Crelanu (Canon Infos)

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

s1m0n

Crelanu (Canon Infos)

Post by s1m0n »

Hello fellow forists,

I am currently working on a campaign where you will first play as outlaws, but later your leader will become a mage. As I think the figure Crelanu is really interesting, I thought about modifying my story so it fits to Crelanu. Is there any "Canon"/Mainline information about Crelanu? If yes, please write it down below, if not, then I will go wild :mrgreen:

Any feedback will be appreciated!

s1m0n
eh, what comes here again?
s1m0n

Re: Crelanu (Canon Infos)

Post by s1m0n »

s1m0n1nl33t wrote: July 31st, 2020, 7:20 pm Is there any "Canon"/Mainline information about Crelanu? If yes, please write it down below, if not, then I will go wild :mrgreen:
Also anything which isn't clearly said but could possibly be (for example does a magician exist, who has about the age so that he could be Crelanu's Mentor, even if this isn't told anywhere that Crelanu learned from him)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

s1m0n wrote: July 31st, 2020, 7:40 pm
s1m0n1nl33t wrote: July 31st, 2020, 7:20 pm Is there any "Canon"/Mainline information about Crelanu? If yes, please write it down below, if not, then I will go wild :mrgreen:
Also anything which isn't clearly said but could possibly be (for example does a magician exist, who has about the age so that he could be Crelanu's Mentor, even if this isn't told anywhere that Crelanu learned from him)
Not sure you're still planning that campaign (it's been a few months since your message ^^''), but here's what I can remember about Crelanu:
- In mainline, he appears both in Legend of Wesmere and Secrets of the Ancients;
- He's already quite old in the early years of Wesnoth, so one must assume he came from the Green Isle along with Haldric (and spent his youth there).
- He's a very powerful mage, and wrote a book with all the spells he knows. Said book is rumoured to contain extremely powerful magic, and for years he was attacked by those who would seize it (until he gave the book to Kalenz and his elves for keeping).
- He survives both those campaigns, so if yours is set after them, he could easily feature (though, again, he'd be quite old).
- He was Haldric I's friend, but was banished from Wesnoth by him; Crelanu claims Haldric was already corrupted by the Ruby of Fire then.
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
egallager

Post by egallager »

revansurik wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 7:43 am
Not sure you're still planning that campaign (it's been a few months since your message ^^''), but here's what I can remember about Crelanu:
- In mainline, he appears both in Legend of Wesmere and Secrets of the Ancients;
- He's already quite old in the early years of Wesnoth, so one must assume he came from the Green Isle along with Haldric (and spent his youth there).
- He's a very powerful mage, and wrote a book with all the spells he knows. Said book is rumoured to contain extremely powerful magic, and for years he was attacked by those who would seize it (until he gave the book to Kalenz and his elves for keeping).
- He survives both those campaigns, so if yours is set after them, he could easily feature (though, again, he'd be quite old).
- He was Haldric I's friend, but was banished from Wesnoth by him; Crelanu claims Haldric was already corrupted by the Ruby of Fire then.
I always thought it was weird how he was a "very powerful mage" as described by the lore, but then when he actually appears in Legend of Wesmere, as a unit and side commander, he's actually rather weak, in gameplay terms...
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

About Crelanu, I once made a campaign around 10 years ago about him. This is the thread.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

egallager wrote: February 24th, 2021, 11:55 am I always thought it was weird how he was a "very powerful mage" as described by the lore, but then when he actually appears in Legend of Wesmere, as a unit and side commander, he's actually rather weak, in gameplay terms...
That's an issue in most Wesnoth campaigns, I'd say. Take Kalenz: a legendary, centuries-old elvish lord, who is just like any other lvl 3 elvish lord in terms of attacks and powers. Or Delfador: a legendary human mage, arguably the greatest in Wesnothian history, yet he's weaker than a standard lvl 4 Great Mage (granted, he's also quite old so you can argue he's past his prime).
Sure, a hero unit doesn't need be much more powerful than standard units, but it's weird how a lot of heroes in campaigns are exactly like any standard unit of the same type and level. Like, give Gweddry a "mentor" ability once he reaches lvl 4 (like Garak in UtBS), or give Crelanu abilities such as leadership or heal or illuminate... Anything that sets these supposedly exceptionally powerful individuals apart.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

