Has anyone tried to finish the Siege fo Elensefar on hard?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taras

Has anyone tried to finish the Siege fo Elensefar on hard?

Post by taras »

Currently I have great problems with that level.
Is it possible to win that scenario with the 120 starting amount of gold?
I tried to break the orcs' defense with cavalerie or mermans but all in vain as there to many of them.
My version of the game is 1.7.
Thank you for your attention.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried to finish the Siege fo Elensefar on hard?

Post by Velensk »

I would say that if you're coming into this level (on hard) with 120 gold, you should probably go backwards and try to reach it with more. That is enough to recall one castle of troops max, and you will probably need more than 8 units.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Lone_Isle

Post by Lone_Isle »

The campaign levels are not designed to be played individually without you finishing the previous levels in an optimum manner, i.e. Having a good roster of leveled units and finishing each level reasonably quickly as to get a decent gold bonus.'

If you cannot see yourself possibly completing this level, then go back to the start and start again.
Ladder Name: Idle
Preference: Drake
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Lone_Isle wrote:The campaign levels are not designed to be played individually without you finishing the previous levels in an optimum manner, i.e. Having a good roster of leveled units and finishing each level reasonably quickly as to get a decent gold bonus.'

If you cannot see yourself possibly completing this level, then go back to the start and start again.
Or at least that's the case on anything but the easiest difficulty. On the easiest difficulty (for novice campaigns anyway) it should be well possible to finish scenarios with the absolute minimum (even if it'd be hard for a newbie player). However, on hard, there's no guarantees that it's feasible to be able to win a scenario no matter what you did in the previous ones.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Wait, what? I may be parsing your sentence wrong, but it seems to be implying that there are impossible scenarios. As in, no matter how much gold/recall list you have, it doesn't give you a chance to win. And I don't think that's ever been the case o_O.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

You are - he means that on hard, it is possible to come to a scenario without enough gold/recalls to win. Not that there are scenarios wherein this is inevitable.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
taras

Post by taras »

Well, I've managed to finish that scenario on challenging level of difficulty yesterday.
I had to replay the Bay of Pearls to gain more money. In 1.7 version only 40% of the gold you have and of the bonus is saved for the next scenario. So in the beginning if the level I had 192 gold pieces and some knights to recall.
There is a little trick on the level. If you enter the necromancer's domain directly then it will trigger the trap and a friendly company of skeletons will greet you. But if you enter the cave from the left side nothing like that will happen and you'll have to fight the lone necromancer. I had few time so was obliged to use that trick to finish the level.
Right now I am stuck in the alley of the Damned as there are too many of foul undead that I lose useful units like grand knights and 2-level mages during defense of the central castle. My dream is to beat all three necromancers although I feel I need more money in the beginning.
Thanks for your attention.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

i always hated this lvl. my tactic: recruit a few units and run like hell. one lich only gets walking corpses, so u can outrun them, but there are so many u can't out fight them. another has strong skeletons and a third has skeletons and bats. if u finsh the lvl by running 2 survive u only have 2 face the bats.

(this was a year ago and i haven't played the campaign since.
Joram

Post by Joram »

wesfreak wrote:i always hated this lvl. my tactic: recruit a few units and run like hell. one lich only gets walking corpses, so u can outrun them, but there are so many u can't out fight them. another has strong skeletons and a third has skeletons and bats. if u finsh the lvl by running 2 survive u only have 2 face the bats.

(this was a year ago and i haven't played the campaign since.
It seems to me that you are thinking of the wrong level (perhaps The Valley of Death?). The siege of Elensfar features Orcish Warrior, Crossbowmen, and assassins in a moated town, and a necromancer with a bunch of skeletons in a cave north of that that you have to fight through.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Joram wrote: It seems to me that you are thinking of the wrong level (perhaps The Valley of Death?). The siege of Elensfar features Orcish Warrior, Crossbowmen, and assassins in a moated town, and a necromancer with a bunch of skeletons in a cave north of that that you have to fight through.
You know, I had that impression too, but the last post before his (actually the last paragraph) was about Valley of Death, so, yeah, besides the thread necromancy, he's fine.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Joram

Post by Joram »

Oops. Ah well. Never post in threads you've only skimmed. :(
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Joram wrote:Oops. Ah well. Never post in threads you've only skimmed. :(
Or never post in threads when you are only necroing them to comment on a campaign you have not played in a year...
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

HomerJ wrote:
Joram wrote: It seems to me that you are thinking of the wrong level (perhaps The Valley of Death?). The siege of Elensfar features Orcish Warrior, Crossbowmen, and assassins in a moated town, and a necromancer with a bunch of skeletons in a cave north of that that you have to fight through.
You know, I had that impression too, but the last post before his (actually the last paragraph) was about Valley of Death, so, yeah, besides the thread necromancy, he's fine.

Greetz
HomerJ
Actually, I had that impression too, the poster referred to "alley of the Damned" when he was actually talking about "Valley of Death", and not about "Isle of the Damned", because as per my knowledge IotD does not allow you to lose Grand Knights or Level 2 Mages... it's only the fifth scenario.
I am of two minds; I shall be complete when I can bring them into harmony.