You think a faction is underpowered? come here!

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nebula955

You think a faction is underpowered? come here!

Post by nebula955 »

Is a faction underpowered?
HomerJ

Re: You think a faction is underpowered? come here!

Post by HomerJ »

No.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Totally agree, not any mainline faction anyways...
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

You know, when you see a thread entitled "You think a faction is underpowered? come here!", the topic starter should have an answer or solution to the question.

Take a look at how the other thread with a similar name does it: It proposes a solution to dealing with such questions.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

XD LOLOL
nebula955 wrote:Is a faction underpowered?
HomerJ wrote:No.
Also, I think you should have some kind of idea of which faction is underpowered, because if there's no underpowered faction, there's no need for this topic.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
nebula955

Post by nebula955 »

i was deducing that if the overpowered thread had many supporters, and a faction being overpowered implies a different one is underpowered, that this thread would have around an equal amount of discussion.

still, let's start a random discussion and say that: undead is underpowered against more agile factions/units that counter main undead units, leading to theories like undead can't beat ulf+footpad spam and undead can't beat drakes.
the only unit capable of significant damage and above average is the adept. it's probably not wise to adepts unsupported by units that can cover them. the ghost can do that somewhat, but having 20 gold fodder is kind of iffy

suggestion: allow the undead trait of skeletons to perhaps increase movement at night. 15g is really expensive for just 7-3 with that speed, low hp, and when averaged out, due to the fact that most don't seek to attack it with the least effective methods, only mediocre resistances at best.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Did you read the other thread? It doesn't have many "supporters." It's a place for people to post why they think a faction is overpowered, so that more experienced players can explain to them why it's not.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

My opinion is that every Wesnoth faction is way too underpowered.
It even looks like they are all underpowered by the same amount.

I don't get why the devs don't fix that!
ParadiseCity

Post by ParadiseCity »

fabi wrote:My opinion is that every Wesnoth faction is way too underpowered.
It even looks like they are all underpowered by the same amount.

I don't get why the devs don't fix that!
That made me laugh :D .
"The harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -Thomas Jefferson
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

I say Undead is underpowered.

I mean, look at the Ghost, 20 gold for such mediocre HP and damage?, WTF?, it should have at least 30 HP and do twice as much damage, and it should also be invisible at all times, it's a Ghost after all.

Don't get me started on the Skeletons, such pathetic damage and they should have at least 100% percent blade and pierce resistance, after all, how the hell can you slash or pierce a bunch of bones?

And about the Walking Corpses... Come on, slow moving zombies?, that's so 90's, they should have at least 10 movement points, they are zombies and they can run forever without getting tired.

And why only the melee attack of the Necromancer has plague?, that doesn't makes sense AT ALL, what does he do?, bash the corpse until it raises?, IMO it would make more sense if his magical attacks would also make WCs.

They also should include the Chocobone, Death Knight and Skeletal Dragon in the multiplayer version, and make them all cheap level 1 units, the Undead are in desperate need of the charge/leadership/mass destruction they would bring to the table.

PD: the fact that i'm an Undead player has nothing to do with this fair, balanced and unbiased opinion.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Schierke wrote:I say Undead is underpowered.

I mean, look at the Ghost, 20 gold for such mediocre HP and damage?, WTF?, it should have at least 30 HP and do twice as much damage, and it should also be invisible at all times, it's a Ghost after all.

Don't get me started on the Skeletons, such pathetic damage and they should have at least 100% percent blade and pierce resistance, after all, how the hell can you slash or pierce a bunch of bones?

And about the Walking Corpses... Come on, slow moving zombies?, that's so 90's, they should have at least 10 movement points, they are zombies and they can run forever without getting tired.

And why only the melee attack of the Necromancer has plague?, that doesn't makes sense AT ALL, what does he do?, bash the corpse until it raises?, IMO it would make more sense if his magical attacks would also make WCs.
With all those changes to the ghost, it kinda seems the ghost would be pretty overpowered. Once it levels up, it's a really dangerous threat. The Baneblade does a good amount of damage and drains, and the Shadow's backstab makes it do a lot.

Walking Corpses, don't forget that they are dead, so they don't have much energy besides what the Necromancers power them with.

And about Skeletons, I have to disagree and say that maybe they are a tad overpowered. Their Pierce and Blade resistance rules out a lot of units, and they are stronger than the Spearman and Bowmen which are their equivalent.

About the Necromancer, probably balance. But, also it might be that he has to channel his power through his staff, and while his magic would just obliterate a foe, he would have to defeat it with his staff and then channel his power through it to revive it.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I think he was joking.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Xenzoi

Post by Xenzoi »

I don't think that any faction is too unbalanced. They can't be perfectly balanced, but as far as I'm concerned the developers have done a great job. they have made 6 well balanced factions with out making them carbon copies of each other.
The Northerners have cheap brutal units, but most them lack special attributes or abilities.
The Loyalists have the most variety but require planing and knowledge the opponent and surroundings, you don't wanna end up having to wade 15 Heavy infantry through a swamp.
The Rebels have good units for a good price, but need forests or a skilled commander to get them through.
The Knalgas the dwarven side is strong but slow, the Gryphons are good but expensive, and the outlaws are cheap but lack in power until they level up. This makes them an interesting faction to play.
The Undead they require skill and knowing what your units can take. the undead have unique skills but often times lack brutal raw force.(unless you count hordes of walking corpses)
The Drakes they have so much raw attack power, but most of them have poor defenses on most terrain and have weaknesses to pierce and cold.Also they put a dent in your wallet, drake units though good they don't come cheap.(except the saurian skirmisher)
They all have weaknesses and strengths. one may be infinitesimally better or worse then the rest but it will never make a difference it almost all depends on luck and skill.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Oh! I have an idea! we could make all factions have exactly the same units, with the same names and same sprites, traits, abilities, resistances, defences and attacks! that way they wouldn't be unbalanced!... this thread is just stupid... if someone thought a faction is underpowered... they'd just post the other five in the overpowered thread...so yeah... :)
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Elvish_Conquerer

Post by Elvish_Conquerer »

This Thread makes me laugh, especially the beginning, very witty comments guys. Also unless you drummed up enough support to get this stickied, it would go off the main page in a week or two, and nobody would bother. Interesting thread, but probably unpopular. Very funny though, good job guys.

Cheerfully,

Elvish Conquerer
"Not only that! He made the AI so smart that, it changes the RNG without affecting statistical analysis! So even if you calculate the probability of getting what you got, it seems reasonable, even though it isn't. We've uncovered a massive conspiracy!"