test of the clan

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

needhelppls.

test of the clan

Post by needhelppls. »

I found this extremely hard even on easy but maybe it's just because I send out my leaders and they die anyways just help. :o
scott

Post by scott »

There has been a lot written about this scenario. It would be more effective if you did a search rather than wait for people to rewrite their advice.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
bruno
Inactive Developer

Re: test of the clan

Post by bruno »

needhelppls. wrote:I found this extremely hard even on easy but maybe it's just because I send out my leaders and they die anyways just help. :o
It might help to say what recallable units you have and how much gold you have,
Dwarves are pretty decent against horses, so you probably want to get those first.
When I won this I played it a few times and finally ended up hiding in the mountains to the south waiting until I had killed 25 units and then going for the near by leader.
needhelppls.

Post by needhelppls. »

I tried searching for it but found nothing, maybe i'm just a blockhead, if you find a thread please post a link on this present one.
dtw

Post by dtw »

I think you are plain lazy
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
k8to

Post by k8to »

This thread is a good argument for using wikis instead of forums.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

k8to wrote:This thread is a good argument for using wikis instead of forums.
Or making a thread (maybe per campaign) which has links to the other threads that explain the scenarios of said campaign(s). Add the sticky feature for good measure.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
scott

Post by scott »

There is something in the wiki (Play > Walkthroughs for Official Campaigns > etc)
but it's out of date.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
needhelppls.

Post by needhelppls. »

i searched for test of the clan and all i found was that this guy kept losing so can I just get some plain help? pleas?!
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Its one of the scenarios i disliked most because it was uncharacteristically difficult.

I.e. when i first played it, I didnt notice that a slain leader will emerge two new knight units.

Anyway, I find it much easier to use the southern route, then go to the west. Whenever I tried to take the northern route, I ended up being banged and gold-insuffed, while doing the western route didnt help much, sooner or laters my units ended up being wounded, and then i started to lose them. (The enemy knights and horseman emerge so quickly, I can barely kill enough to cause a stand-still).
I think the scenario could be easier if the map would be made larger, but you would only have to kill 2 leaders. Few extra units to have would help, I could use them as canon fodder easier ;)

I only had one dwarven unit, that guy was mostly in villages, and while not really very useful because he was so slow, he was near unkillable and seemed to cause the AI to do silly moves at times - that helped too. I think best way is to south-rush, then rush west/southwest.
needhelppls.

Post by needhelppls. »

should i send my leaders to affect the battles or should i just keep them safe in a keep,lake or something?
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

needhelppls. wrote:should i send my leaders to affect the battles or should i just keep them safe in a keep,lake or something?
Sending your leaders due south to kill the leader in the southern castle with a few support units is a good use of your leaders; they are relatively safe, they get the job done, and if you lose one you'll only have to replay a few turns from the start of the scenario. :)

I generally agree that going north doesn't seem to work out very well, though sending some troops south with your leaders and some more diagonally through the middle isn't a horrible idea. Having one or two quick Elven Outriders pick up the northern villages can provide a bit of a decoy for your southern moving forces.
Sly

Post by Sly »

I just finished it (in normal difficulty) using a swarm of thieves to stand the charges of knights :

I headed south to kill the leader, then west, but one turn too late so I ended running away to kill lord bayar using my remaning lvl2 thieves (those who leveled during the scenario) to slow the enemy pack ...
afroman293

Test of the clan

Post by afroman293 »

Hey guys, I think I am really stupid or something. I am playing this scenario on easy, but it's impossible for me. I guess my army is kind of small. If you guys could think of something with this size, that would be great. I have a Lord (Konrad), Delfador, Level 3 Kalenz, Level 3 Lisar, level 4 great mage, level 3 mage of light, level 3 silver mage, level 3 elvish champion, and a level 3 grand knight. I lost my elvish riders, my avenger, and my lancer in previous scenarios. During the scenario I level up units to an marksman and captain. I just can't seem to win. I kill the first leader with out a problem by going south, then I get bottled up and slaughter because I can move fast enough. Any help?
Tmoiy

Post by Tmoiy »

It might help if you had some leveled dwarves. I used dwarves to hole up in the hills nearby to my castle, used archers to pick off the remnants of horsemen, and finally advanced south when I had amassed nearly 25 kills. I found that it worked better than trying to go after any of the other faraway leaders.