A Rough Life

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: A Rough Life

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Wendek wrote:A bit of necroposting... but I don't like playing a campaign without giving feedback, heh. :)
And that's a Good Thing™. :wink:
Wendek wrote:Kyoko could use some custom portraits and/or sprites to better reflect her "dwarvish ancestors", but honestly that's really a detail. :p
Hmm... I remember having a sprite, made for an old campaign, by the Wesnoth Italian Forum. Perhaps I should post it, so you can comment. However, it will be the same sprite for all the three levels, so perhaps it isn't a good choice. :(
Wendek wrote:Almost nothing... just a little detail : what's the point of the passage with the troll whelp at the end ?
As you may have noticed, I picked up this campaign because Jacques_Fol disappeared from the forum, and I decided to not change the storyline. It may be a foreshadowing - who knows, perhaps in future Jacques will have to fight this new Troll leader, that was the Whelp about you're talking.
Wendek wrote: Especially after finding a way to easily destroy the dam, when the trolls should realize they're gonna die soon.
You know, not every Troll is smart like Grog or Gruu...
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:Hmm... I remember having a sprite, made for an old campaign, by the Wesnoth Italian Forum. Perhaps I should post it, so you can comment. However, it will be the same sprite for all the three levels, so perhaps it isn't a good choice. :(
On the other hand it makes sense. The whole campaign lasts what, a few months ? (and the longest part is probably Jacques' trip to the desert) I'd find it more logical that Kyoko doesn't go from a 16-year old-looking girl to a mature Elf in that span.
However, my graphical sense is very limited, so I'm not sure my opinion on the said sprite would be worth much. :p
Elvish_Hunter wrote:You know, not every Troll is smart like Grog or Gruu...
Hehe... true. Although there are ogres with them... and those, while not Nobel-prize winners, should be able to understand that they're gonna die, right ? :p
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Wendek wrote:On the other hand it makes sense. The whole campaign lasts what, a few months ? (and the longest part is probably Jacques' trip to the desert) I'd find it more logical that Kyoko doesn't go from a 16-year old-looking girl to a mature Elf in that span.
However, my graphical sense is very limited, so I'm not sure my opinion on the said sprite would be worth much. :p
OK. This is the sprite about I was talking, do you think that fits Kyoko?
Made by the Wesnoth Italian Forum
Made by the Wesnoth Italian Forum
melime.png (7.3 KiB) Viewed 15163 times
Wendek wrote:Hehe... true. Although there are ogres with them... and those, while not Nobel-prize winners, should be able to understand that they're gonna die, right ? :p
Or maybe not, considering the usually Ogres are smart more or less like Trolls? :P
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

That's a nice sprite for sure. The leafy wings might be a tad too much though, heh. Is it said anywhere she has wings ? I'd think an Elf with Dwarvish blood (and who lived in a cave pretty much all her life) wouldn't be that close to the forest, but that's my interpretation.
Although I was mainly thinking of a portrait when I said Kyoko could use a change. The good point about the current sprite is that the portraits match the sprites. If you change the sprite only, I'm not sure how it'd end up.
Then again, take all what I say about graphics with a grain of salt or two, because the hardest thing I can draw is a hangman. :D
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
Kewltist

Post by Kewltist »

It's the first campaign I played (and I played my fair share O_O) in which i couldn't beat the very first scenario no matter what(I gave up after 2 hours of restarting)
I have no idea how to survive that long without scumming and screwing up Jacques XP by that..

I tried rushes, turtling in various parts of the map and it seems nothing works, one time I managed to level up Jacques and died a turn after while desperately trying to hold woodsmen camp...

Any suggestions? ;P
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

Yeah : don't try to win it, since you can't (you only have a bunch of ruffians, the enemies and especially the mud thingy keep recruiting). Your goal is just to survive 15 turns (and kill the goblin henchman, if you can), after which it's okay if you get killed.
stegyre

Post by stegyre »

Kewltist wrote:Any suggestions? ;P
As has been said, "winning," in this instance, just means surviving to Turn 15.

To do that:

Head immediately to the woodsmen in the SW corner. On a good Turn 2, you might take out two of them and damage their king. If you don't take out at least one (using Jacques' backstab), things are going poorly. If you have not eliminated their king by Turn 3, things are goind poorly.

If things are going well, the woodsmen should be cleaned out by the time other units (including mud globs) start arriving, and Jacques should have 12 to 20 XP. (20 is excellent.)

How things go from there depends upon how many of your ruffians have survived, but keep in mind that ruffians are fodder! You cannot take them with you. (Sad, especially on the rare occasions when you level one.) Use them to weaken other units for Jacques to kill. Levelling Jacques goes a long way to ensuring his survival.

