Walkthru on Dwarven road, help on Dwarven Doors

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Circon

Walkthru on Dwarven road, help on Dwarven Doors

Post by Circon »

The Dwarven road was fairly hard even on Easy. The trolls regenerated and kept walloping me, and when the second mage brought gryphons, it didnt exactly help, or that my Paladin couldnt cross mountains... So when I beat it at last, I felt like sharing some tips with others.
Here's what I did: I recruited 4 Gryphon Riders at the start, and recalled some other troops. On turn 3, the Gryphon Riders flew in to attack Whatshisface the Purple. The trolls counterattacked, but he still died on turn 4, leaving me with most of my troops intact for the battle with Whatshisface the Orange.

Can you put a notice saying that you win *either* by moving Konrad to the end, or by killing both the enemy mages?

The Dwarven Doors: I'm stuck here. Gryphon Riders wont help, as the enemies are mostly combat enemies.
Feels a bit unbalanced that the comp recruits Troll *Warriors*.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Hi Circon,

You must have had a decent amount of cash still intact to be able to recruit four gryphon riders at the start of Mountain Pass. Interesting that you used gryphons, apparently so effectively, I used all foot troops on that scenario.

It's an implied game rule that if you kill all enemy leaders on a scenario, you win instantly, but perhaps we should make that more clear.

At the Dwarvern Doors, you only have to get Konrad into the Dwarvern kingdom, not kill all enemies, so it's another 'running' scenario. I think I'm going to have to playtest that one more, but I would have thought that troll warriors wouldn't be so bad with their slow speed.

David
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

I used rangers and avengers during my mountain trip and used the dwarves as cover. On dwarven doors I had three avengers and three ranger that became avengers later on, so i just recruided lot of people and killed all leaders. I lost only one unit. First time i played I didn't train my soldiers right so I had only one avenger and did also fail on the dwarven doors.
Circon

Post by Circon »

@Dave: Yeah, the Troll Warriors would be balanced if they just didn't move so darn fast. There's too much grassland in the start, and I got unlucky with my eastern enemy getting 2 "Quick" trolls. Suggestion: Maybe add more hills and forests? A dwarven kingdom should have more hills.
Suggestion: Let the AI recruit all sorts of units. Troll Whelp as often as Troll Warrior. Time to move to the Balance and Feedback forum...

@KK_r: So you're saying: Use rangers and avengers on Dwarven Doors? Thanks for the tip.
I've gotten to the doors now, only to get <spoiler> &€%!@&#128;$£!!!! THE DOOR IS BLOCKED!! </spoiler>
Bazarov

Problems and Solutions

Post by Bazarov »

I had problems with the Mountain Pass the first time, not realizing you could just kill the upper wizard instead of getting to the end of the trail. I suppose I did sort of have to avoid killing him, maybe I was feeling pacifistic.
I replayed the whole game on Medium (went easy the first time) and smoked this scenario with a vicious trick. Two archmages and a Great Mage...recruited one gryphon, and let his massive army of trolls close in on my army, then flew the gryphon in grabbing the village near the first leader, then 'ported my three wizards in who offed the great mage in one pass (it did take one turn of movement to get to the leader). Sure, I missed the XP on all those trolls, but by this stage of the game, most of my units were not able to gain levels anyway.
Lessons:
The AI never keeps units around to defend itself. It probably should.
And villages too near castles can have a quick strike like this.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Okay, playing the Dwarvern Doors, I see that it is indeed too hard. It will be made easier in the next version.

Also, Mountain Pass will be altered substantially, and made a little easier as well (though still rather challenging).

