Love this Game but its bloody hard!

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

daloser

Love this Game but its bloody hard!

Post by daloser »

I just want to congratulate the team that made this game, it is excellent for a freebie and very challenging, even on the "easy" setting. I downloaded the game friday evening and it has consumed my weekend completly.
On my first run I got to the "crossroads" scenario and beat it, but at such a cost to my high level units that I almost gave up. I then started the whole campagn over again wth a new force mix and I am now getting by, barely.
Anyway, my question relates to units that have leveled up to the highest level. Do they receive any additional benefits for the XP they gain after that? I was hoping they gain an additional attack or damage bonus or something? I scanned the "Help" file and the online info, but may have missed it.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Short answer: NO.

Long answer: You can modify the files yourself to add benefits ("house rules") for example I use an edit where every 100xp gives the unit 3hp.
daloser

Post by daloser »

Wow, that was a quick reply. Thanx! :)

I assume that means editing code, something that is not my forte.

Too bad, it would have been a cool feature.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Well, I was lucky and saw your post early. Here's what you would have to do:

Find the Wesnoth directory
Open data/units
Open the file of the unit you wish to let advance further
Add the following:

Code: Select all

[advancement]
		[effect]
		apply_to=hitpoints
		increase_total=3
		[/effect]
	[/advancement]
Also, find the "experience" line and make it say "experience=100".

Not actually that hard.

Good luck, if you poke around you can find all sorts of interesting effects you can add.
daloser

Post by daloser »

Thanx Circon, I'll take a look around the files and see what I can do...
Cheers!
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Circon wrote:Short answer: NO.

Long answer: You can modify the files yourself to add benefits ("house rules") for example I use an edit where every 100xp gives the unit 3hp.

Hey not a so bad idea for a extra for max leveled units :D !!! When they win another 100xp they win +3hp...That would be very interesting :D...

That would also unbalance all Campaigns scenarios but for playing multiplayer that would be very interesting :D
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
miyo

Post by miyo »

I don't like the idea of minor updates after max level. Uber units -> less tactics needed. People should learn to always keep some fresh recruits so they don't waste the valuable experience (and as cannon fodder *evil grin*).

I like that the game encourages using fresh units (getting experience, level healing) instead of encouraging use of uber units.

- Miyo
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

miyo wrote:I don't like the idea of minor updates after max level. Uber units -> less tactics needed. People should learn to always keep some fresh recruits so they don't waste the valuable experience (and as cannon fodder *evil grin*).

I like that the game encourages using fresh units (getting experience, level healing) instead of encouraging use of uber units.

- Miyo

Yeah beacuse of that it would be a great idea to include it in multi :P if it very hard to level up to the max level a unit :S If someone reaches that in multi the minimum would be to give a little extra to the unit :P (only in multi)Then a lot of players wouldnt send like kamikazes all the units they have...That is wath i dislike of mm...
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
daloser

Post by daloser »

miyo wrote:

- Miyo
I see your point and generally agree with it, but I don't like the idea of having a unit peak so early(? I don't know how many battles there are in the 1st campaign?)in the game and keep fighting with no further reward. I'm only a newbie and still learning, but it seems to me that adding a few HP per X amount of EP doesn't create an "Uber" unit. An extra 3 or 9 HPs wouldn't save a unit from bad strategy and would give the player something to look forward to.

Like I said, I'm still new, so maybe I have no idea what 'm talking about. :wink:
Circon

Post by Circon »

daloser wrote:Like I said, I'm still new, so maybe I have no idea what 'm talking about. :wink:
You have no idea what you're talking about :P :wink:

Seriously, though, do a search. This issue was argued to death some time back. Search for "max level advancement".