If I have a lot of ruffians, I'll put them on the edge of the keep, so they can defend from good terrain while attacking units on bad terrain. If only one or two have survived, I'll usually stay back in the two villages.

The ultimate goal is to kill the goblin rouser with Jacques. This is hard to do, but very rewarding. The best set up is to have the Rouser on grassland (injured), Jacques in the keep (at 20+ XP), and a ruffian or mud glob positioned to allow backstabbing. Once that's done, Jacques simply camps in one of the villages accumulating as much XP as possible.

It's a challenging scenario and a fun campaign.
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

When I start this up, I get:

The following add-in had errors and could not be loaded:
/User/rowan/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.9/data/add-ons/A_Rough_Life/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
Macro/file 'IS_LAST_SCENARIO' is missing at ~add-ons/A_Rough_Life/scenarios/13_Following_Destiny.cfg:83 included from ~add-ons/A_Rough_Life/_main.cfg:41

I've redownloaded just to be sure, but it still isn't working.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

That macro was added in core in 1.9.10. Just update your Wesnoth version and it'll work.
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

Ah, so this is only for 1.9.10!

EDIT:
Major problem with the Shadowhounds mission!
Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Jacques_Fol wrote: (1) Did you like the storyline of the campaign? If not, what would you propose changing?
The campaign was superb! Where do people make story plots like this? :D
(2) Did you enjoy the combat element of the campaign? Was there too little of it in relation to the text? What was the difficulty like (with reference to your chosen level)? What general changes would you propose to the combat/battles?
Don't make the enemy leaders passive (except Ancient Liches). I rate all scenarios a 7 out of 10.
(3) Did you like the amount of mid-game conversations between the units? Was there enough or too much of it, or would you like to see more? (With specific examples if possible.)
Yeah.

(
4) Were you annoyed by any of the "director's choices" in the campaign (notably, leveling Jacques and transforming him into different types)? If yes, what would you change?
Nope. They were interesting. :hmm:
(5) Which map(s) do you think would most need improving? (And let me know if you'd be willing to help.)
The map where you have break a dam (final battle scenario)

(6) How much do you think that this campaign would need or benefit from custom art?
It would be very beneficial.
(7) What other specific suggestions would you have that would make the campaign better and more fun (especially those that do not require too much work)?
Make Gronar's bow (story plot), into a crossbow, as Orcish Leaders use crossbows as of 1.8.x
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:EDIT:
Major problem with the Shadowhounds mission!
Spoiler:
Sorry for not noticing this before, but edits do not bump topics... Anyway, this is fixed in 1.1.5 (it was a typo and a missing [and] tag).
golemsci

Post by golemsci »

I had fun on this campaign. Nice work, Jacques!

(1) Did you like the storyline of the campaign? If not, what would you propose changing?
It was a good tale.

(2) Did you enjoy the combat element of the campaign? Was there too little of it in relation to the text? What was the difficulty like (with reference to your chosen level)? What general changes would you propose to the combat/battles?
I found level 1 too hard for a starting level, but maybe I was focused too much on trying to kill the goblin.
In general, I thought the strategies needed were a little simple perhaps, and generally you could make do with one key unit type rather than mixing roles and terrain.

(3) Did you like the amount of mid-game conversations between the units? Was there enough or too much of it, or would you like to see more? (With specific examples if possible.)
It was good.

(4) Were you annoyed by any of the "director's choices" in the campaign (notably, leveling Jacques and transforming him into different types)? If yes, what would you change?
Like the other guys said, I was a little confused why Kyoko had wings when her father was a dwarf? Did I miss some dialogue about her mother? Actually, I thought for a long time that the secret was that she was Ruphulus' daughter. Also, for some reason, I never liked warmed to her as a character that much.

(5) Which map(s) do you think would most need improving? (And let me know if you'd be willing to help.)
The final showdown with Ruphulus map was way too big. I went to the green place with a unit other than Kyoko, so didn't get the event. It's too much to expect the player to guess that's what they had to do.

(6) How much do you think that this campaign would need or benefit from custom art?
I liked the look of things.

(7) What other specific suggestions would you have that would make the campaign better and more fun (especially those that do not require too much work)?
It was fun, I don't have any other criticisms. Cheers!
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Um,
Hello
I do not know where Ruphulfus is in Day Of Reckoning, even when I make Kyoko go to the grassland in the cave nothing happens.
I am playing on Wesnoth 1.12.0
Can you please help!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

gweddeoran wrote:I do not know where Ruphulfus is in Day Of Reckoning, even when I make Kyoko go to the grassland in the cave nothing happens.
Did you kill the three enemy leaders, and move Kyoko to a certain tree in the grassland?
If you're still stuck...: