Dunefolk Lore - Consolidation

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ghype

Re: Dunefolk Lore - Consolidation

Post by ghype »

Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote: May 16th, 2020, 10:19 am I'm not opposed to the Dunefolk being given a unique and interesting backstory explaining why they came to the Great Continent. But I don't think it's something that needs to be done, and I think focusing on that would be a mistake when there's so much to be done to flesh out their present, and create campaigns that tie them to the main Wesnoth timeline on the Great Continent.
I can see that some share similar thoughts on that. I just provided thoughts on the possible event that it may be required by Yumi at some point. If that happens it would be good to have good options.

Eitherway, not explaining where they come from is also a good way to go for me. We could ignore the emigration part from where ever they may have come. But the backstory with the war and magic runes and alliances with trolls is something I would consider an "interesting backstory".
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

ghype wrote: May 17th, 2020, 8:10 pm Eitherway, not explaining where they come from is also a good way to go for me. We could ignore the emigration part from where ever they may have come. But the backstory with the war and magic runes and alliances with trolls is something I would consider an "interesting backstory".
Oh yeah, I like the war/magic runes/troll alliance stuff - I just think it could be even better if it was, rather than an ancient backstory, a narrative that took place during the main Wesnoth 'era' on the Great Continent. Why bring in the athvari as a new faction, when you could use dwarves - possibly a kingdom founded by Burin the Lost, the explorer dwarf from TRoW - to connect the Dunefolk to the pre-existing setting?
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote: May 19th, 2020, 2:06 pm Oh yeah, I like the war/magic runes/troll alliance stuff - I just think it could be even better if it was, rather than an ancient backstory, a narrative that took place during the main Wesnoth 'era' on the Great Continent. Why bring in the athvari as a new faction, when you could use dwarves - possibly a kingdom founded by Burin the Lost, the explorer dwarf from TRoW - to connect the Dunefolk to the pre-existing setting?
I have to go back and see what Skeptical_Troll wrote regarding his dwarf backstory, but if we find a middle way I would be up for that.
I ma just not good at judging wether have references to Burin The Lost would make the world we are creating smaller or more cohesive?

(1) "The Athvari" currently is just a place hold name
(2) "The Athvari" supposedly are just a subfaction rather then a completly new faction. Like a campaign exclusive new faction which still would be labeled as Dunefolk-Race if they were ever to appear in-game
HonzaCZ

OOGORPGLREŮYGVQH

Post by HonzaCZ »

Just make them nomadic tribes that were sparse and fighting between eachother so they had no time to make relations with other factions
ghype

Re: OOGORPGLREŮYGVQH

Post by ghype »

HonzaCZ wrote: August 6th, 2020, 9:44 am Just make them nomadic tribes that were sparse and fighting between eachother so they had no time to make relations with other factions
The richer and exciting the lore is the better it is to develop a good (mainline) campaign for them. So it is not just as easy as that.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Hello everyone, hope you're well!

So some time passed and many things have changed. Some things that were planned are no longer going to happen, while other things no one expected will happen.

In order to finally conclude this topic, I revised most of this thread content into this new thread. Hope too see you in the new thread.
Here is a link:

Dunefolk Lore - Revised