Need Multiplayer Strategy (hexcake, loyalists, vs elves)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kshinji

Need Multiplayer Strategy (hexcake, loyalists, vs elves)

Post by kshinji »

I need help. I play loyalists, and i have my strategies for most races. However, i am weak against Drakes and Rebels. Need tips against Elves for Hexcake, f.e. when we are on left edge of map. I mostly play 25gold, 2gpv 30% AND 100gold, 4gpv, 30%.

PS - It would be nice if you find a way for levelling up 1-2 horsemans.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

30% is ridiculous. 4gpv is ridiculous. 2gpv is bordering on ridiculous (although there are many who disagree on that last one.) For Drakes, Spearmen are a good idea, as are Bowmen, and Horsemen can be good in an auxilary role. As for Rebels, they can be tricky to fight against, for Loyalists. There's no real killer strategy that defines a fight between the two.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
toms

Post by toms »

Take always a good leader, not the default one.

Tipps:
orc: a slayer(good defense)
elf: soceress, hero, druid, and marksman are good
human: take whatever you like, or look at the situation
dwarf: rogue, or steelclad(default) is quite good.
drake: any flyer
undead: keep the necromancer

AND:

If you have an dwarvish enemy, you need resistant units and fire/cold
weapons.

Dwarves are a very good race, believe me :wink:

For more beginners, elfs and humans are strong, but they have som
weaknesses.

If you play loyalist vs an elf, beat his woses with a (or more) fencer(s)
and get the elfs in forest (good defense) with mages.

(Don´t count this: My favorite race is undead...strong but, weak)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

rtfm...

I asked for strategies for loyalists against elves, i didn't want you to tell me that i shoul choose best leader, not the default one :evil:

I am NOT n00b - i play loyalists, and case of configration and map, i prefer White Mage, or Shock Trooper, for additional healing, or good HP.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

kshinji, tactics depends on map and on opponent, it's not that easy, there is no single tactic that let you always beat rebels with loyalists.
player

hehehe

Post by player »

For elves:
make sure you will not let them fight on forest,,for example,, occupy the forest with fencers or other units,,,or just move away on the forest.(':twisted:')

also use some horsies,,can kill archers if you use them wisely...

For drakes:
create lots of piercing units..make sure to have a back up mage if he have saurians...
dont create mage if he doesnt have any saurian..mage will just help you lose...(':D')

of course,,your win depends on thousands of strats...this are juz few

-jew
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Thanks, that tip about fencers was okay. If anybody else can teach me some tips, i would be glad. Especially for attacking, not defencing.

@All da Wise Guys, (who do not read other people posts)

Do you really think you all are the only people who know, that strategy depends on map and situation? I am new. I played about 15 times on O.S. I wanted to know tips, like - "Undead are unresistant for pierce and fire, so buy mages and infantry".

Imagine, you asked for good strategy against one race. Is is possible, that you meant a "always winning strategy" ? Not, you are wise enough to know there are no such strategies, and everybody have to use their brains DURING game, not BEFORE. Now, why do you assume, i am less wise than you? Because of number of my posts? Or poor English? I am from Poland, i learn english. And being new to game, doesn't mean i am new to GAMING, I am playing starcraft, and when i ask for tips on Starcraft forums, they don't tell me that therte are no powerful strategies, just they tell me a handful of tips in matter which i asked in.

Post by guest »

Hmm. Let's see what I can do for you. I am not familiar to playing with the settings that you use, but I think I can give you some advice.

Against drakes - I won't touch that, since you've already been advised to pierce them...

Against elves: As you play with 30% experience, leveling your units (and not letting your opponent level his) will be more important than usually. The elves have very good level-ups (don't forget the dangerousness of the shaman line). Fortunately, the loyalists also have a solid line-up.

1. Choose where to fight. If possible, fight anywhere else but in forests. (Mostly doesn't apply to Hexcake, since your locations are fixed. Still, you do what you can to affect where you fight.)
2. You will need mages, and you need to keep them alive. Both against elves with good defence, and, naturally, against woses. With 30% XP, you should be able to level one up to a red mage.
3. Heavy infantry has good resistances, and can be useful, if the map allows them to reach the battle in time. However, it is tricky to not get them killed by enemy mages at daytime.
4. If your opponent is using scouts to fight, they have already lost, since you have spearmen.
5. I am not proficient in the use of cavalry. However, with 30% XP, they level quickly to dragoons, so they might be useful. I am still not sure whether using them against elves (who have very good ranged attacks) makes sense. On small to medium-sized maps, maybe not. 1 horseman will be useful, if the map gives opportunities to take out a careless archer on grassland with 1 hit.
(6. Finally, I must mention that you need to remember to use the time of day to your advantage, as I am sure you are well aware of.)