revansurik wrote: February 24th, 2021, 4:43 pmThat's an issue in most Wesnoth campaigns, I'd say. Take Kalenz: a legendary, centuries-old elvish lord, who is just like any other lvl 3 elvish lord in terms of attacks and powers. Or Delfador: a legendary human mage, arguably the greatest in Wesnothian history, yet he's weaker than a standard lvl 4 Great Mage (granted, he's also quite old so you can argue he's past his prime).
Sure, a hero unit doesn't need be much more powerful than standard units, but it's weird how a lot of heroes in campaigns are exactly like any standard unit of the same type and level. Like, give Gweddry a "mentor" ability once he reaches lvl 4 (like Garak in UtBS), or give Crelanu abilities such as leadership or heal or illuminate... Anything that sets these supposedly exceptionally powerful individuals apart.
For the most part, I agree with you, particularly about Kalenz. Delfador on the other hand is quite a powerful unit in his own campaign (when he is in his prime), as a level 4 Great Mage with lightning strikes, and quite a surprising about of damage-dealing with his melee staff! As for Gweddry -- as a character -- I think what sets him apart is the actions he takes from a story perspective, but beyond that, he's an ordinary military leader who's doing his duty. It's something I find rather compelling about Eastern Invasion; that he's not the standard hero-type, and is instead a more normal person. Sceptre of Fire and The Hammer of Thursagan are the same way.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Pewskeepski wrote: February 26th, 2021, 4:20 pm As for Gweddry -- as a character -- I think what sets him apart is the actions he takes from a story perspective, but beyond that, he's an ordinary military leader who's doing his duty. It's something I find rather compelling about Eastern Invasion; that he's not the standard hero-type, and is instead a more normal person. Sceptre of Fire and The Hammer of Thursagan are the same way.
Fair point. Though I must say SoF and THoT have the weakest protagonists by far imo xP At least Thursagan and Durstorn make SoF interesting, but Rugnur feels like just an excuse for the player to have a way of recruiting units.

;-)
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

revansurik wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 7:43 am
Well, I've been away from both building and playing for bit over half a year now :whistle: , but I've had fresh ideas and motivation to get working again! What you wrote down is mostly the information from the campaigns, I guess.. Doesn't fit though, so I might have to think of another way of binding my campaign to the "canon"
Thanks though :D

s1m0n
MasterCookieShadow

Post by MasterCookieShadow »

It's cool this idea of ​​outlaws becoming mages, although whenever I think about it I just don't fit one thing with another... I mean, the best as long as I've had with it were the shadow mages in the "Liberty" campaign. Their concept is really cool, however, if I could pick one type of mage to have in an army, it would be the shadow mages.
"if I had a nickel for every time I spawn a dragon in the final boss, I'd have two nickels - which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice."

"Plz dont do it"
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

s1m0n wrote: July 31st, 2020, 7:20 pm Hello fellow forists,

I am currently working on a campaign where you will first play as outlaws, but later your leader will become a mage. As I think the figure Crelanu is really interesting, I thought about modifying my story so it fits to Crelanu. Is there any "Canon"/Mainline information about Crelanu? If yes, please write it down below, if not, then I will go wild :mrgreen:

Any feedback will be appreciated!

s1m0n
Long time ago existed a campaning called "Tale of Cleranu" but is no longer available and I don't know almost anything about beacuse I didn't had possibility to play. He appears in "Legend of Wesmere" and "Secrets of the Ancients" in the second a certain logic hole arises, how could an exiled mage come into contact with an army of loyalists?
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Gothyoba

Post by Gothyoba »

holypaladin wrote: July 19th, 2023, 8:00 pm Long time ago existed a campaning called "Tale of Cleranu" but is no longer available and I don't know almost anything about beacuse I didn't had possibility to play.
You can still get add-ons for old versions on the website if you want: https://add-ons.wesnoth.org/

The old Wesnoth versions required are on sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/files/wesnoth/
Whitefang Orc