No, wait... I tried and got this:

Could not insert search results

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1062 Duplicate entry '1068051701' for key 1

INSERT INTO phpbb_search_results (search_id, session_id, search_array) VALUES(1068051701, 'fa381e26badaf6fd59461263cd9fff07', 'a:7:{s:14:"search_results";s:26:"945, 946, 1517, 2007, 2053";s:17:"total_match_count";i:5;s:12:"split_search";a:3:{i:0;s:3:"max";i:1;s:5:"level";i:2;s:11:"advancement";}s:7:"sort_by";i:0;s:8:"sort_dir";s:4:"DESC";s:12:"show_results";s:6:"topics";s:12:"return_chars";i:200;}')

Line : 684
File : /home/wesnoth/www/forum/search.php
daloser

Post by daloser »

Circon wrote:
daloser wrote:Like I said, I'm still new, so maybe I have no idea what 'm talking about. :wink:
You have no idea what you're talking about :P :wink:

Seriously, though, do a search. This issue was argued to death some time back. Search for "max level advancement".

No, wait... I tried and got this:

Could not insert search results

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1062 Duplicate entry '1068051701' for key 1

INSERT INTO phpbb_search_results (search_id, session_id, search_array) VALUES(1068051701, 'fa381e26badaf6fd59461263cd9fff07', 'a:7:{s:14:"search_results";s:26:"945, 946, 1517, 2007, 2053";s:17:"total_match_count";i:5;s:12:"split_search";a:3:{i:0;s:3:"max";i:1;s:5:"level";i:2;s:11:"advancement";}s:7:"sort_by";i:0;s:8:"sort_dir";s:4:"DESC";s:12:"show_results";s:6:"topics";s:12:"return_chars";i:200;}')

Line : 684
File : /home/wesnoth/www/forum/search.php
Sorry, didn't mean to start an argument about an old issue. Maybe I should finish the 1st campaign, before I start complaining. :lol:
Anyway, the game is way cool, and thanks for the help re: editing. I guess I always have the option of adding it myself and seeing what happens.

Cheers!
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

daloser wrote:I see your point and generally agree with it, but I don't like the idea of having a unit peak so early(? I don't know how many battles there are in the 1st campaign?)in the game and keep fighting with no further reward.
well, that is the point. You can use powerful units, win the scenario easily, but get no reward, or you can level up more units, but have a harder time winning the scenario. So it adds a strategic element to recalling.

Circon: your "code" is messing up this page! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Also, that error message is probably session-only (my browser is going slow so I will not test).
daloser

Post by daloser »

After playing through HttT a couple of times on "Easy" I do have a much better understanding of the game mechanics/philosophy and strategy (though I'm still not very good at it). Adding 3-6 HPs does make a difference, when ya have to decide to risk a wounded high-level unit or withdraw it. So, sorry I brought up an old argument, I guess I was thinking more along RPG lines than strategy lines.

I learned my lesson, play the bloody game through before making rash suggestions.

One thing that struck me about the game is that you get attached to certain units, at least I do. The fact that they are "heroes" with a name and often unique traits makes you view them differently on a psychological level than if they were a "squad" or group of men represented by a playing piece. I was lucky enough to get a "strong, resilent" elvish scout that I carefully developed into an outrider, who was great at setting up kills for lower level units to advance on. I lost him twice due to bad strategy/luck and had no hesitation about loading an earlier save and getting him back. And I would do it again. I think it was because of these type of attachments that it took me a while to get into the cannon-fodder philosophy that is the key to winning.

Attachments to bits and bytes? I know, I need to get a life! :)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

daloser wrote:I learned my lesson, play the bloody game through before making rash suggestions.
Good job. Lots of people don't manage it.
I lost him twice due to bad strategy/luck and had no hesitation about loading an earlier save and getting him back.
What, only twice? When that happens to me, I 'lose' my heroes a lot more... :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
daloser

Post by daloser »

Elvish Pillager wrote: What, only twice? When that happens to me, I 'lose' my heroes a lot more... :P
Me too but not this guy. I usually kept him way back and used him like a "rapid reserve". He would swoop down on an enemy and help the level 1s out for a turn, maybe two, and then withdraw and heal and do it all over again.
He must have helped 1/4 of my units level.
Once he got to level 3, I never used him as a scout unless I knew he was safe, I never sent him forward unless I was "sure" he would survive. I withdrew him from the frontline if any unit had the smallest chance to kill him. Ergo, I didn't use him as often as I could have. No risks! Man, I felt like I raised that elf myself. Couldn't bear the thought of losing him. :lol: