Test of the Clans

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
santi wrote:THERE IS NO AND CANNOT **EVER** BE ANY EASIER SCENARIO THAN DWARVEN DOORS:
What? That's a very presumptive thing to say....

Anyway, there is one already, in HttT itself: The Elven Council.
I agree with EP.. what about Elves Besieged? What about the peninsula scenario after Bay of Pearls? What about the Ford of Abez? All easier IMO. Okay, that strategy may win you the scenario easily.. but not everybody uses that strategy. Even so, you'll have to go to the fake door first if you want to play realistically (as if you play without knowledge of the map).
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Na'enthos wrote:I agree with EP..
um... I think EP is just saying that trivial scenarios are easier than Dwarven Doors, which is not what you are saying.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Dacyn wrote:
Na'enthos wrote:I agree with EP..
um... I think EP is just saying that trivial scenarios are easier than Dwarven Doors, which is not what you are saying.
Sure he could've been joking.. or maybe he meant what you think he did, but he didn't exactly say so. Of course The Elven Council is 'trivial' in the sense that it's more like a cut-scene..

The point is that i do agree with EP (unless he was not serious) on the account that there are easier scenarios than Dwarven Doors. I just picked a few scenarios which (IMHO) are easier.
Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

[/quote]
um... druid, right? :)

I don't really have many tips at this point; my suggestion is to recruit a LOT of cannon fodder (worthless level 1 units). thieves, because of their cheapness, work nicely. keep them coming, get konrad on hte keep the whole time, and keep the thieves coming... defeat southern enemy... get more thieves... try to get across river without losing any advanced units (losing thieves is fine)... kill enemies.
but keep in mind I don't know if this works, its just what i'm going to try when i playtest it...[/quote]

Did you try it out yet? My problem is that I don't have much gold. I sturggled through the previous screanos so I only start out with 100. My trouble is holding terrorory against all the other guyz while I am dealing with one. And it's hard to distract them with grifin riders cuz they are so fast. Ah well, if nobody has any better ideas then I had just get to work on it. Maby get a whole bunch of elvish scouts and keep them distracted while you take them out one by one.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Na'enthos:
none of the scenarios you mention is easier than DD(you actually need to fight in these scenarios)
if you follow a run strategy as suggested, i.e. recruit 4-5 horsemen for cover on round 1 and immediately get everyone (K'rad, Delf, Kalenz etc)
running for the right door, without bothering to retaliate when they get hit.
Elvish COuncil is not a playable scenario(you don't actually get to DO anything). If you try fighting(at least on that version), the scenario was
not beatable on medium and hard. Needless to say a scenario without a good fight is not that interesting. This is why DD gets my vote for
first scenario up for rebalancing
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

santi wrote:Na'enthos:
none of the scenarios you mention is easier than DD(you actually need to fight in these scenarios)
if you follow a run strategy as suggested, i.e. recruit 4-5 horsemen for cover on round 1 and immediately get everyone (K'rad, Delf, Kalenz etc)
running for the right door, without bothering to retaliate when they get hit.
Elvish COuncil is not a playable scenario(you don't actually get to DO anything). If you try fighting(at least on that version), the scenario was
not beatable on medium and hard. Needless to say a scenario without a good fight is not that interesting. This is why DD gets my vote for
first scenario up for rebalancing
*shrugs* I still think they are easier.. simply because running in that scenario seems so unlikely to work.. but then, that may be just me.
scott

Post by scott »

How can you actually fight in dwarven doors unless you play on easy?
There aren't enough turns to keep Konrad in the castle for 2-3 turns, move him out, and have enough time to wade through the yellow and blue orcs in battle to get Konrad to safety.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Na'enthos wrote:
*shrugs* I still think they are easier.. simply because running in that scenario seems so unlikely to work.. but then, that may be just me.
Please try it!
On turn 1, get Delf and Kalenz running to the right door. Recruit 5 horsemen. Also get K'rad running to the right door
Throughout the scenario run straight with everybody to the right door
using the horsemen to shield K'rad (and to a lesser extent Delf and Kalenz). When they take blows, do NOT retaliate. In my case only DElf got
some hits from a fast orcish crossbow, but nothing to worry about.
If you play this and still think there is an easier scenario, please post it
Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

YAHOO!!! I finally beat it! I sent a griffin, a griffin master, a ranger and a... what are they called again, the next up from ranger? Oh well. I sent them down to kill the clan leader while I sent Kornad, and the rest of them along with a silver mague to take out green. I had to save and go back a couple turns a whole bunch of times but hey, I did it!

So is that the end of the campaign? When is the rest comming out?
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Porcupine wrote:When is the rest comming out?

Although you may need to hack your savefile to continue.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dacyn wrote:
Porcupine wrote:When is the rest comming out?

Although you may need to hack your savefile to continue.
in other words, its already out.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Doros

Post by Doros »

About Test of the Clans: I think it's way too hard. The only way I've found to beat it is to send 5 or 6 maxed out horsemen to assassinate the leader. If you do this, the early finish bonus is like 2000 gold, and the last scenario ends up being a joke (on easy, at least).

About Dwarven Doors: It's pretty easy if you run and use horsemen/scouts/griffins to block effectively, but I like it the way it is. There are some scenarios that are easy but fun (Muff Maal, Dwarven Doors, whatever that scenario is where you get the flaming sword...), and I think they greatly improve the game. While I like that this is an incredibly challenging game, it's nice to give the player a break occasionally and just let them tear apart a few orcs.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

santi wrote:Please try it!
On turn 1, get Delf and Kalenz running to the right door. Recruit 5 horsemen. Also get K'rad running to the right door
Throughout the scenario run straight with everybody to the right door
using the horsemen to shield K'rad (and to a lesser extent Delf and Kalenz). When they take blows, do NOT retaliate. In my case only DElf got some hits from a fast orcish crossbow, but nothing to worry about.
If you play this and still think there is an easier scenario, please post it
Hmm.. I tried a run and I guess I should have recruited at the castle in the centre and less offensive use of the horsemen (I did that so they might distract enemies by keeping them away from Konrad and co). As it is, I failed.

Anyway, going straight to the exit is unfair, IMHO. You shouldn't know about it and that's part of the scenario's difficulty.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Na'enthos wrote:Anyway, going straight to the exit is unfair, IMHO. You shouldn't know about it and that's part of the scenario's difficulty.
If a scenario's difficulty is based entirely on what you don't know about it, I think there is a problem. People will replay scenarios, and pretending that you do not know something which you do know while playing is not actually playing, IMO.
eugenelim

Post by eugenelim »

For Dwarven Doors, how about
a. making the opponents easier
b. making the right exit random

:lol: