tfw to stupid to get the plot of the battle for wesnoth

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GiletteAbdi

tfw to stupid to get the plot of the battle for wesnoth

Post by GiletteAbdi »

So I recently started playing this game again, and there are a few things about the story, which I don't get.

Where does the great river emerge?

What happened to the Green Island after Haldric I left, did the Orcs stay on the Island or did they went to Wesnoth after him?

What happened to the old continent, where Humans come from?

Where do draws come from?
It's said that they emerged from caves, but those caves must start somewhere, or did the draws evolve in the caves?

How is it possible to have cities etc. in caves?
Where do the food and oxygen comes from, and why didn't the elves genocide the draws by flooding the caves or making a fire and sufficate the draws?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: tfw to stupid to get the plot of the battle for wesnoth

Post by octalot »

A lot of these aren't known in the canon yet. The campaigns are stories set in a world, but it's a world that's growing with the stories and it's one where each chapter of each story tends to introduce a new area without explaining that area's mysteries. It's also a world where UMC (user-made content), while non-canon, can shape the world and even become canon.

The dwarvish cave systems are huge and have many entrances, but how they do ventilation isn't yet explained, AFAIK.

I'd guess that some of the orcs stayed on the Green Isle, and that their population expanded afterwards until a yet-to-be-written story happens.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

You're not stupid, some particular plots are purposely left unresolved to maintain some mystery or simply because they are not the focus of the campaign. So many things are speculative.
GiletteAbdi wrote: March 30th, 2019, 2:38 pm Where does the great river emerge?
Its springs are outside of the geographical area campaigns are usually set. Someone tried to expand the map, they made it emerge from a massive lake in the middle of the Great Continent. But that's not canon so it's up to you to decide if it suits you.
GiletteAbdi wrote: March 30th, 2019, 2:38 pm What happened to the Green Island after Haldric I left, did the Orcs stay on the Island or did they went to Wesnoth after him?
Many Orcs - under Jevyan's rule - indeed followed Haldric to the Great Continent, but I expect some to have extablished themselves on the island. It would be interesting to see how they have fared in all these years. Then, the fate of the remaining Lich Lords is unknown, and some Wesfolk could even be still on the island, maybe hiding or settled in more defensive regions of the island.
It also depends whether the Lich Lords' portals are still active or not. If they are, who knows how many Orcs and other unknown species might have migrated on the isle from the west. Or if Drakes from subsiding isles could have resettled there. The possibilities are many and very intriguing.
GiletteAbdi wrote: March 30th, 2019, 2:38 pm What happened to the old continent, where Humans come from?
A big, scary war happened for sure - a sizeable population of humans and even the Lich Lords fled from there - but the combatants are otherwise unknown. Who knows what kind of horrors belong there.
GiletteAbdi wrote: March 30th, 2019, 2:38 pm Where do draws come from?
It's said that they emerged from caves, but those caves must start somewhere, or did the draws evolve in the caves?
It is impossible to draw in a Wesnoth match, maybe if the players both concede a case could be made but still techn- oh, right.
Dwarves did indeed emerge from far below underground, but their early history is otherwise unknown. While it's fun to speculate, maybe their origin should be of no concern if we consider the modern Dwarves, since I expect them to have quite evolved from their ultra-deep first days (if not, I'd expect them to be chaotic and to fear sunlight). Maybe they were born in the planet core (this is if we consider Idrya to be a normal planet)?
GiletteAbdi wrote: March 30th, 2019, 2:38 pm How is it possible to have cities etc. in caves?
Where do the food and oxygen comes from, and why didn't the elves genocide the draws by flooding the caves or making a fire and sufficate the draws?
Dwarves are accustomed to that, they were born in caves. Cities underground are easy if you are built to live in caves.
It is known that many underground races (Dwarves and Trolls), and even some surface-dwellers (if I remember correctly Drakes and Saurians) farm mushrooms for food, so there's that. And in my headcanon I think Dwarves are willing to trade with nearby humans for "exotic" food from the surface.
Oxygen could be provided by ventilation vents (oxygen is heavier than air so it descend into the cavesystem), or - given their extreme-depth origin - maybe they don't breath oxygen at all, but some other - even heavier - gas (extreme hypotesis, symbiotic fungi expell the breathable gas :augh: ).
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Xalzar wrote: March 30th, 2019, 9:24 pm Oxygen could be provided by ventilation vents (oxygen is heavier than air so it descend into the cavesystem), or - given their extreme-depth origin - maybe they don't breath oxygen at all, but some other - even heavier - gas (extreme hypotesis, symbiotic fungi expell the breathable gas :augh: ).
So that's why the sprite of Gryphon Master has scuba tanks on the rider's back... :whistle:
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

josteph wrote: March 31st, 2019, 6:55 pm
Xalzar wrote: March 30th, 2019, 9:24 pm Oxygen could be provided by ventilation vents (oxygen is heavier than air so it descend into the cavesystem), or - given their extreme-depth origin - maybe they don't breath oxygen at all, but some other - even heavier - gas (extreme hypotesis, symbiotic fungi expell the breathable gas :augh: ).
So that's why the sprite of Gryphon Master has scuba tanks on the rider's back... :whistle:
They are under the saddle obviously... :P
Also, bout the second hypothesis, by "symbiotic fungi" I don't necessarily mean independent cave mushrooms, they could also grow on Dwarven skin or in their beard - I mean, Dwarves could be as exotic as we want and not necessarily carbon copies of Humans. Maybe they don't need tanks since they can store massive quantities of air in their lungs! Possibilities are endless... :hmm:

Though the most important thing is: I was just speculating - a bit jokingly ^_^ - about such obscure and negligible aspect of Dwarven physiology. :lol:
No pretense of dictating canon lore! :roll:
That being said, if we ever feel the need to adress this matter, who knows what solution could we conjure...maybe then my crackpot theories could be the sanest among them. :twisted:
GiletteAbdi

Post by GiletteAbdi »

Thank you for the answer.
When it comes to draws, Mushrooms don't have enough protein to feed them(have you seen the muscles, that draws and Trolls have? You don't get this gains from eating mushrooms), so I assume the live of fish living in underground seas.
In "Under burning Suns" the Draws and Trolls claim to live off rivers.
In "Rebirth of the North" the draws do normal agriculture.

I have the following theories to the oxygen:
Theory one:
Many caves in the game have illuminated places, where algae or a strange version of cyan bacteria can grow and produce it.

Theory two:
living crystals
So this one is a little bit of, but I read about bacteria which has a stone surface.
There could be crystals/stones that live of either heat or magic, grow and turn CO2 into oxygen .
The stones might actually be eatable.

Draws could also have evolved in mountains of a different continents and then moved to the caves, that's why they have the biggest bonus in mountains.