Beating Dwarves

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

2 poachers will kill a ghost during any time of day usually. Granted they cost 40% more (but this is not a big deal because even 3 ghosts vs 4 poachers usually equals 1 or 2 dead poachers one wounded poacher and 3 dead ghosts.

2 thunderers will also kill a ghost but you have fewer DEF terrain options so the ghosts are more liekly to drain you.

Personally I prefer poachers unless there is a LOT of hills and mtns.

I should stop giving away this secret as my opponents always seemed surprised when their ghost (or even wraith) armadas die when I am dwarves.

There is the addtional problem of what to do with these units after you have killed the ghosts cause they blow against the other UD.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Tmoiy

Post by Tmoiy »

Becephalus wrote:2 poachers will kill a ghost during any time of day usually. Granted they cost 40% more (but this is not a big deal because even 3 ghosts vs 4 poachers usually equals 1 or 2 dead poachers one wounded poacher and 3 dead ghosts.
By my calculations, 2 poachers cannot reliably kill a ghost at full HP at any time of day.

1 poacher = 4-4, 2 poachers = 8-4

Day: 8-4 - 25% (day) - 50% (resist) = 2-4, avg 4 dmg at 50% def
Twilight: 8-4 +0% - 50% = 4-4, avg 8 dmg at 50% def
Night: 8-4 + 25% - 50% = 6-4, avg 12 dmg at 50% def

Considering that if the ghost is on a village, it can heal/drain all his wounds back the next turn, I think you'd need more poachers than that to fight a ghost. And then, of course, the poachers fall to skeletons.
toms

Post by toms »

Tmoiy wrote:
Becephalus wrote:2 poachers will kill a ghost during any time of day usually. Granted they cost 40% more (but this is not a big deal because even 3 ghosts vs 4 poachers usually equals 1 or 2 dead poachers one wounded poacher and 3 dead ghosts.
By my calculations, 2 poachers cannot reliably kill a ghost at full HP at any time of day.

1 poacher = 4-4, 2 poachers = 8-4

Day: 8-4 - 25% (day) - 50% (resist) = 2-4, avg 4 dmg at 50% def
Twilight: 8-4 +0% - 50% = 4-4, avg 8 dmg at 50% def
Night: 8-4 + 25% - 50% = 6-4, avg 12 dmg at 50% def

Considering that if the ghost is on a village, it can heal/drain all his wounds back the next turn, I think you'd need more poachers than that to fight a ghost. And then, of course, the poachers fall to skeletons.
leads back to using an ulfserker against the ghost. For Wraith: Thunderers.

And please start a new thread about dwarf strategies.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I am really curious if anyone has a good Drake strategy against Knalgans? In my experience, Drake Gliders are a waste of gold because the Knalgans kill them like flies. Better to just do your scouting with Drake Fighters, I guess; at least that way you have a decent chance against their gryphons.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
player

Post by player »

Sapient wrote:I am really curious if anyone has a good Drake strategy against Knalgans? In my experience, Drake Gliders are a waste of gold because the Knalgans kill them like flies. Better to just do your scouting with Drake Fighters, I guess; at least that way you have a decent chance against their gryphons.
if u can evolve a glider, it is good.

saurians are also helpful against dwarves(not all the time)...
-jew
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think i'd use clashers + both types saurians, but i'm not sure if it's good strategy.
toms

Post by toms »

Tomsik wrote:I think i'd use clashers + both types saurians, but i'm not sure if it's good strategy.
Clashers are at least a good ulfserker-counter. And they can do real melee damage.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

player wrote: if u can evolve a glider, it is good.

You cannot possibly be serious. Sky Drakes are easily the worst level 2 unit in the game. You might as well hand out free gryphon level-ups.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
player

Post by player »

Sapient wrote:
player wrote: if u can evolve a glider, it is good.

You cannot possibly be serious. Sky Drakes are easily the worst level 2 unit in the game. You might as well hand out free gryphon level-ups.

it qactually depends on how u used it.

sky drake has 50% def. (its basically weak if not used well.
)

and it has 3 impact attack also,
-jew
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I don't claim to be a balancing expert or anything, but it doesn't take an expert to notice that level 2 sky drakes are worse than level 1 gryphon riders. The gryphon rider has better terrain defense. It get's 60% on mountains, and if you're a flying unit, it is very easy to end on a mountain.

Also, after taking a look at their damage resistances, gryphons have better net damage resistances. Even worse, sky drakes have a huge weakness to cold damage, which more than offsets (in my opinion) their fire resistance.

Resilient gryphon riders have more hp than a standard sky drake, however, perhaps the biggest advantage is the continued savings of gold and the ease of leveling up the gryphon if it kills the sky drake.
toms

Post by toms »

Gryphon riders cost 8 gold more, but they are still too weak:

Cavalry->better
Elf Scout->better
Footpad-> :?
Horseman->beats at least two of them
Ghost->better
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

The sad part is, I was actually comparing gryphon riders to Sky Drakes (which cost 30 gold... i.e. 6 gold more than a gryphon rider).
toms

Post by toms »

Yes, they are way too weak. Better use saurians for capturing villages.
merry

Post by merry »

Dont forget, the sky drakes do have ranged. That means they can deal damage without taking any on their turn.
I dont know half of you half as well as I should, and I know less then half of you half as well as you deserve. ~ Bilbo
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

merry wrote:Dont forget, the sky drakes do have ranged. That means they can deal damage without taking any on their turn.
Welcome to the boards, merry. Personally I'd prefer if Sky Drakes had a powerful ranged attack rather than having to choose between two weak attacks. They would be far more useful that way: swoop in, do enough damage to finish off a unit, then fly away (assuming you manage to survive).