Faerie World

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elfarion

Re: Faerie World

Post by Elfarion »

@Dracoc00: In the link that I've posted above, there was a great discussion about the origin of magic. I personally like the theory of spirits immigrating from the Faerie World and animating things (trees to woses, rocks to trolls etc.) Or possessing animals and give them intelligence.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Dracoc00, I think the water spirits you talk about are the Naiads, right?
About the source of magic... My two cents is that all races seem to have the ability of using magic, but what makes each race's magic different from each other is each race's intelligence. I've noticed that the more intelligent a race, the stronger their magic is - for example, human and elven mages are more powerful than troll, orc and saurian mages; merfolk mages are also powerful (a lvl 2 Enchantress can make 28 hp of damage, a human fire mage or an elven sorceress can make 32 and 28 respectively); dwarves are intelligent, but maybe they just don't want to develop their own magic potential (the exception, of course, would be the runesmiths and the witnesses); same goes for the naga; as for ogres, goblins etc, they simply don't have enough intelligence to develop magic powers.
Now, about the actual source of magic, I always thought it stemmed from the soul; see, a lich will retain his powers even if his body has mostly rotten away, since his soul remains intact.
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I also disagree with the idea that the magic comes from the faerie world - it would be irrational, because in that case elves would possess the same magic than humans, and in addition, they would be stronger at it. And it is hard to believe how would black magic come from the fairies - or are there also some Sith faeries ruled by a big ugly badass Emeror fairy?

I agree with revansurik's idea that it might come from the soul. Everyone's soul is related to the place where he/she belongs (and to the place where his/her ancestors belonged), humans see life, fire, lightning and ice, so their magic is related to life (white mage), or to fire (red mage) or to lightning (elder mage) or to ice (northern mages, this is just an idea, I haven't seen them in any campaign, except with snow elves in my campaign, but they were rather a parody to desert elves). Elves come partially from the fairy world, so their magic is related with passages from the other world (faerie fire, as it is described in the F1 help), to the forests they live in and to the fairy world (floating, wings). The world for dwarves is mining, smithing and war, so their magic is related to armed combat (allowing them to craft weapons). Because there is nothing but hatred in the eyes of saurians, their magic is related to cursing. Orcs live in the same locations than humans, so their magic is similar to human magic, just they are not intelligent to use it in most cases.

A lich's soul cannot be intact, because liches tend to be evil and use black magic while normal mages don't - that is maybe because the darkness of undeath has entered their souls, probably they did it in purpose because without it, they would not be able to become liches. Or maybe using some specific kind of magic transforms it's user's soul, and when he is an undead, sentinent living beings are not like him, and he does not feel pain, he will feel things like mercy or empathy much less.
If somebody would like to comment about using logic in fantasy's unrealistic worlds, he should read this:
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

I can't emphasize this often enough: It's an essential aspect of Magic to break rules.

But if Magic comes from the soul how come that there is no world full of Magi?
- Sergej Lukianenko
Dracoc00

Post by Dracoc00 »

I disagree with the idea that the magic comes from the soul, then why can not all be mages, or elves if many do not have the choice to be shamans for example, because not all born with the ability to channeling magic.

The only power that can be said to come from the soul is the light
I have a question about necromancy, necromancers where they get souls, I mean if they are lost souls who were in the world, or take in some world of the dead?
Last edited by Dracoc00 on February 19th, 2013, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am... The divine Wind.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

But if Magic comes from the soul how come that there is no world full of Magi?
Studying magic should require a huge deal of study and concentration, and in a feudal world where a nation's survival depends of carefully grown crops and constant watch over the frontiers, few would be the people with enough time and peace of mind to study magic.
Also, it should be considered that some people may be born with a greater skill in dealing with magic, or with a greater raw magic potential.
EDIT: dracoc00, male elves do practice magic; remember the Elvish High Lords. Mebrin, that elf sae from The South Guard, also practice magic (in his case, dark magic), and was male. Besides, the study of magic could, in some races, be limited to a single gender for cultural reasons. Just like in ancient Scandinavia withcraft was more commonly practised by women, though there were male "magic-users".
Last edited by revansurik on February 19th, 2013, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Elfarion
Revansurik's ideas are good. I imagined the same explanation (independently).

The magical power is not strong if it is not developed by frequent usage. Its use also requires huge knowledge of it, so only people who had meditated about the world for decades can learn it spontaneously. Others have to learn it from those who spent decades figuring it out themselves, or from those who learned it before.

Most people don't need magic, because it is weaker than muscles without decades of practice and study, and they consider it useless. Many of them think they are too dumb to understand it, but the very existence of orcish shamans proves that most humans should be able to learn it as well. If you are a normally intelligent person surrounded by imbeciles, you will think you are a genius and you will think you can figure anything out, but if you are average, you prefer to leave the thinking for those whose intelligence is high above average.

In other worlds, learning to use magic might be easier, like with the fairies who use magic all the time (or maybe for them, it is not magic, just normal stuff?).

