Yet another "Heir to the Throne" walktrough

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ignatius

Yet another "Heir to the Throne" walktrough

Post by ignatius »

This was my first attempt at wesnoth and got me hooked to the computer for about two weeks. I played the HttT campaign v0.8.7 on medium. I've read all the walkthroughs and tips in the WiKi and the forum, which I not only found to be extremely helpful but also enjoyable to read. So I decided to do my own walkthrough, after I've finished.

The saves and replays are available on my homepage unter http://tph.tuwien.ac.at/~oemer/wesnoth

Thanks to Dave and all other developers for this great game!

cu

Ignatius

-----------
01 - The Elves Besieged

OK, so I pretty much screwed that up: While I finished after about the minimum number of turns for a good gold bonus, I failed to earn any significant XP.

The best strategy would probably be to rush with Konrad to the exit while trying to gain as much XP with the others. Use Delfador to soften up level 2 units before you move in for the kill, preferably with a Shaman or Elvish Fighter.

02 - Blackwater Port

Again, not nearly optimal. Since you cannot possibly save money here, there's no point in trying to finish early. The goal should have been to kill as many Orcs as possible with your new units; Delfador should only be used as a last resort.

03 - The Isle of Anduin

The key error in this map was recruiting only one mage; two or three seem about right in hindsight. As a consequence I wasted more kills on Delfador than necessary. Also, leaving Konrad in the castle with zero XP until the end was probably not a good idea.

04 - The Bay of Pearls

On the first try, this scenario eventually made me restart the campaign. The key to the sea battle is getting the trident before seriously engaging the sea orcs. The key to the land battle is establishing a solid defensive position near the castle until you have dealt with the first wave of trolls. Don't even think about going on the offensive - and thus breaking your protective formation - until you have amassed a big enough army.

05 - Muff Malal's Peninsula

After BoP, this is an easy one for making money and building XP. Don't over-recruit to get the most out of this level.

06 - The Siege of Elensefar

The key here to play in perfect accordance with the day/night cycle: Keep a tight defensive line taking advantage of the terrain at night and pressure the Orcs during the day w/o overextending your lines. If you manage to defeat the Orcs before the undead arrive, the battle is basically won: Move forward on a broad front and mop up the scattered skeletons with your mages; then kill off the Necromancer with horsemen.

07 - Crossroads

Stay near the castle until you have defeated the first wave! If you try to rush up the road right away you're doomed as you will get attacked from both sides. After that, the best course of action would probably have been to stay on the road, forking off a small detachment to kill the western leader and rushing on with the main force to kill the north-eastern Orc. Instead, I got greedy and got ambushed several times in an attempt to capture some mountain villages, and consequently required some save-loading to get out of the trouble I got myself into.

08 - The Princess of Wesnoth

I finished this scenario on turn 4 by forcing Li'sar to surrender to a quick Lancer. I'm not sure if an assassination strategy like this is reliably successful, though: If you cannot defeat Li'sar early, you will find yourself in a highly fluid battle with mounted troops and it will be very hard to avoid casualties.

A more conservative approach would be to dig-in in one of the forests and fight off the enemy onslaught, but the troop requirements for this are completely different (mostly Elves). However, since you cannot hold too many villages this way, you might not be able to get enough money for the next scenario.

09 - The Valley of Death

The key here is not to allow yourself to be encircled: Recruit one castle, send off two fast units for the holy water and immediately engage the leader in the nord with the rest. How you proceed depends on how fast you manage to kill off the northern undead. If you are quick, then turn back and fight your way SW while some strong melee units protect your rear against the moving corpses. Otherwise, proceed westwards around the mountains and head south for a final stand in the forest.

10 - Gryphon Mountain

Again, a major screw up on my part, as I failed to send a healer after Delfador and Kalenz which rushed to get the eggs, so I had to resort to massive save-loading to get out alive. Also, I somewhat underestimated the power of the level2 loyalists you will face for the first time. Otherwise, I wouldn't have pushed forward so hard and probably avoided some precarious situations.

11 - The Ford of Abez

This one is easy. Recruit one castle worth of mermans and two Gryphons and rush north with Konrad and the gang. This strategy is cheap and safe, however, you won't gain much XP that way.

