Saurian genders

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Imperios

Saurian genders

Post by Imperios »

When did the piece of lore that says saurian society is sex-segregated surface, and why hasn't that been taken into account in official campaigns?

If we go by the lore from the wiki, then the Saurian Skirmisher unit line is all female, while the Saurian Oracle line is all male. However, nowhere in the game is this brought up. Saurians do not even have female names.

I remember that at some point in the game's history, Inarix has been referred to as female in the Russian translation, but in its current version, (s)he's male. Shouldn't there be some consistency?
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Saurian genders

Post by josteph »

The canonical lore is the one in the game itself, in this case, the race description: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... s.cfg#L251

In master, Saurian Skirmishers are female: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... her.cfg#L6 This was changed recently and intentionally not backported to 1.14 to avoid OOS issues.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Regarding the names, I guess saurians just don't have gender-dependent naming conventions - ie, all their names are unisex. Might be a touch strange given the cultural separation of genders, but I don't think it's worth changing it at this point.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

My guess is that no one got around to implementing separate name generators for male and female Saurians.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Probably, but I don't think it's worth changing it at this point.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: January 17th, 2019, 1:19 am Probably, but I don't think it's worth changing it at this point.
Would it be hard to just change the gender of the skirmisher line? Or to add a female name generator into the name.cfg file?

It might not be worth doing because of complications, but it would add to the theme of the Saurians and further help create the thematic story behind the creatures. 8)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

The gender of the skirmisher line was already changed in master. Adding a female name generator is what I don't think is worth doing.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

josteph wrote: January 4th, 2019, 11:03 pm In master, Saurian Skirmishers are female: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... her.cfg#L6 This was changed recently and intentionally not backported to 1.14 to avoid OOS issues.

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: January 17th, 2019, 1:41 pm The gender of the skirmisher line was already changed in master. Adding a female name generator is what I don't think is worth doing.
:) Okay thank you for that clarification, apologies for my lack of reading skill :whistle:

As for the female name generator I can't imagine it matters too much considering that no one really can tell if the name is 'female' or 'male' for the lizards.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Could a simple solution be to give Saurian names a gender prefix or suffix? Something simple, like an A- before male names, and a B- before female names?

I'm not entirely sure how the name generator works.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Something like that would indeed be simple... I still wouldn't bother though.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

If it's simple, why not? It'll add a bit of flavour to the Saurians without taking up as much time as making up a whole new set of names.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

You think it'll add a bit of flavour? I think it'll remove a bit of flavour.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: January 19th, 2019, 4:30 am You think it'll add a bit of flavour? I think it'll remove a bit of flavour.
^_^ A bit blunt, but I guess I see where you are coming from. Assigning gender based names through consonants is fairly basic for any species. Even lizards would probably come up with a better name system then one letter for male another for females...
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

...that's a bit racist and also missing the point. I think not having separate male and female names gives them some flavour in itself.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

The_Gnat wrote: January 19th, 2019, 5:28 am Assigning gender based names through consonants is fairly basic for any species. Even lizards would probably come up with a better name system then one letter for male another for females...
Well, that was an example of how simple it could be, rather than a full suggestion. If you wanted to give it depth, you could come up with a system that has a prefix for one's gender and suffix for one's class, or any other kind of more complex thing.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: January 20th, 2019, 3:39 pm ...that's a bit racist and also missing the point. I think not having separate male and female names gives them some flavour in itself.
That makes sense, but I feel like seeing as there's clearly a gender divide in Saurian society, it would be logical for there to be different names in some way?