Pros and cons of classes

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PaperWall_

Pros and cons of classes

Post by PaperWall_ »

Elves (rebels)
-Pros
--Medium price range
--skilled in archery
--Relatively high movement points
--level ups can change the playing field
--Have a water race included (mermen)
--neutral
--Woses ambush and regenerate
--healing units

-Cons
--if not on forests, villages, or castles they have bad terrain defense
--Not so centered on melee
--relatively high xp for next level
--medium hit points

Orcs (northerners)
-Pros
--low price range
--centered in melee
--medium terrain defense everywhere
--assassins if played right can prevent enemies from healing on their villages
--Trolls regenerate
--low experience to next level

-Cons
--not centered on archery
--chaotic
--low movement range
--medium hit points
--no ealing units

Drakes
-Pros
--high hit points
--high damage
--high movement range
--healing units
--balanced between melee and ranged

-Cons
--high cost
--high experience to next level
--low terrain defense
--lawful

Dwarves (Knalgan alliance)
-Pros
--Ulfserkers if used right can be a good defense
--centered in melee
--thunderers can be powerful if used right
--neutral
--thieves and footpads have high terrain defense everywhere
--griffins have low xp to next level up
--high hit points

-Cons
--overall bad terrain defense unless on mountains
--high xp to next level up
--thieves and footpads are chaotic
--thunderers have a low chance of hitting
--ulfserkers can easily be killed if not careful
--high cost
--no healing units

Humans (Loylists)
-Pros
--medium hit points
--high damage
--centered in melee
--medium xp till next level up
--have a water race (mermen)
--medium movement points

-Cons
--high cost
--low terrain defense on everything except castles, villages, and flat land
--do not have a healing units
--can almost never defend against archery until leveld up

Necromancers (undead)
Pros
--medium cost
--most attacks either drain or poison
--medium movement range
--equally use ranged and melee
--low xp till next level

-Cons
--low hit points
--dark adepts cannot defend melee (ulfserkers easily defeat them)
--low damage attacks
Xudo

Re: Pros and cons of classes

Post by Xudo »

Where is khal's?
Greyr

Post by Greyr »

PaperWall_, I do not agree with much of your assessment and find it to be a tad misleading. Hopefully the following is received in the spirit it is given (well-meaning). I'm going to approach this assuming you are listing pros and cons based on your multiplayer experience. If you feel I misunderstood a point or two- please let me know.

First, let me point out what I find to be misleading:

- "level ups can change the playing field" - Yes. Leveling a unit in any faction tends to do that.

- You point out that ulfzerkers, when used well, can be a good defense... Okay, but how? You use "defense" interchangeably to mean either terrain defense or tactical defense.

- Between Northerners and Elves you have listed being melee-centric both a pro and a con. I think I know what you are trying to mean here, so this is more of a knitpick than anything, but those aren't pros and cons. They just are. One balances out the other, in a sense.

- Having a water unit is not a pro so much a pro as a benefit. Nagas, Mermen, Gryphons, Ghosts/bats, Flying Drakes ALL can be used as a navy.

- Really, I could trace most of what I find to be misleading back to your efforts to break down each faction down to it's individual units. Factions are balanced against factions.

If you can still bare it, allow me to point out what I find to be wrong with your assessment :mrgreen:

- Being chaotic is not a con. Similarly, the Knalgans having chaotic units is certainly not a con. Units are balanced with the -25% malus in mind, you know. This is why Khalifate units have a much higher base damage than most other level one units for their price. Having a damage spike in the form of Lawful/Chaotic is pretty great when leveraged appropriately.

- Undead? Low damage attacks? Again, due to their chaotic nature they are absolute terrors. Dark adepts and melee skeletons hit very hard. Also, don't forget about resistances. Cold/Blade are very good damage types, as there is relatively little that resists them. You have listed "most attacks either drain or poison" as a pro. I mean, they have two units that have these effects respectively, so. This does not constitute "most". Again, another pro I do not really agree with is the undead's "medium cost", the undead, are in fact, pretty cheap. They have two units with zero upkeep, and the zombies have the ability to effectively generate 8g via plague. Don't even get me started on bats, lol. Those things steal villages like mad. Anyway, I will stop harping on the undead.

