[THoT] How much gold for Invaders

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish Scientist

[THoT] How much gold for Invaders

Post by Elvish Scientist »

I am more or less stuck on the Invaders scenario (playing as lord/hard). I have a quite good army: my leader is lvl 3, the loremaster halfway lvl2, and I succeed in leveling him up early in the scenario. Additionally I have a number of lvl2's and another lvl 3.
But my gold is limited: 174. I replayed the previous 2 scenarios but that did not help very much. There is little room for an early finish bonus and though I played cash positive throughout the game, the 40% carry over fraction drained my cash.

The strategy advised on the wiki pages certainly does not work on hard. If you just camp in the mountains the orcs will overrun you once they finish the outlaws. The best strategy I tried was crossing the river, finishing the green tribe there and waiting for the rest at the shore of the river. This worked, but did cost my nearly all my experienced units.

How much gold did you need to finish this scenario successfully?
Maiklas3000

Re: [THoT] How much gold for Invaders

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Elvish Scientist wrote:I am more or less stuck on the Invaders scenario (playing as lord/hard). I have a quite good army: my leader is lvl 3, the loremaster halfway lvl2, and I succeed in leveling him up early in the scenario. Additionally I have a number of lvl2's and another lvl 3.
But my gold is limited: 174. I replayed the previous 2 scenarios but that did not help very much. There is little room for an early finish bonus and though I played cash positive throughout the game, the 40% carry over fraction drained my cash.

The strategy advised on the wiki pages certainly does not work on hard. If you just camp in the mountains the orcs will overrun you once they finish the outlaws. The best strategy I tried was crossing the river, finishing the green tribe there and waiting for the rest at the shore of the river. This worked, but did cost my nearly all my experienced units.

How much gold did you need to finish this scenario successfully?
I had 188 starting gold. Here is what I said in my review:
Maiklas3000 wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
hard; 1.8.3

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
7. I don't know what all the hubbub above is about. I recruited one keep, starting with five level 1's and five level 2's, and ended with two level 2's and seven level 3's, including my leader and Angarthing. That was despite making several stupid mistakes.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
My strategy was to hole up defensively on the little bit of rock east and southeast of the keep. It was uncomfortably small, but had the advantage of a board edge to protect one flank.
Just off my other flank were outlaws and orcs, both of whom made me nervous, but they kept each other entertained.
Elvish Scientist

Post by Elvish Scientist »

I played on 1.6.5. I do not know the differences but at least my castle is smaller (can only recruit 6 soldiers at a time).
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Elvish Scientist wrote:I played on 1.6.5. I do not know the differences but at least my castle is smaller (can only recruit 6 soldiers at a time).
The fortress in Invaders in 1.8.3 has 7 recruitment hexes. I recruited/recalled 7 units: 2 fighters, 3 thunderers, 1 thunderguard, 1 steelclad, plus started with steelclad leader, another steelclad, and level 2 Angarthing. Anyway, upgrade to 1.8.3 1.8.4 or you can't complain.