test of the clan

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sly

Post by Sly »

@afroman293 : IMHO it's the most difficult scenario of all officials campains, so don't feel stupid :P
needhelppls.

Post by needhelppls. »

on the campaign description on this site it says it's possible to win by just surviving till end of turns, i want to find out if its true and if I can just wade in the lake toward the north.
yeahthatguy

Post by yeahthatguy »

That's boring though. Why not do what I did and send wave after wave of horsemen at them? Now that was fun.
steelfist

Post by steelfist »

yay! i beated it! i just attacked mr. green and destroyed everybody except the leader, and got him down to 10HP and then he retreated to the keep. i used 2 nights one horseman, and one paladin to do this task. after the next turn, each of the horsies occupied a village and all that leader did was sit there from then on.

meanwhile, at turn 2 i had two druids, and 5 Drarf Lords, (level 3 melee drarfs) and 1 lancer (they are great for scouting and capturing villages) and occupied the hill patch at the left. i held there and had the heroes (main characters) and the drarfs to hold and kill at that area. i survived quite easily there. when the advancing forces was weak enough, I then started advancing and killing.

after killing 25 guys, i sent one of my knights and killed the leader with one blow. i think i did an overkill, because i recalled too many drarfs. i finished the level in 13 turns.

i'm not showing off here, i'm expressing my excitement and joy of acclomplishing something i thought was impossible for me. i did a lot of trial and error and found this tatic to be very conservitive and efficient. now i feel that this "mission" isn't that hard, once the right tatic and strategy is used.

the trick is to be defensive and let them come at you, and make them attack the right units (which here i used the main characters and drarfs.) i find using horsies to reach the 25 kills very risky, because once the turn ended, they will die very easily. i find delfador to be quite a useful lure too.
Sly

Post by Sly »

I beat it differently, coz when I fortified myself on the hill patch, enemy units were too much cowards to attck me ... so I retried and changed tactic after beeing on turn 8, a lot of units around me and no one who dare attack ...
steelfist

Post by steelfist »

well, for me, i was fighting kamakazies.
jonadab

Yes, it's hard, but...

Post by jonadab »

My complaint with Test of the Clan is not its difficulty. The difficulty is warranted, because this scenario comes very near the end of a major campaign. My complaint with Test of the Clan is that it is lengthy and tedious and makes an excellent test case for why Wesnoth needs some interface options, like not scrolling for dialog, jumping rather than scrolling at the beginning of a turn, and scrolling only the first N and last N tiles of any scrolling event longer than 2N, jumping in the middle (where N is user-specified). On a system that is fast enough to make Wesnoth playable, but not much faster, this scenario is very tedious.

Anyway, here's a replay.
Attachments
Test_of_the_Clan_replay.zip
Test of the Clan, medium difficulty.
(22.96 KiB) Downloaded 176 times