Should horse based units have the skrimmisher ability?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Should horse based units have skrimmisher?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 94

jonadab

Ability to move after attacking

Post by jonadab »

Darkmoon wrote:For skirmisher,... unlike what it is now... more appropiate would be ability to move after a fight
I have thought about such a trait, and think that it might be an interesting one to have in the game, but I do not think it should replace the current skirmisher ability. Therefore, it needs a different name. Perhaps "retreat" or "guerilla" or "disengage". Obviously units with too strong an attack should not have this, e.g., Knights with their charge attack should not have it, because that would be overpowered and unbalance the game too much. It might be interesting for some scout-type units, however.
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

unsung wrote:hprses don't skirmish past or through- They charge through, which is wy they had lances.
Lances are practically useless in real combat. Their main use, historically, was in duels and competitions. This is neither here nor there, however. The charge attack in Wesnoth fits well with the gameplay and balance. If I'd designed it I probably would have made it an impact attack and called it something like "Trample", but the basic idea (of doubling both damage inflicted and damage sustained) is tactically interesting and works well in the game.
Jkun

Post by Jkun »

No way. Massive movement + skirmish? I hope any unit that has both doesn't have more than 10 HP. >;P
Shadowdweller

Post by Shadowdweller »

jonadab wrote:Lances are practically useless in real combat. Their main use, historically, was in duels and competitions.
While I hesitate to make judgements on the accuracy of the first statement, historically there have been PLENTY of military units that primarily relied upon the lance. As no doubt a quick internet search should reveal.
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

Realism: in two minds. Horses aren't very manouvreable in a melee unless you're an excellent horseman on a very well-trained horse; this is particularly true of things like heavily-armoured knights, who would be on absolutely enormous horses (partly in order to carry the weight of the armour, partly because they were better at trampling people). So I wouldn't want mounted units to be able to, e.g., escape when surrounded. On the other hand, horsemen could penetrate a loose-formation line fairly easily.

Gameplay-wise, no. It'd make it incredibly hard to shield units, which (as I understand it) was why multi-hex-range attacks were taken out of the game. Cavalry encirclement to pick off injured units is a big enough threat as it is, particularly in scenarios where you have a relatively small number of troops fighting in very open terrain.