Help! Heir to the throne

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yoshi

Help! Heir to the throne

Post by Yoshi »

Ok this seems impossible.

On scenario 2 of Heir to the throne you can get a loyal knight.

I keep trying to get it but I always end up dying and losing everybody. I don't care about losing villages or gold or losing any elves, I just want to keep Konrad, Delfador and the loyal horse alive and get the knight. Here is a replay of me getting killed trying to get the loyal knight, please give me some advice.

I mean what units should I be trying to level up before hand? How many units should I recall? Should I try to farm gold in the first scenario or just level up a alot of units?

BTW I never save load or restart, if I lose a level then I start the whole campaign from the very beginning again.
Attachments
HttT-Blackwater_Port_replay.gz
(22.31 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
monochromatic

Re: Help! Heir to the throne

Post by monochromatic »

There is this thread.

Common tactics include luring the enemies to Sir Kaylan's Castle or rushing the leader before he finishes recruiting. And yes, having a couple level 2 units help a lot.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

some things I'd consider mistakes:
-You did not try to level shamans or lost the ones that got experience (both upgrades are very useful, always).
-You spent all your gold at once instead of first recruiting/recalling only so much units as your villages can support for free.
-You mainly fought with the non-riding units and elves in the open instead of in the forest (!!!).
-You let orcish archers attack your riders, which lets them go down quickly. For every orc archer alive, use ZoC to make him unable to reach any riding units during his turn. Also, orc archers are the primary target for your riders during your turn. Kill them before they can hurt you. Against trolls and grunts the riders defend well however.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Hey I got the knight. I read a bit on the other thread too and was looking at what units you can get.

The technique that worked best for me is to recruit shamans and fighters and horsemen. Here is why I don't get archers.

1. they cost more
2. while archers can attack safer fighters are better for killing a bunch of orcs because they can sit in a forest and deal 5-4 or 6-4 if strong or leadership so they can scratch up alot of orcs.
3. less hp and more defense so it takes more luck

I don't use scouts because they have low hp and low attack and cost too much and have weakness to pierce.

The way I won is to forget all the villages, let Kaylan keep his villages so he can send you more knights. I won alot of times but the times I have won the easiest are when you get a bunch of grunts attacking a knight in daytime on the sand so his knight will deal 9-4 to all the grunts that attack and when hes about to die he will use his lance to deal about 17 or 19. It depends on if he is strong or not. Also count your gold and upkeep before you recruit and take villages if you need them for that.

First thing I do is get Delfador and Haldiel close to the sand in case the knight comes. Try to keep in mind where you think the knights might go and try to take him somewhere to use him to his full potential. Kill all the whelps first because they will regenerate and don't charge unless the enemy is an orcish archer or slowed or there is a good reason to. Delfador can tank against orcish archers and hit 8-2 because they will always melee him unless he is almost dead but he really should not be.

In the first scenario try to level up Konrad because once you do his bow is as good as his level one sword and its pretty easy to rack up exp and lead his way to victory. Also try to get a Druid first because you need healing and it helps alot. In the first scenario I bought 3 fighters, 2 shamans and 1 archer. Archer got alot of exp but I did not recall him, if you do get an archer in the 2nd scenario its probably a good idea to just recall the one you have because its only 3 gold difference.

Here is a pretty good example of one that I won, the luck was more inflicted then taken but thats not what really matters as much, the real way to win is having more starting gold and Kaylans knight spread his damage out across a bunch of grunts and easy to hit terrian but it's still possible to win if that does not happen.
Attachments
HttT-Blackwater_Port_replay.gz
(23.73 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

If you level an archer into a ranger, you get a slightly better melee attack (7-3 vs. 5-4) plus an awesome ranged attack, more hp and better defenses in forest. And against orcs, archers are pretty easy to level. So I disagree.

Did you see my replay? Scouts can be scary, not to mention later in the campaign with Konrad's lvl 3 leadership, oh they rocked :)

Anyways, congrats on the knight!
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

elvish_sovereign wrote:If you level an archer into a ranger, you get a slightly better melee attack (7-3 vs. 5-4) plus an awesome ranged attack, more hp and better defenses in forest. And against orcs, archers are pretty easy to level. So I disagree.

Did you see my replay? Scouts can be scary, not to mention later in the campaign with Konrad's lvl 3 leadership, oh they rocked :)

Anyways, congrats on the knight!
Your right about elvish rangers they do work pretty well when you level them up. Even in the first level when you look rangers tend to kill alot of orcs and get alot of exp before they die. Galdrad gets alot too. It's possible to win with other units the reason I did not get them was fighters are cheaper and most of the time I was counter attacking at night with fighters.