11. Attack of the capital of wesnoth. Grolloliga is on fire and after a few turns walks straight to the king in the intend to kill him. A sheer force that cannot be stopped! The player has to actively think alot to win, because Grolloliga cannot be killed. He is truly immortal. Only if he combines the antimage's power, the strength of the dwarfs and their mysterious stones and his gathered forces he will be able to be victorious.
If the player has granted mercy to the orcish leader he will appear with a bunch of his people and rob the treasury during the battle.
12. If the player succeeds he will hear the whole story from Grolloliga's perspective and there might even be a peaceful option.

As you might noticed I started to write shorter descriptions in the later parts since they aren't defined completely yet. Also I have to take the train now :) I am interested in your feedback and ideas.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Intelligent troll leader wesnoth (Campaign planning)

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello!
He releases F, telling him to run as fast as he can only then to send a fireball after him. The fireball hits heavily and kills F halfway.
Thank you for the Game of Thrones reference! :P

I really like the premise of your story and your proposed mechanics for the main antagonist which is an pre-historic troll. I do enjoy the feel of Trolls deciding to switch on their rampage mode after being oppressed and tricked by the humans and orcs.
What are the large cities in question, though? I know the final battle would take place in Weldyn, and I assume the other ones are Dan-Tonk and Dwarven Doors? Or, are they cities belonging to other factions?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

A bit off-topic from me, but I always liked the troll-addon campaign about Grog. Would
be nice if something like this could be extended and get included into the official
lore one day. Long live Grog! (I think that was his name right? I am getting sooo forgetful)
egallager

Post by egallager »

shevegen wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:44 pm A bit off-topic from me, but I always liked the troll-addon campaign about Grog. Would
be nice if something like this could be extended and get included into the official
lore one day. Long live Grog! (I think that was his name right? I am getting sooo forgetful)
The main problem is that Grog's campaign assumes you sided with the trolls in UtBS, whereas IftU (another popular campaign that many people also want included in the official lore) assumes you sided with the dwarves. So getting one included in the official lore would mean a fight with the other...