-Gryphons should not be considered for recruitment simply because of their "low xp to next level up". Even considering this, Gryphon Masters are not very good for a level two. Not to mention these are the most expensive units you can recruit in mainline. Period.

I could go on, but I feel I've pointed out all the things that immediately stood out to me. Again, allow me to reiterate, factions are balanced against factions. Pros and cons shouldn't be on units themselves but the factions as a whole. Ha, sorry if that was a little bit rough. I'm a nice guy, I swear.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.
PaperWall_

Post by PaperWall_ »

dude i foyu think that was offending i know it was for oyu to help me. learn from your mistakes is what i always say. feedback is helpful fo rme to revise things. thanks alot!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Yeah, I kinda disagree with you on some stuff.

First off, for me, being loyal/chaotic is a pro, and being neutral is a con. Sure, you have to retreat at unfavorable ToD, but when it's you time, boy does your opponent get it! Neutral factions are just forced to follow, retreating when it's their opponent's favorable time, but lack the power surge at other times. Oh, sure, they can advance a little earlier (dusk/dawn), but to me it doesn't feel like it compensates (yes, the factions are still balanced).

Also, you seem to have missed some key features of each faction and some of their general themes:

Rebels: They strong suit is ranged attacks. And they still have decent melee. Being tied to forest can seem like a con, but on forests, they absolutely rock. And forest is one of the most common terrains, after flat open fields and maybe castles and villages. Also, the shaman's slowing attack is one of their more important defensive abilities and is worth noting. They are also averagely priced, have okay versatility and slightly above-average mobility. And access to a magic-using unit is also certainly a pro to consider.

Northies: Those guys you summed up okay, they are dirt cheap but lack versatility.

Drakes: These guys' main strength is their mobility. Sure, their units are stronger than the average, but they are so much more expensive that in a toe-to-toe trench war, they lose almost every time. Also worth noting is the saurians: if not as impressively powerful, they give the faction added versatility and a night-time counter-punch.

Knalgans: They have sturdy units for their average price. With their lower mobility on average, they make for a more defense-oriented faction. Their main trait, however is that they are comprised of niche units. Each of their unit excels at doing one job but kinda sucks at all others. It makes them harder to use, but used correctly, they can own the place. Some exemples: gryphon riders are the ultimate scout with flying movetype and lots of movepoints, but are not a terribly impressive fighter; Ulfs are the ultimate mage or archer bane, but don't pit it against a melee unit; guardsmen are the ultimate defensive wall-unit, but they have less then impressive offensive capability and low mobility; thieves are great heavy hitters if you can manage to position it correctly; etc. And don't dismiss the outlaws, who can provide some night-pushing power, some damage output and ranged coverage!

Loyalists: Again, you miss these guys' strength: versatility. Loyalists have the most units to pick from of all the factions and have diverse choices. They have magic, water control, high-mobility units, a cost-effective footsoldier, a sturdy defensive unit, archers, etc. Maybe all of their units are not as effective as other factions' counterpart (archer vs elvish archer for exemple), but they have a bit of everything, which not everybody has. Also, the cavalry is one of the most appreciated units out there, with its high-mobility and decent defensive and offensive capabilities.

Undeads: You seem to underestimate those guys too. They can in fact be damage power house! Adepts are killing machines. They also have one of the better scouts of the game with the vampire bat, a flying unit with a good amount of movement points. Their peculiar resistances is both a pro and a con, because even though it's pretty useful against some attacks, it's pretty weak against some (slightly rarer) ones and it makes them a bit predictable. Appart from that, their main con is their low-mobility. And undead army doesn't move very fast, it is easy to evade them and they sometimes have to take some risks to manage they day/night push correctly.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth