LoW: Costly Revenge Help

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ucanpogaca

LoW: Costly Revenge Help

Post by ucanpogaca »

Hi guys. I know there are two other topics regarding this scenario but they were for older versions and do not contain much information.

As you know with 1.7 we can't recall or recruit shamans in this scenario. Which makes it hard two move because elves are not that good with snow. So I need some help. I just couldn't get it done no matter how many times I tried.

My unit list:
Kalenz and Landar at level 3
2x Elvish Hero
2x Elvish Ranger
Elvish Captain

I have 100 gold.
Skrim

Re: LoW: Costly Revenge Help

Post by Skrim »

You're recall list is really puny, as is your gold supply.

By this time, last time I played this campaign, I had lots of Level 3 units; of course, it was 1.6 and I also had Sylphs and Shydes, but even without using them the mission was very doable. I just formed a battle line along the forest edge and mauled the Saurians as they came. Of course, it was only possible because I had about 2-3 L3 units of each type, several L2s as well, and enough gold to recall them. I've been playing through in 1.7 also, and though I haven't reached this point yet, I still have many L2s and several L3s as of Acquaintance in Need.

Also note that, apart from your loyal units, all of your troops are expendable in this scenario, regardless of their level, because you will not be keeping them in the next scenario.
ucanpogaca

Post by ucanpogaca »

I don't know if there used to be forests in the map, but there is none atm. So the only place I can get a decent defense is my castle. I will try to wait there but I doubt I can get all the saurians before I run out of turns because they seem a little bit scared to attack. Anyway I could really use a strategy. I am stuck at this scenario.
Crab
Inactive Developer

Post by Crab »

ucanpogaca wrote:I don't know if there used to be forests in the map, but there is none atm.
Note: forests were absent due to a bug, which was recently fixed.
ucanpogaca

Post by ucanpogaca »

Thanks, I'll try with 1.7.5.
ucanpogaca

Post by ucanpogaca »

Still no good. Enemy mages just ignores my %70 defense with their magical attacks and there's just too many of them. Should I play the previous scenario again so I can start with more gold or are my 7 units enough?
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

ucanpogaca wrote:Still no good. Enemy mages just ignores my %70 defense with their magical attacks and there's just too many of them. Should I play the previous scenario again so I can start with more gold or are my 7 units enough?
Nope, those 7 units are not enough. Here's what I had when I played this in 1.7.5:

Level 3s:
7 x Elvish Champion
4 x Elvish Sharpshooter
2 x Elvish Avenger
1 x Elvish Marshal
1 x Elvish High Lord
1 x Elvish Outrider

Level 2s:
2 x Elvish Hero (both nearly leveled)
1 x Elvish Ranger
1 x Elvish Rider

1012 Gold

Apart from this, I had 3 Sylphs, 3 Shydes, 1 Enchantress, 2 Sorceresses, and I think 1 Druid, all of whom were unavailable for this mission.

I managed to do this mission while losing 1 Sharpshooter, a whole lot of throwaway Fighters, and I think a Scout. Of course, I had to quit the campaign at End of War because:
Spoiler:
Attachments
LOW-Costly_Revenge_replay.gz
(53.43 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Skrim wrote:Of course, I had to quit the campaign at End of War because
That's the last scenario anyway?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

It is, yes. Another strange bug there was that Landar had turned back into a level-1 Archer.