@dracoc00
The ability of channeling magic is explained by my 'model of magic'. This magic is related to the very existence of partially faerie beings in this world (elves). Fairies come from another world, and the passage from there imbued their bodies with magic that made their existence in the state they were used to in the human world possible. So, elves are tied to the faerie world, so they can channel the magic from there into the normal world. But elves are able to use also the conventional magic (using the power of their soul), though it is for most of them harder to learn than the one their bodies are imbued with.
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

Dugi wrote:In other worlds, learning to use magic might be easier, like with the fairies who use magic all the time (or maybe for them, it is not magic, just normal stuff?).
Reminds me of the Elves in LotR, who seem to do Magic all the time, but would never call it Magic.
- Sergej Lukianenko
Dracoc00

Post by Dracoc00 »

Is there any example of developing male characters fairy wings? or just unique to women? And that makes me think, all the fairies are female? I mean if male individuals in the race, and if not how they reproduce, because although they are spirits, not live forever or yes?

I got that that many humans do not use magic considering it useless, plus you have to spend ten years of your life training, but do not think for example elves will use that kind of magic, that theirs being given many benefits such as foresight there are some examples of human mages red or white with this capability?
I am... The divine Wind.
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

In Mainline the most Faerie-like Elves are women (shaman line). But there are also men that have a connection to the Faerie-world (Elvish Lords). It's weaker than those of the women though. (Maybe because of their contact with steel?)

As for humans: Maybe someone has the ressources to study Magic (rich/noble ones). Maybe someone shows an extraordinary talent. (I think, this is the most common example. If I was running the school of Alduin, I would offer scholarships for the not-so-rich to prevent them from turning towards the Dark Arts.) Still there's one question that comes to my mind frequently:
Elfarion wrote: - If Elves and Woses have a connection to this world, does it mean, they live in both worlds simultaneously?
- Sergej Lukianenko
Dracoc00

Post by Dracoc00 »

I do not think they live in two worlds at once, for example all the elves have a connection to the fairy world, but they are able to interact with it, then it would be something like that that world energy flows through them elves and Woses for your connection, are related but not quite, what I mean is they have a relationship but I do not live in both worlds, now we could say that for example the syphilids if they live in both worlds, because they have passed the connection to this that the other elves, becoming, in fairies

Edit It's also possible that do exist in both worlds, but first we must agree on which is the faerie world, is another level of reality with other rules or simply a spiritual and ethereal, because fairies themselves are spirits.

I always wondered how the world fairy, I always thought it was a great forest.

Sorry if I can not explain very well, I'm using the translator
I am... The divine Wind.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

You misunderstood what I wrote. I said almost the same as you said. I told that they partially belong to the faerie world, and the enchantments created by the passage that makes the fairies from there able to live like they used to (float around, command plants) in other worlds is partially in them, giving them some supernatural abilities.
Dracoc00

Post by Dracoc00 »

So would be like the duality of the elves in LOTR, now that I think, the elves call what they do magic? Have no title that says so, and the sorceress is a name given by other races, then the magic of the elves would not be magic but inherent capabilities
I am... The divine Wind.
GiletteAbdi

Post by GiletteAbdi »

Why would Elves leave the Faerie world, and why wouldn't they just go back to that place instead of fighting and risking to die?
AOW

Post by AOW »

Will it increase the learning cost of creators and over constrain them?
Anyway, here are some of my rough work and ideas.

Multiverse chart

Multiverse explanation

Silver City:
It is responsible for maintaining and managing the Empyrean community that operates the Universe (maybe Angels and the like?), they are pure observers. This place symbolizes the order power of mind and thought. Unless authorized by local biology, otherwise ordinary person can't get here.
*Silver city is shrouded in eternal daytime.

Eternal Realms:
Some great beings live here. It may be vague or even completely fictional based on the cognition of material life. It is recorded in some ancient documents, or it is just a bunch of words with high metaphor. despite all this, it can be recognized by the residents of The Material World.

The Material World:
Ordinary and familiar world, Wesnoth, Kingdom of human; Orc tribe, Naga, Elves and other species live in it, including the sun and moon and other celestial bodies. Other things are established by their connection with The Material World.

Elemental Chaos:
The plane that constitutes the element of the material world is also the home of the element biology, located at the bottom of The Material World, dangerous and wild.
*All elemental creatures and magic such as those involving elemental power are automatically enchanted by leadership skills here.

Spirit Fields:
The twin Fields overlapping the material world are the mirror and echo of the material world, with beautiful natural landscapeIt, can be accessed through the weak points between the two(mostly controlled by the Elves of The Material World). Creatures living here include Fairie, Spirit, Unicorn, intelligent Dragon and Giant. Also known as the Farie world by Elfs, though it contains more.
*It looks similar to The Material World, but there are more forests and lakes, and bigger mountains for Elfs to survive.

Nether Courtyard:
A home to return to defunct,By trekking through the path of the dead, the souls reaches the resting place where everything is dim.
*The environment is like a cave.

Hell:
Just...Hell. There is a smell of sulfur in the air. Demons living here are the most greedy and selfish beings in the universe. There is no kindness and compassion.
*When using magic in Hell, its hit rate is reduced to 35%.

Twilight Deep:
Part of spirit fields, dominated and subsidence by chaotic Fairie, is a more terrifying environment, including large mushroom forests and swamps, which are said to be closely related to the original necromancer. Rumor has it that this was once the troll's homeland.
*Time in twilight deep is half dusk and half night. There is no other weather condition.

THe Mikly Way:
The source and channel of magic energy can be recognized by the naked eye at any place in the Universe. it also connects different planes, Its function is similar to Bifferst of Nordic.