12 - Northern Winter

A straightforward strategy works just fine: recruit a huge army and then work your way along the obvious path. Just see that you have your troops past the first snow-field on turn 6. I detached a small group of fast infantry to besiege the NW leader while the rest moved forward to the main objective digging in in the forest just below the NE castle. Here, I overextended a bit and had a hard time to get my mounted avantgarde back to safety when they got cut off from the main force by the snow on turn 12.

Still, there is much room for improvement: A handfull of Elven fighters along with a druid to control the central forest, as some have suggested in the forum, would have been a good idea. And a better coordinated use of the Gryphons would have allowed to take out some more Wolf Riders and control more villages.

13 - Mountain Pass

From what I've read on the forum, it seems like I used a somewhat unconventional strategy by going directly over the mountains. This way, you are able to keep a strong defensive line that can make a stand against the first wave of Trolls. Air superiority is key for this to work, otherwise the enemy Gryphons will take out your Mages and weakened units in the rear. Also, take care to only recruit troops with can move at least 2 mountain hexes.

As for the dwarves: Since you cannot keep them (which I didn't know at the time), any kill is wasted XP. However, when you use the strategy above, the main battle will be mostly over before they arrive at the scene, anyway.

14 - The Dwarven Doors

Unless you want to empty your pockets on cannon fodder and are prepared to lose more XP on killed leveled units than you can probably gain, don't even think of fighting back here. Get a castle full of fast units for protection and distraction an then run like hell to the right door. Paladins are nice here as they can take a beating and provide mobile healing.

15 - Plunging into the Darkness

I suppose this is mostly meant for familiarizing the player with caves. Nothing to see here ...

16 - The Lost General

The goal of this level is to get your fresh dwarfen recruits into shape for the next scenario, so hurry to the eastern leader before the party is over and try to score some kills. I've split a small detachment of slow units including Kalenz to go south to begin work on the undead but probably overdid it, as I didn't know that a huge backdoor would open on the SE side of the small lake to the lost general's cave on turn 20, just in time to get the bulk of your hopefully victorious dwarves back into battle.

17 - Hasty Alliance

To win this one w/o having to resort to cannon-fodder, you need some good dwarfen melee units and keep them in a tight defensive formation to to absorb the first onslaught. Steelclads or fighters close to leveling up work best, as you cannot provide sufficient healing and don't have the time to rotate out damaged units. After the initial battle is won, it's just mopping up the remaining scattered Orcs. Don't let Li'sar's troops take too many kills, as you're not going to keep them.

18 - The Sceptre of Fire

This is actually a rather easy level which you should be able to finish w/o any casualties when you employ the following strategy: Split your force into two independent groups - both equipped with dwarfs, 2 healers and maybe some missile units - and have one lead by Li'sar and the other by Konrad. The trick is to have one group consisting entirely of fast units which can move at least 3 cave hexes per turn and the other, backed up by Kalenz and non-quick mages. See that you get to move your non-Dwarfen units the max each turn and that you always seal off the tunnels such that no front line unit can be attacked more than twice on the enemy's turn. Kill off any attackers with your second line units and establish a new line with your dwarfs 3 (or 2 resp.) hexes farther north.

The time limit is just sufficient for your two groups to meet again at the northern end of the map while either Konrad or Li'sar wait to take the Scepter on the last turn.

19 - A Choice Must Be Made

Nothing to see here. The enemy (esp. the southern leader) is ridiculously weak and scattered once you engage him. I seriously over-recruited in this one; two castles should have been more than enough.

20 - Snow Plains

Another walktrough. A good playground for Silvermages.

21 - Home of the North Elves

Recruit on castle worth of fast (7+ MPs) units and then run like hell. While the Orcs are merely annoying, if the loyalists gets to you in numbers before the Elves do, you're into real trouble. The biggest problem for me in this level was the lack of fast curing units, for which my Paladins were only a weak surrogate. A quick Shyde would really have been helpful! If I were to do it again, I would probably trade the Silvermages for two horseman as cannonfodder, as you neither have the time nor enough support units to use the mages effectively.

23 - The Valley of Statues

Like in Mountain Pass, a strong airforce is essential. Use your Gryphons to first kill off the enemy Gryphons and then to take out the Cockatrices one by one before they reach your ground troops. In fact, it should be possible to win by only recruiting Gryphons, which would allow for a very early finish.

24 - Return to Wesnoth

After having read the comments on the forum, I had a lot of respect for this level and if the AI knew how to play defensively, then this scenario would indeed be very hard to win early. As it is, you just have to give the AI some rope to hang itself: During the first few turns, avoid to attack the northern leader, but wait instead until he will scatter his Royal Guards until you can pick them off one by one.

Once you have done this, you basically control the northern half of the map. Amass you troop at the bridge but save two small detachments, one to the east and one to the west to kill off enemies trying the cross the river elsewhere. Once you're ready, try to secure a bridgehead on the other side and establish a defensive position while you bring over the rest of your army. For some reason, the AI failed to launch a systematic counterattack and instead kept its troops at distance and scattered. Once you have your army completely across the river, kill the Orc leader and advance systematically on a broad front.

25 - Test of the Clans

This is one of the toughest levels if you want to finish early. Time is working against you, so you have to make haste. I sent off two castles with fast units, half of which consisted of freshly recruited horsemen as cannon-fodder to assassinate the SW leader, while making a stand with Konrad and the rest, heavily supported by healers and dwarves. Your Dawarvish Lords are about the only units which can hold ground against a mounted enemy in grassland, but keep them alive as you will need them for the final battle.

I found that my expedition force was probably too small and they barely made it to their objective alive (and that only with a good deal of save-loading). Once you are there, beam up your silver mages for the final kill.

26 - The Battle for Wesnoth

You are confronted with a truly overwhelming force on a small map and have only a few turns to establish a defensive position. I chose a vanguard formation, extending from the eastern village NE and then north up to the upper border of the map. The main advantage of this over a straight N-S line is, that your units are closer to the castle to keep supply lines short; the drawback is that the unit at the angle can be attacked by 3 enemy units per turn. Have your units standing shoulder to shoulder so that a single casualty wouldn't be enough to breach the line. By the same reasoning, avoid having two weaker units side by side. Again, your dwarves, esp. the Lords, are the backbone of the defense.

Behind the frontline, I had healers alternating with leaders. Damaged units got rotated out and replaced with fresh recalls and recruits. As this is the last level, continue to recruit until victory is certain or you run out of money. Having piles of gold really helps; if necessary, you better restart at TotC or RtW rather than entering this battle with inadequate resources.

Also, I found that 5 units with cure ability are not enough to keep up with the sustained damage, so it would have been helpful to have extra healers in the rear to care for the wounded. That way, you should be able to get away with a smaller army and less money.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

please merge your suggestions with the ones in the current walkthrough. thats what a wiki is for - anyone who has something to add can. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Yet another "Heir to the Throne" walktrough

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

ignatius wrote:I finished this scenario on turn 4 by forcing Li'sar to surrender to a quick Lancer. I'm not sure if an assassination strategy like this is reliably successful, though
It is. I rarely engage Li'sar's troops in that scenario.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
martenzo

Re: Yet another "Heir to the Throne" walktrough

Post by martenzo »

ignatius wrote: 20 - Snow Plains

Another walktrough. A good playground for Silvermages.
Also gread with gryphon riders, I Would have made it in 6 turns with only 6 gryphon riders but i went to get the sword, so i took 18 turns and some level three units as fortifications.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

about Test of the Clans... heh...

shade has rebalanced it (i think the changes got into 0.8.8, not sure). did you play with those changes made, or was it the riddiculously unbalanced version you played?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Caçada Selvagem

Post by Caçada Selvagem »

The Muff Malal's Peninsula battle was pretty hard, the zombies were OK but the necro mages were hard, I could restart the game to get more exp, but that would be easy, the point of a strategy game isnt leveling up until the enemy can't kill you anymore, is use strategy duh
so can anyone help me here?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Very interesting thoughts on Heir to the Throne.

