Saurian genders

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Gnat

Re: Saurian genders

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 29th, 2019, 2:27 am Um, sorry, what the heck? I can't see any reason why you'd believe that nagas resemble merfolk more than saurians. In fact, I don't think they have much in common with merfolk at all? I mean, yes, they're aquatic like the merfolk, but that's the only common point I can think of.
Hi :) I don't mean to interject but the Naga race doesn't have to resemble another race. I think we all agree that Saurians are like lizards and that merman are like water-humans. IMO Naga didn't evolve from lizards or humans because neither it similar enough for that to make sense. In fact I don't know whether macro-evolution is even canon in wesnoth? The other option I would guess is inter-breeding but I don't think lizard-human offspring is even possible :P . Because of that I would have guessed that Naga was just a unique race.

I will note, however, that you mention "resemble", and in that case you could argue that while not necessarily related they do "look" more like lizards because mermen have fish tails and human heads and Naga have reptilian heads and snake tails.
ghype

Post by ghype »

i was thinking of some of these points myself, I was just curious to see if there is any chance my initial thoughts would find some validation.

I guess this case can be closed now.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Well, I never said they particularly resemble saurians, only that if you had to choose which of merfolk and saurians they resemble more, it'd be obviously saurians.

Yeah, saurians are like lizards... and naga are like snakes, so there's that obvious connection with both being reptilian.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 30th, 2019, 12:19 am Well, I never said they particularly resemble saurians, only that if you had to choose which of merfolk and saurians they resemble more, it'd be obviously saurians.
In that case we all seem to agree :)
TeaIntoxicated

Post by TeaIntoxicated »

Uh, so is the only thing preventing us Poles from having proper adjective conjugation for traits and more are technical issues?

At the moment saurian skirmishers have traits like "silny" instead of "silna", the former is used to describe masculine object/person as "strong" while the latter do describe a feminine object/person.
Before actually reading the lore I thought all saurian combat units are male because of said all-male trait conjugation. And it's not like a political issue or anything, we have always conjugated it like that. It's as incorrect grammatically using "she" when referring to Delfador.
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

TeaIntoxicated wrote: November 7th, 2020, 12:55 pm At the moment saurian skirmishers have traits like "silny" instead of "silna", the former is used to describe masculine object/person as "strong" while the latter do describe a feminine object/person.
As of 1.15.6 all saurian traits in polish translation have their proper form. Females are "silna" etc.