Muff Malal Peninsula (HttT 5)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shawnl13

Muff Malal Peninsula (HttT 5)

Post by shawnl13 »

I dont see how u beat this level I know u can just run away but I want to kill him.. when I do try I just get overrun every single time I try to come forward and I start beating them but they make 4 people per turn when I dont have enough gold this is probably a general problem with how im playing and not the level itself...
Caphriel

Re: Muff Malal Peninsula (HttT 5)

Post by Caphriel »

You're probably right about it being a general problem, but to get any useful help, you'll have to provide more information. You can describe your strategy, but more useful would be posting a demo. You could also look up the walkthrough and see what it has to offer.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It would be easiest if you can post a replay.

However as for general aprouch I'd say that what you want to do is to send some elves to attack on the west side where there is forest, have some horsemen with Konrad and maybe a mage attack on the east side after you recruit the elves, and have the merman with the storm trident head to sea to remove some of his income and kill fliers.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
shawnl13

Post by shawnl13 »

Think I got my problems down.. im not focusing enough on the time of day because im getting frustrated, Im not sending guys from both sides which could help... and im trying to rush things. Also perhaps the biggest problem, earlier in the game I did not get the importance of getting guys to level up, I underestimated its usefulness so now I have few stronger guys to aid me only one level 2 marksmen and konrad isnt even level 2 yet although hes close.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

I remember doing this mission using only Elvish Heroes, Knights and Mermen, with an obligatory Mage tagging along and stealing kills and a Marksman for the heck of it. The Knights and Heroes, given their strong melee abilities, could cut their way through hordes of WCs without much trouble, and the Mermen occupied the swamps and distracted them. It was just an exercise in rotating units as the WC hordes wore down their HP, eventually fighting my way up to Muff Malal and taking him out with the Marksman, a Knight, a storm-trident armed Merman, and the Mage(who leveled into a Red Mage upon killing him).
Konrad and a Scout went around collecting villages the entire time.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

On the contrary I found this a great level for leveling up low level units. I ussually bring in a single knight and an elvish captain though (for leadership/tanking). It helps to come into the next level with as many level 2/high xp level 1s as possible so I try to give experiance to other units.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
shawnl13

Post by shawnl13 »

I'm going to keep in mind what you guys said and try again, if I lose ill post a replay btw im playing on normal.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Horsemen positively slaughter adepts and corpses. Throw some mages in, and of course any level two units you might happen to have. Elvish fighters can handle adepts too.

I also like to recall some mermen to grab the water villages, and possible attack the undead keep from the water (though they don't usually do so well). Their are a few later scenarios though where leveled mermen might be useful, so the XP might be good to get. I also like to send a horseman north to grab some of the more remote villages.

Also, be aware of time of day, and try to be on terrain with good defense at night, with your more vulnerable units kept back away from the fight. Attack at day.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Elvish Scientist

Post by Elvish Scientist »

Long time ago since I played this level. But I remember sending a knight and a small number of mermen for distant villages and distracting undead forces. A fair number of fighters and mages as main force was enough to beat them.
shawnl13

Post by shawnl13 »

I beat them! But in the process I discovered that I take WAY to many risks. Ok... so I only had 2 or 3 level 2 guys when I started the level they all died so I continue to then next level with no leveled guys which was the purpose of playing the level yeah! But i can still beat the following level because if you infiltrate the city you rape the orcs so I just gotta be more careful for now on.
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

hm, I always thought about MM as one of the easiest scenarios (since they removed the temple trap).

Send to merfolk south - one with the storm trident and the surviving pristess, capturing villages.

Send a scout and knight west, to capture villages, and come down on the west coast.

Send an army consistent of a captain, druids, shydes, mages, and one or two horsemen, rangers, as tanks, to the southwest, butcher your way through. You can send an army made up of lvl1 units and easily beat it.

This level is great for leveling mages and shamans. Also elvish fighters, horsemen (since dark adepts don't fight back. Weaken them with a fighter, kill them with a horseman).
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

shawnl13 wrote:I beat them! But in the process I discovered that I take WAY to many risks. Ok... so I only had 2 or 3 level 2 guys when I started the level they all died so I continue to then next level with no leveled guys which was the purpose of playing the level yeah! But i can still beat the following level because if you infiltrate the city you rape the orcs so I just gotta be more careful for now on.
restart the game.

When you get out of the first level you should have at least one leveled unit. After Blackport 2 two or 3. Isle of Anduin is training ground. Havin AT LEAST 5 units on lvl2 is a must. Bay of Pearls? You can lvl at least 3 units here. Maybe four or five. Muff? This is great for leveling too.

Elensefar needs all the lvl2+3 units you can muster - and it gets worse afterwards. Seriously, if you don't have a bunch of leveled units after MMP you are screwed.
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

I just started HttR (I removed all my old savegames and replays..) and rushed to MMP

The attached replay should give you an idea. It is not 'perfect' but it should be enough for showing how it is done quick and easy.
(I sucked the previous scenario - not enough leveling there and I did some mistakes on recalls - but hey..)
Attachments
HttT-Muff_Malal's_Peninsula_replay.gz
(39.13 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

energyman76c wrote:restart the game.

When you get out of the first level you should have at least one leveled unit. After Blackport 2 two or 3. Isle of Anduin is training ground. Havin AT LEAST 5 units on lvl2 is a must. Bay of Pearls? You can lvl at least 3 units here. Maybe four or five. Muff? This is great for leveling too.

Elensefar needs all the lvl2+3 units you can muster - and it gets worse afterwards. Seriously, if you don't have a bunch of leveled units after MMP you are screwed.
While it might save frusteration and replays later to restart now, it is in no way strictly nessissary to do so if you only have a couple of level 2s by this scenario.

The difficulty of Elensefar, relative to the the preceding scenarios, is in my opinion overrated.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
shawnl13

Post by shawnl13 »

I started playing another scenario, ive gotten better at Wesnoth latley and Elsenfar isnt hard when I played it if you infiltrate the city you can beat the orcs pretty fast then you just movie on to the undead