I think it'd be cool if thoughts of different players were conglomerated into a full-fledged walk-through complete with images showing strategies, and thoughts and opininos from different players.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
ignatius

Post by ignatius »

turin wrote:please merge your suggestions with the ones in the current walkthrough.
Dave wrote:I think it'd be cool if thoughts of different players were conglomerated into a full-fledged walk-through complete with images showing strategies, and thoughts and opininos from different players.
I think that would indeed be a great idea! The best thing would probably be to have a separate page for each scenario which can be seeded with the text from the "official" walkthrough. Maybe someone with shell-access to the Wiki server can set up a skeleton with some bash one-liners ... Also, some guidelines for a coherent layout would be helpful.
ignatius

Post by ignatius »

turin wrote:about Test of the Clans...
shade has rebalanced it (i think the changes got into 0.8.8, not sure). did you play with those changes made, or was it the riddiculously unbalanced version you played?
I played 0.8.7. It didn't strike me as extremely unbalanced but it was one of the few maps where you probably cannot avoid significant losses and where you need a good amount of gold at the start for a chance to win early. Taking 6 turns from this scenarion and adding it to RtW might be a good idea, though.

Adding some patches of forest in the SW and central part of the map might also be nice, so that you at least have one level in HttT where Elvish Outriders would be worth recalling (however, I've read in the changelog, that they had their forest defence reduced, so this idea is probably obsolete now)
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

Dave wrote:Very interesting thoughts on Heir to the Throne.

I think it'd be cool if thoughts of different players were conglomerated into a full-fledged walk-through complete with images showing strategies, and thoughts and opininos from different players.

David
That might be usefull once we get to v. 1.0. Right now, maybe it is enough if more players would use the wiki. I've just done an update to 0.8.11, but I'm not such an experienced player. Maybe somebody could update the HttT wiki to 0.9.1?
Amor omnia vincit.
dog4life

finishing blackwater port n crossroads early

Post by dog4life »

this is what u do don't worry about elves yet get about 3-5 horseman go to the forest in the south-west forcing the orcs down to u. Also don't worry so much about xp and about so many of them getting for in every stage the first couple of turns the enemies r wry about capturing villages once u get to about turn 5 the orc leader where come out near the village. Now this is all about luck esp if u only have 3 horseman u may lose 1 or 2 but many enemies will gang up around u but being that u have horsemans just kill the enemies infront of u with one of them n konrad n the leader. this is where u use the wizard to get the orc to a real low energy like 2 if u can because when attacking with an horseman attack is damage n defenses aren't so high. This is especially good for the Grand Knight reward u with a strong, intelligent knight. now for the crosswords, also in this stage only horseman,if u were like me and had recruited about 6 knights n was able to keep most of them n upgraded them in past stages all to knights n at least one lancer u recall ur knights about 4 of them get to the eastern leader as fast as possible, u should be near the leader around turn 6. This is also where u have to wry about luck again, for the orc stay in his castle this time n has more better defernse again kill all the enemies near u lower the orc leader hp with the wizard n for the kill with the horseman.I had finished this stage with about 995 gold
dog4life

sum tips on elves besigned

Post by dog4life »

My first time playing elves besigned on hard I had nothing but elves fighters n move up to where u can get the north east emenises to attack u lower the 3rd level troll energy as low as possible wit the wizard n let konrad get the kill on the next turn u should have a level 2 konrad which is excellent for u can use the leadership ability n if u real good at using it n positioning ur fighters may be able to have another fighter upgraded. by the end of this level i had an hero, a level 2 konrad n three other fighters one enemy near getting upgraded meaning they just needed to kill a level one n they be upgraded. the thing is when trying to level up konrad i ended up losing 3 fighters, but it was my first time after all.
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

[quote="turin"]please merge your suggestions with the ones in the current walkthrough. thats what a wiki is for - anyone who has something to add can. :)[/quote]

There's a Wesnoth Wiki???? Where?
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

AThousandYoung wrote:
turin wrote:please merge your suggestions with the ones in the current walkthrough. thats what a wiki is for - anyone who has something to add can. :)
There's a Wesnoth Wiki???? Where?
Click on "Support" at the top of the screen. "Play," "Create," "Project," and "Credits" also bring you to the wiki.
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

FINAL BATTLE

You know I found it easier to spam knights as well as the 10 to 15 level threes that I already had (Paladins, Mage of Light, all the heros, drawf lords, etc.)

Then, I would build a bunch of Knights and a one or two Gryphon Riders every turn.
Then send the Knights to keep distracting and charging the Orc. The others get hasty and rush for the Knights as well as the level threes with that huge presence of Delfador.

The Gryphons meanwhile, go south and then west, out of range from the enemies. Then mass six or more south of the Queen and they start shifting troops south, but it was too late and I just massacred the Queen because the enemy was too far away to kill enough of them to prevent the queen's death.
:)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.