How to play - Northeners vs Rebels - Huumy

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Huumy

How to play - Northeners vs Rebels - Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Northeners by Huumy:

Hey I'm not an expert playing with these guys, but that's part of the reason I'm making this guide.
Last guide I made (the undead one) helped me alot to better my play with the ud.

I also want to thank every1 for good comments, I recommend every1 to read the comment section too, there's usually lot of additional strategies and tips how to use units or just funny stuff.

<<<--->>>
Northerners vs Rebels
(Orcs vs Elves!)

This is the matchup where you use all of your units. You need lot of different units to make up the pure damage, cause either you want to admit or not elves are better at fighting than your orcs and they are almost as cheap too. So basically in this matchup it's hard to just overrun your elf opponent, all of the opponent units are good both at melee and ranged on top of that they have better defenses than you. In this matchup (like every matchup involving elves) denying forest hexes from elves is really important.

Units you are using
→ Grunts: They are core of your army, they have the most hp and do the best damage in your recruit list.
→ Archers: You need to recruit these depending on how many woses your opponent has. Simple way to say you should always have 1 more archer than your opponent has woses.
→ Assassins: Have 1-2 assassins in the fight, it's risky to poison archers so try to avoid that. Your main targets should be fighters and shamans. Try stay on 70% def with assassins it can make all the difference.
→ Goblins: Have only one, 3 attacks instead of 2 can come handy. Only use to finish units that goblin can kill easier than other units (don't send your goblin to death just because it was cheap). :)
→ Trolls: These are great, have 2 or 3 of these, they are great for defending and taking damage 20% resistance to pierce and blade. It also forces your opponent to recruit mages and/or woses, which are easy kills to your grunts.
→ Wolf raiders: Have one to scout, you have big advantage if you know where your opponent woses are moving. Also has 3 attacks and good movement to finish off units.
→ Nagas: If theres lot of water nagas are good.

Basic flow of the game
Fight during afternoon-second watch, Don't fight rest of the day. Don't be near woses during the day (they are slow you can run from them). Basically you need to attack during night and defend during day.
Best defend is to force elves on bad terrain while you stay in villages healing. You can still during day attack elven archers with grunts or trolls BUT never attack wose if you are not 100% certain you can kill it at day time. Poisoning elven fighters during afternoon works good making them too weak to defend even if they wanted.
At night try kill as many units as you can and try lose few as you can. Elves have mainly cheap units too so you shouldn't be too far in income. Avoid giving elves any extra xp.

When fighting
→ Keep elves away from good terrain.
→ When there's going to be big fight make sure you can finish it during night. At day elves on good terrain are Really Really effective.
→ Rotate your injured grunts to villages.
→ Poison units even if they are next to elvish shaman. The most important thing in using assassins is to keep them safe if possible.
→ Fight during night flee during day, that's the best way to counter woses.

Leveling units:
1.Trolls: Beastly once it's leveled and now has 5 mp.
2.Assassins: Survives better and now does good damage with it's ranged marskman.
3.Rest of your units.
What units you don't want your opponent to level.
1.Elvish shaman: Lvl 2 shamans either makes your poisoning useless or has powerful magic attack.
2.Elvish archer: More HP and even more damage.
3.Mage: neutral 8-4 magical attack.
4.Elvish fighter: Leadership.
(5. only in small maps: Woses: They strong but they are slow too.)
5.Rest of units

So basically almost all elven units become more powerful at lvl 2 than your units. So try avoid trading units as it will benefit your opponent more than you.
Last edited by Huumy on October 14th, 2010, 5:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
Just_end_turn

Re: How to play - Northeners vs Rebels - Huumy

Post by Just_end_turn »

I would put woses before in the list of units you don't want your ennemy to level... Because at level 2 they can kill with 1/2 any of your a bit wounded units, and they're very hard to kill. (The druid can be killed with luck, when you have 3 hexes open, even if she's in forest, the wose is much harder to kill.)
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Just_end_turn wrote:I would put woses before in the list of units you don't want your ennemy to level... Because at level 2 they can kill with 1/2 any of your a bit wounded units, and they're very hard to kill. (The druid can be killed with luck, when you have 3 hexes open, even if she's in forest, the wose is much harder to kill.)
Grunts, Archers, and even Wolf Riders make quick work of Woses. Level a Pillager and there will be no more Woses to bother you. True at level 2 they are strong, but with their slow mp and low defense, you should be able to cut them down before that happens.
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

I would put woses before in the list of units you don't want your ennemy to level... Because at level 2 they can kill with 1/2 any of your a bit wounded units, and they're very hard to kill. (The druid can be killed with luck, when you have 3 hexes open, even if she's in forest, the wose is much harder to kill.)
It's true that woses are dangerous units when they get to attack during day, they have much HP and hit hard. But their weaknesses in this matchup are really huge, weakness to fire, 0% resistance to blade, low defenses, they are slow that combined with being lawful make them not so dangerous.
So basically the biggest weakness for wose in this mathcup is: it's too slow to get to frontline at day and it's hard to retreat with it in time + it's easy to kill during night because low defense and not so good resistances vs northeners.
This can also be dependant in situation, if you attacking trough night and it's starting to turn to day then leveling a wose near opponent villages can be great. Still in most situations I think it's about as useful/good as level 2 fish or scout (which are also pretty useful/good), but not as useful/good as any of the four other units named in the list.
So that is why I don't put it in the list as it's own unit. But thank you for reply I hope this made more clear how I see the wose in this matchup atm.

Pretty much what elvish_sovereign said :)
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
Just_end_turn

Post by Just_end_turn »

elvish_sovereign wrote:
Just_end_turn wrote:I would put woses before in the list of units you don't want your ennemy to level... Because at level 2 they can kill with 1/2 any of your a bit wounded units, and they're very hard to kill. (The druid can be killed with luck, when you have 3 hexes open, even if she's in forest, the wose is much harder to kill.)
Grunts, Archers, and even Wolf Riders make quick work of Woses. Level a Pillager and there will be no more Woses to bother you. True at level 2 they are strong, but with their slow mp and low defense, you should be able to cut them down before that happens.
Right, but it depends strongly on maps, and how far villages are from each other. Also I' not sure why you consider automatically that archer will transform in marksman, this is probably the most common choice, but many players choose the Ranger. (Can be used as a elvish fighter in defence and the marksman is weack.)
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Right, but it depends strongly on maps, and how far villages are from each other.
Ok :) I'll put woses in.
Also I' not sure why you consider automatically that archer will transform in marksman
Where is this?
psychic

Post by psychic »

Huumy wrote:
Also I' not sure why you consider automatically that archer will transform in marksman
Where is this?
Here
2.Elvish archer: Powerful ranged attack.
A ranger gets only a 2 damage increase while marksman gets 4 with 60% accuracy. Whether you meant it or not, people reading this post with get the notion that you wrote the above sentence with marksman in mind :)
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Huh... I wouldn't have thought that, personally. Isn't 6-4 strong enough for you on a lv1, especially ranged?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Only dextrous archers have 6-4 ranged.
off topic:
psychic

Post by psychic »

Dixie wrote:Huh... I wouldn't have thought that, personally. Isn't 6-4 strong enough for you on a lv1, especially ranged?
we are talking about archer advancements :P
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

off topic - @Yoyobuae:
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

off topic - @elvish_sovereign: