the UNdead units

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Wow. I thought airsofters and paintballers were bad for senseless profanity.

Leave it off, son. You swear like a schoolboy. Often and poorly.

Or, in the inimitable words of Noy....
GO TO YOUR ROOM! NO WESNOTH FOR A WEEK!

If your ghouls are missing all three attacks, try attacking something that isn't so hard to hit... Elves in forest is not a good target. Ghouls are support, not mainline. One or two with an attack group should suffice to poison important/tough units and send them behind the lines.
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

I think we have an FPS player here.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
player

Post by player »

Tomsik wrote:Uhh... stop using that much commas, that's very annoying. :!:
If you think that's cool...

i dont actually think that theyre cool,,, its juz my habit
-jew
Chris Byler

Post by Chris Byler »

Basically there are three ways for a unit to be good at surviving attacks, and they all have advantages and disadvantages.

Defense: usually only works in some terrains, can be negated by luck, marksmen or magic, units with a lot of defense usually have low hp *and* no (or negative!) resistances. Very unreliable. Don't count on a defense unit to hold the line unless you have no alternative.

Resistance: Predictable, which is both good and bad (you're much less likely to survive by a lucky streak the way a high def unit sometimes can, but also much less likely to suddenly die to an unlucky streak.) Doesn't work on poison. Usually units have resistances to only some damage types; some units with high resistances also have at least one high weakness (esp. undead). The few units that have well-rounded resistances are slow with weak attacks.

Hit points: Also predictable. Applies to everything. Unit takes longer to heal (taking up more time of healers or villagers, too).

Although Regeneration won't help you survive one turn of attacks, it can help you survive multiple turns. It also keeps the unit from becoming a load on healers, and it doesn't have to run back to villages.

A few units, like mages, don't have any of these ways to survive attack. That's why they die very, very, very easily. (Most units in Wesnoth die easily to equal level enemies, but some die more easily than others.)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Chris Byler wrote:Basically there are three ways for a unit to be good at surviving attacks, and they all have advantages and disadvantages.

Defense: usually only works in some terrains, can be negated by luck, marksmen or magic, units with a lot of defense usually have low hp *and* no (or negative!) resistances. Very unreliable. Don't count on a defense unit to hold the line unless you have no alternative.

Resistance: Predictable, which is both good and bad (you're much less likely to survive by a lucky streak the way a high def unit sometimes can, but also much less likely to suddenly die to an unlucky streak.) Doesn't work on poison. Usually units have resistances to only some damage types; some units with high resistances also have at least one high weakness (esp. undead). The few units that have well-rounded resistances are slow with weak attacks.

Hit points: Also predictable. Applies to everything. Unit takes longer to heal (taking up more time of healers or villagers, too).

Although Regeneration won't help you survive one turn of attacks, it can help you survive multiple turns. It also keeps the unit from becoming a load on healers, and it doesn't have to run back to villages.

A few units, like mages, don't have any of these ways to survive attack. That's why they die very, very, very easily. (Most units in Wesnoth die easily to equal level enemies, but some die more easily than others.)
4th way to survive--don't get attacked.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
player

Post by player »

suvival???

you juz need to be patient and make sure you have attackers and sacrifices(if needed).

and other thing,,,bore your opponent so he will not play as good as he does(only on some humans)

and also place ur units on nice defensive terrains...

or,,,juz avoid being killed(like retreating when losing)
-jew
JW

Post by JW »

player wrote:and other thing,,,bore your opponent so he will not play as good as he does(only on some humans)
This is discourteous. If you use this as a tactic you likely won't find yourself in many more games. Personally, I just quit games if my opponent takes too long and isn't responding. If that's how you intend on winning, it is truly a cheap and meaningless victory.
player

Post by player »

i actually dont use that tactic,, but i know one who does(iku yo)

its effective though cause i quited on the game....

and i caNT concentrate on the game cause its boring,,like sh*t
-jew
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

How are feces boring?

Really, the recent influx seems to be the result of advertising Wesnoth on X-Box live....

Point is, he didn't win. He just didn't get to finish. Still a bad (not to mention rude) way to play.
JW

Post by JW »

player wrote:i actually dont use that tactic,, but i know one who does(iku yo)
1) Then why would you propose that others use this as a "tactic"? Do want to see more spawns of this tactic appear over the Wesnoth server?
2) It's rude to name names like you did, but it's not really a big deal in this circumstance as we're talking about a video game.
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

Thrawn wrote:4th way to survive--don't get attacked.
Indeed. Isn't it odd how those wolf riders in A Choice Must Be Made didn't want to climb up into the mountains in the morning and cuddle with my four cute little gryphons? Funny about that.
player

Post by player »

JW wrote:
player wrote:i actually dont use that tactic,, but i know one who does(iku yo)
1) Then why would you propose that others use this as a "tactic"? Do want to see more spawns of this tactic appear over the Wesnoth server?
2) It's rude to name names like you did, but it's not really a big deal in this circumstance as we're talking about a video game.

juz giving them some game destoying tactics:)
-jew
player

Post by player »

hey, tomsik,,by the way,,,im not CARTMAN,,,s odont blame him on multiplayer
-jew
purki
Location: Somewhere in the north to slay marauding dwarfes and trolls.

Re: the UNdead units

Post by purki »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
hearter wrote:what are the common ud strategies against each race-
-a)rebels?
Rebels have no counter to Skeletons. Depending on their recruits, get a few Dark Adepts, Ghouls, or Skeleton Archers on the side, but the bulk of your army should be Skeletons.
Rebells have woses in the most eras (they are very strong when they attack undead at day), otherwise you can have shamans and archers and try to get the undead in the forest
Elvish Pillager wrote:
hearter wrote:-b)loyalists?
A tricky foe. Make sure not to recruit a full castle until the loyalist player has shown his hand. Once that happens, recruit Dark Adepts if they have no Cavalrymen or Horsemen, Ghouls if they rely on Heavy Infantrymen, and Skeletons if they don't bring Heavy Infantry.
loyalists have magi, they are very strong at day, but 3 attacks of skeletons kill them.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
hearter wrote:-c)northeners?
Another Skeleton victim, but they have nasty Trolls. Trolls can be killed by Skeleton Archers or Dark Adepts, preferably at night.
If the trolls are joined by other forces and can't be swarmed, fight the group in the Day when the troll isn't a threat.
trolls in hills and mountains are very hard to kill (only dark adepts can kill the there easily), but on other terrain they have weak defenses
Elvish Pillager wrote:
hearter wrote:-e)knalgian?
Dwarvish Fighters are tough. Knalgans should be out-scouted; get Ghosts. If they get Gryphon Riders, well, the Ghosts were cheaper. For the actual combat, get all Skeleton (Archer)s if they use Thunderers; otherwise, mix skeletons with other troops. Make sure to have at least one melee skeleton to take out exposed Ulfserkers.
hearter wrote:-f)undead mirrors?
The best strategy is to quit the game and start a decent game. Undead vs. Undead is pretty stupid.

:D :P