Stone Remembers: A Novel of Wesnoth (completed)

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Stone Remembers: A Novel of Wesnoth (completed)

Post by fabi »

Since feedback is mostly positive on the work,
I wonder if we can find a more prominent place for downloading the novel.
Maybe at our website?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

fabi wrote:Since feedback is mostly positive on the work,
I wonder if we can find a more prominent place for downloading the novel.
Maybe at our website?
Yeah, someone could create the page - Irdyan/Wesnothian Novels. By the way, I downloaded the novel moments ago, so expect some feedback from me on the morrow, or the day afterwards.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
JPomazon

Post by JPomazon »

A-Red wrote:Hey all,

I've finished writing the fan novel I've been working on for the last several months (and yes, at over 50,300 words it is novel-length), and am excited to finally be posting it for you to read. I would like to think of this as a contribution to the game in some way, though I don't know if that makes sense. I hope you enjoy.
A-Red:

Hey dude. I think it's really cool how you completed a novel based in the Wesnothian(?) universe. I am just starting to get into BfW and find it to be a very rewarding.

Before I really dive into your work, Stone Remembers, and I was wondering what fantasy books have you read and is there one book/series in particular that caught your attention or encouraged you to write your own?

Thanks again man.

-JP
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I've been gone quite awhile, and wow, there's been activity in this thread!

JPomazon, I've wanted to write novels since I was very young, so it's hard to pinpoint the original inspiration (in those days it was probably Redwall). I've read a wide range of fantasy and science fiction, but in terms of epic fantasy, my tastes are pretty standard -- The Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, and The Dark Tower are probably my biggest sources of inspiration for a story like this one.

I did at least one more pass on this story since the version posted here--nothing major, but it got a bit of work. The repeated description of the lightning attack that bothered some people was changed to a different comparison; the first use of it became "There was a sound, throbbing-low and rumbling like the fall of a stone arch..." which allowed me to vary it up a bit more on future mentions to eliminate some of the repetition while keeping the repeated image. I'm sure I probably fixed some typos and other little things too.

I completely missed the discussion of having a download for this somewhere on the site--did anything ever happen with that? I would be happy to provide the most recent version. It's awesome to know that people are still reading this story.

A-Red
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

A-Red, what a pleasant surprise! A response to JPomazon´s message didn´t seem likely to me,
it´s quite a while you haven´t been around, isn´t it ?
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for that great BfW-novel.
"Stone Remembers" is very well written, a dark and gripping story from the title to the last word.
Reading it is always worth one´s while!
It casts a completely new light on the rather deprecatory estimation ofTrolls and Undead,
not to mention the unique description of the rise and fall of the fabulous caves of Knalga.
I was impressed by your story, though you are apparently not a "blank sheet"
in respect of fantasy writing, as a research "in the outside world" has shown. Am I mistaken ?
Well, I just hope that we will again have the pleasure of another A-Red-work related to Wesnoth.
Even if there has, unfortunately, not yet been provided a befitting place on these forums
for your first novel, as well as for other unusual contributions of this kind.
If you provided the download of the most recent "Stone Remembers",
I personally would be happy to dwell again upon Parsothol and Kaltos. Kudos!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I've attached the most recent version of the story in the OP. Again, it's nothing major, just little tweaks here and there.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Shameless necro-post here, because if anyone hasn't read this yet they should. Wow... it was a great read. I can't even find words to properly describe it, so I'll just quote tr0ll instead:
tr0ll wrote:
All that said, i found it positively gripping and couldnt put it down (or rather, couldnt tear my eyes away from the screen). The characters have some depth to them, developed over the course of the story. There is tragedy, hope, humour, action (lots thereof), love, forbidden love, betrayal, bravery, sacrifice, philosophy and even music - what more could one ask!
Although you probably aren't interested in further editing this novel (if you even read this post), I'll leave my few critiques anyway. You're obviously a better writer than I, so take it or leave it.

1) Common modern phrases: every time a dwarf said something like "Are you kidding me?" or "I'd like to see you try!" the otherwise stellar immersion was broken.
2) Using Wesnoth buzzwords (rocklobber, direwolf, melee axe as opposed to throwing axe, etc) had the same effect, though I guess it is useful as a very concise description. In fact, most of these would be apt descriptions even if I had never played BfW, but for me it broke immersion nonetheless.
3) The very first paragraph would be a great attention getter, but... the sentences were all so long. I felt like I was choking on the strings of dependent clauses. Maybe you were just trying a little too hard to have a strong start? At any rate, I never had that problem again through the whole book.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Wender_BR

Post by Wender_BR »

just read it, very nice how you used the wesnoth units and factions , is there any campaign inspired by this novel? I am willing to see it
wingsfalcon

Post by wingsfalcon »

nice novel story
JamesRichey

Post by JamesRichey »

Hi A-Red. I just found out about your novel on the forum and am reading it now. I wrote my own Wesnoth novel and posted it last year. I searched for other novels here and did not find yours until just recently when another member pointed it out. I know it was quite some time ago when you wrote it, but if you get this message, I hope you respond. Thanks!
Created an open-source novel on Battle for Wesnoth: Heir to the Throne (based on the campaign). The source code (manuscript) is posted for free on my website http://jamesrichey.com/Wesnoth.html.