Specifically on hexcake:
- Cavalry probably doesn't make sense, whereas horsemen can.
- When attacking (at day), mages and heavy infantry are useful.
- When defending, spearmen are most useful (they have a small ranged attack, and they are cheaper to lose than heavy infantry). If the opponent is not using lots of mages, heavy infantry can naturally do a good job in defending, too, though they are more expensive to lose.
- An odd fencer may help in finishing off a unit in a ZoC situation.

Hope this helps.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

MAGES:can kill elves when in forests
HORSEMEN:can finish units like drakes in low defence terrain
SPEARMAN:can be the first line of your army because of theyr "first hit"
CAVALRYMEN:useless
ARCHER:can kill drakes fighters and can defend better than others by elves
LEADER:if the enemy chooses elves,take a mage (Red Mage line)
if drakes take the pikemen or the Longbowmen.
Great Mage Nicolas
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Thanks a lot, both to Nicolas, and (especially) unlogged guest.

Those informations would be very useful - i think my bad side are those small useful tips - who's better against who, etc. Again, thx a lot.

BTW, cavalry sucks a lot. I think adding 1move point and decreasing other stats would be okay.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

kshinji wrote:Thanks a lot, both to Nicolas, and (especially) unlogged guest.
He is logged. He just use nick "guest".

Nicolas wrote:CAVALRYMEN:useless
I disagree, i think they are nice agnist woses, they have blade damage and impact resistance, they are fast also.

Post by guest »

kshinji wrote:Thanks a lot

BTW, cavalry sucks a lot. I think adding 1move point and decreasing other stats would be okay.
You're welcome.

Cavalry is OK, I think. They are also meant to be easy to level, and stronger at level two, so that weighs in on how good they are.
unsung

Post by unsung »

loaylists vs elves- I'd focus on engaing in meele- especiall ywith horsemen. and look for a chance to kill his leader by slippin gone thorugh his lines- people leave gaps often.

I can't think o fmuch else righ tnow.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Most things on unit choice have been said, so i will concentrate on the strategic part.

Elves suffer primarily from their low hitpoints. Therefore i would concentrate on units that can do a lot of damage.

Concentrate your attacks on day time. Not because loyalists are weak at night (elves are too) but because you play on 30% XP. Under those conditions it is important to kill a unit with the first try, otherwise it's chances to level up increase dramatically (since in many cases it only needs one more kill to do so). Generally: Never attack a unit if you can't do substantial damage (attacking a unit in a village doing 12 damage is completely useless). Only attack if you have the chance of killing it or doing so much damage that it has to retreat for a couple of turns.

Rely on heavy hitters (see 1) like spearmen and heavy infantry. A horsemen might be useful but only against archers or mages on bad terrain and if you can afford it. If your opponent buys mostly cheap units (that is fighters) a horsemen is not a good idea.

A good start is very important when it comes to fighting. To achieve that there is two ways: Attack first or fight from better terrain.
Attacking first can be difficult if you face archers. They are one of the fastest combat units (i don't count scouts here) and that means they can stay out of your reach but attack you first whenever they want. If that turns out to be your problem, then good terrain is your best friend (archers can deal a _lot_ of damage).

If your opponent concentrates on powerful units like archers, mages and woses, you need a lot of patience. If he cares for placing them on good terrain, there is no "fast win". The task here is to gain an economical advantage to win in the long run. Spearmen are first choice then, one or two merman for the water villages (depending on how many your opponent gets).

If you play in teams consider getting help from an ally to establish a strategically superior position. One or two rounds might be enough to achieve that.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
unsung

Post by unsung »

Nicolas wrote: CAVALRYMEN:useless
I disagree. it has a decent attack and great speed. I ofthen use it to fight woses, and its a good unit to scout, take villages, and track down and finish off the wounded. I always have at least one.

It salso the only scout worth putting in th emiddle of the fighting-it won't instantly die like you'd expect.

Yogi Bear wrote: 2.
If your opponent buys mostly cheap units (that is fighters) a horsemen is not a good idea.
What? A horseman can take a figter in one turn if he hits.

If they are in the forest, he isn't usefull, but on the plains, it is very usefull.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?