David
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

Dave wrote:Okay, playing the Dwarvern Doors, I see that it is indeed too hard. It will be made easier in the next version.
difficulty = medium
versin .5: - definitely very hard
I played it over and over, and over, and when I finally managed to beat the level, I lost most everything.
Greate Mage,
3 paladins
sharpshooters
elven marshal.
not including the main characters, I lost everybody except for an Elvish champion, and an Elvish Avenger(hiding in the woods because he is to weak). Had I been one turn slower, I would have lost the champion, LiSar, and Delfador.

but with cvs( 11/29/03 ): I loaded my save file at the beginning. {i.e. same units/experience/money as above}
This time I wiped the board. my losses?
only 2 units.
1 thief - I just recuited him because I had some xtra money
1 swordsman - recalled (came with LiSar)

IMHO:
I think that the northwest badguy needs more money. He's to weak.
I ignored him until the last, and when my army (correction, half of my army) turned towards him, they just went thru the few orcs he had recruited and lopped his head off. maybe give him a boost in money towards the end of the level turns?
Last edited by BrassJ on December 4th, 2003, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-BrassJ
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

We might have a problem where the pendulum swings a little too far from too hard to too easy (or the opposite, as happened to Anduin in the last release).

Anyhow, I will undertake your suggestion and try increasing the income of the north-west leader. Hopefully it'll help.

David
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

The main problem is that the difficulty depends on how you have been playing the other levels, as I said in my previous post, it was way easy second time I played the level. Unfortunately do I not have any ideas how you can solve it, leveling units and recalling them is great.
isaac
Inactive Developer

Dwarven Doors

Post by isaac »

I have managed to defeat all enemies in this scenario. In fact, I think that this is easier than run. I don't remember of getting any bonus for defeating all enemies.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I beat it the same way isaac, and thought it was easier than trying to run all the way to the end of the level. One advantage is that you probably lose less troops if you are lucky enough to kill both leaders, another advantage is that you get a lot of extra gold if you finish early.
farfrael

Dwarven door - wesnoth version 0.6.1

Post by farfrael »

Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot for that great game. If you need some help to translate in French i might be able to help, just send me an email.

Really nice game, got into it pretty much. Playing the standard campain in normal and so far i was going along decently.
I foung the game neither too easy nor too difficult and i finally arrived at the Dwarven doors scenario.

And i am stuck :? :oops:

The thing is that i only start with 100 gold => 5 units to recall max
Even with 4 paladins and a white mage i don't make it. i tried running to the door, made it once and due to <spoiler> i got whipped out.

Decided to try a slower approach => they have too many troops, killed me slowly but surely

Then tried to kill a boss => barely made it to him and got whipped out by their combined forces

Trying to seize farms doesn't really seem possible, too few units to control them (only 5 due to 100 gold) and they are spread out too far
from my castle

So .... don't really know what to do :(

Any advice/suggestion are welcome !
Even a way to bypass this scenario ... I am getting tired of these "running around" maps. I'd really appreciate a large, balanced map to allow me to recrute and level a few more units :D

Anay way, thanks again for that GREAT game
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

just played through the campaign again, had a lot more gold and units...I think you have to play some of the previous levels again and get more experienced units, and of course gold to recall them.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sorry to revive this thread, i think i need help on this level.
I won it easily on easy, but now, on medium, i am stuck. I can recall:
2 great mages
8 avengers
4 paladins
3 champions
1 shyde
1 mage of light
plus a red mage and a bunch of third level units. whenever i move out on the first turn, i do not have enough troops, whenever i do not, those $^%* goblin pillagers come at me from behind.
any advice?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Dwarven Doors-hard on Medium

Post by santi »

I played DD on Easy under version 6.1, and finished off the eastern and northwestern commander as well as the **spoiler** monster in the lake
, tried the wrong door and was closing in on the last remaining commander when Konrad got to the right door.
Now under version 7 on Medium things are very tough: I start with 186 gold and although I have 3 paladins, one white mage, one mage of light
and one more mage about to upgrade , plus 3-4 Elvish champs, an elvish marksman and a captain, plus more, I just don't have the gold to recrui them all. Anyone else won Dwarven Doors on Wesnoth 7 with that kind of gold?

santi